What AIRGUN!

Shiver

Hi all

Great forum! I have been getting into the shooting scene and am really enjoying it and have met some fantastic people. I recently purchaced my 1st shotgun (682 gold e) and am trying to get into the 'clay' scene and slowly doing so and enjoying it!

Anyway I have recently been given permission to shoot on a farm nearby but due to the way the farm is set out I think I will be more successful with a airgun. Now the big question - Which one?! I am sure a lot of you are sick of this querry but please help!!! I will be shooting, for the time being, woodys, rabbits and tree rats. I need something that is very quiet but with all the possible oompf. Just by looking through mags and internet I have a few in mind, BSA Hornet, BSA Super 10, AA 410 or Logun solo. Is it better to have multi shot or is a single shot sufficient? And the calibre.....17 or .22 for the above use?

I know this is a broad topic but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Why no mention of a spinger? B)

As a bit of advice, I strongly suggest you buy a decent secondhand springer for around 130 pounds, say a decent HW80 or HW77 or similar, and use that untill you have mastered it.

The reason for this is if you buy an expensive logun solo or AA S410, you will need a high pressure pump, or divers bottle, leads, adaptors, cases, and everything else. And should you suddenly decide airguns are not for you, you cant just sell all the kit back, as PCP kit is being updated everyday almost, and all your kit will depreciate.

Gun a springer in either .22 or .177 (they both have the same killing potential) and see how it goes. If you like it, are you are doing well, either stick with that gun, or upgrade to PCP after.

Trust me, you will be a far better shot if you start with a springer. You will learn follow through, you will learn to hold the gun a lot better, then developing bad habbits like PCP people do (me included) that makes it difficult to use a springer again once you use PCP.

Welcome to the board, enjoy your stay! and I hope the above makes a bit of sense..

Thanks for what seems to be some really sensible advice. I was just concerned that a springer would not be 'powerful' enough to effectively take down a rabbit or pigeon. Obviously I know it depends on shot placement but do you get springers that are as powerful as the legal limit allows without a FAC? Also can a springer be silenced to an extent? I owned 1 as a kid and remember it to be quite noisey?!

Many thanks again for the advice.

All decent springers will be full legal limit and with modern springs will stay that way, you can silence them but it is not as effective because of the noise of the piston etc. however a good quality springer won't be too loud without the classic loud "twang".

thid may suprise you to fnd out, but a new spring powered air rifle will probably be more powerful ut of the facory than a NEW PCP rifle!!!!!!

This is becasue the industry is pretty much self regulating and to ensure all rifles are within the legal limit regardless of what pellets are used, the majority of PCP rifles are now being shipped runnign around 10.5f.lbs, but if useing a heavey weight pellt this could go up to 12flbs! (its just a bit of a loopy tajectory :good:)

From the sounds of it your getting a rifle to do a job? will the rifle be used after its dont the job? will you be joining a club?

if your only getting a rifle to do a job, and to do it as best you can i would recomend the following:

AA S410 (.177 woudl be my choice due to the flat trajectory, ie less hold over/under needed)

silencer

scope 3-9x40 (30/30 ret wil do the job)

normaly you can get a decent one in second hand condition for around 320-340

sling

bi-pod

not essential but well worth while investing in them.

and most importantly a pump or charge equipment, unless your a diver or have one next door, you will need to get either a pump or a divers bottle.

a pump can be bought from around 100 a divers bottle could cost around 180 for a decent size and capacity (12Ltr 300 bar, the first number is the size of the bottle ie 3-15ltr and the second number is the amount of presure it can hold or be charged up to, this is normaly between 202-300 bar, the bigger this number the better, if you have a 3ltr 202bar bottle you might get a couple of fills before it needs to be refilled by a dive centre, if you have a 3ltr 300 bar bottle you could get a good few fills before it needs to be re filled. There is an exel program out there somewere that works out the number of fills per cylinder, and i shall try to find a link to to). But the pump can go up to around 250bar some people say its hard work, i dont thknk its that bad, as long as your not filling a bottle type rifle up that is LOL

ok thikn hat covers the tool airgun.

now if you have time to learn how to shoot an air rifle a spring rifle is the way to go, anyone can pick up a PCP rifle and hit targets shot after shot, had an 11 year old turn up at the club yesterday, first time been shooting and he had an s200 within 2 hours he was hitting golf balls out to 50 yards!!!!!!! But to be able to do those shots witha spring rifle, it can be done but you need to be able to practise.

a spring rifle is probably one of the cheapest ways to learn how to shoot any form of rifle, pellets are cheap and can be used on almost any land (where you have permision), including your back garden!!!!! I have to say that when you do a good shot with a spring rifle you will be thi king about that shot all day long and have a big smile knwing you did good.

BUT.... you can get bad days with spring rifles, where nothing you aim at goes down, and every shot misses! this will be nothing to do with the rifle or the scope, it will just be down to the person shooting it! Belive me its happend to me pleanty of times LOL and of course the worst thing is, you ask someone to check your rifle from you and they hit everything!!!!!

the very best thing about spring rifles is CONSISTANCY a PCP rifle will start to loose power from the first shot, normaly by about 3-5fps every shot, some rifles it will be better some a little worse. But with a spring rifle, if you ad a variation of 5fps over 5 shots i would be suprised, you dont have to worry about how many shots you have done, you dont have to worry about if there is enough air in the ottle to refill the rifle, just grab the rifle grab a tin of pellets and your good for a days shooting! (at least until the pellets last LOL)

but as i said for a tool to do a job the AA S410 would be at the top of my list of rifle to try.

ROB B)

Hi Shiver,

welcome to the Forum. B)

There's not much I can add to what Roblade has already said.

I've got an AA S410 now, but I learnt with springers.

The BSA Lightning is an excellent springer and comes with a fitted silencer.

With a decent scope you should be able to get one for under £200 new.

But don't forget to have a look around the "Buy, Sell or Swap" section on this Forum.

You might find a bargain - PCP or Springer. :good:

the Lizard

.22 AA S410 all day long.

Don't touch a springer.

In all honesty, don't bother considering anything else other than an S410 (or an equivalent). You will be wasting your money and trading whatever you buy in for an S410. The only questions would be how long it would take you to realise that you should have bought an S410 and then how much you will get on a trade in for the gun you bought and wished you hadn't.

I started with an underlever BSA airsporter then a BSA meteor and briefly some highly sprung Weihrauch. I then went and saw the nice chaps at Rayleigh air gun centre, got an S410 and the rest is history. Full power, repeat shots, no recoil, dead accurate, whisper quiet, light weight.

Would I ever go back to a springer? Hell no, why bother - really why? I have no sense of nostalgia for inferior anything.

I still have the BSA airsporter and haven't fired it in ooo perhaps 7 years...

Come to think of it. Ignore all of the above. I have a nice underlever bsa airsporter for sale - got one of those "high powered" springs in it as well..... barely used (one agoraphobic nun).....

Edited by Mungler

If a pcp seems to expensive then you can get a very similar style gun with a co2 rifle, for much much less. i bought an airmagnum which is 10.5 lb. It is very accurate and very quite with silencer fitted. It retails at £199 (£6 for each 200 shot refill). No recoil with these either.

On the other hand, I like old school so have just bought a very decent, full power springer with built in muffler. I have not got it yet but from what i have heard, I won't be disspointed.

I don't do ft, I am not in a club, and just use mine for plinking and hunting. PCP are very expensive especially if you are not going to use it very often.

The aa410 or aa400 are both excellent rifles accurate very quiet with silencer and have a good name logun not such a good name but still i think some good rifles. But their are lots of very good springer about TX200 being one of them, but a springer takes a little more skill for want of a better word I use both and enjoy using them, I personally would not hunt with CO2 as the power changes with the weather conditions but this is only my opinion. Go to a club and try different rifles before you buy most clubs will welcome you :P

The aa410 or aa400 are both excellent rifles accurate very quiet with silencer and have a good name logun not such a good name but still i think some good rifles. But their are lots of very good springer about TX200 being one of them, but a springer takes a little more skill for want of a better word I use both and enjoy using them, I personally would not hunt with CO2 as the power changes with the weather conditions but this is only my opinion. Go to a club and try different rifles before you buy most clubs will welcome you :P

I have just bought a tx200 mk2. Considered one of the best.

There are some very good replies in this thread. However, I wouldnt go for a springer for the job in hand. In my opinion you may as well get the right rifle to start with and avoid having to chop and change to get to it later.

The AA-S410 is indeed a useful bit of kit and very fashionable on this forum. But try one out first before you buy. My money would be on a bigger capacity buddy bottle. As and when I get another rifle it will be a Theoben Rapid 7. .22 for me all the way, which will give you a better return on the number of shots you get on a PCP. In my opinion they hit harder and are less affected by wind shift. If you have fat fingers like me, easier to load too. :P

If a pcp seems to expensive then you can get a very similar style gun with a co2 rifle, for much much less. i bought an airmagnum which is 10.5 lb. It is very accurate and very quite with silencer fitted. It retails at £199 (£6 for each 200 shot refill). No recoil with these either.

On the other hand, I like old school so have just bought a very decent, full power springer with built in muffler. I have not got it yet but from what i have heard, I won't be disspointed.

I don't do ft, I am not in a club, and just use mine for plinking and hunting. PCP are very expensive especially if you are not going to use it very often.

Im suprised you attepmting to tell people to hunt with one of these rifles Colin!!!! llook at all the sucess you have had with it!!!!

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A Co2 RIFLE EVER BE USED PURLEY FOR PEST CONTROL!!!!! The power levels are insuficiant to ensure a humane dispatch of the quarry and are too temreamental to hot and cold weather giveing inconsistant aim points.

Only Spring powered, PCP and single stroke pneumatic rifles should be considered for hunting, Co2 sould be kept for garden plinking, or rats out to 25 yards.

ROB :P

ps note to colin, you have learnt the hard way about hunting with Co2 so please dont advise others to follow in your steps and it might be an idea to edit you post above.

Im suprised you attepmting to tell people to hunt with one of these rifles Colin!!!! llook at all the sucess you have had with it!!!!

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A Co2 RIFLE EVER BE USED PURLEY FOR PEST CONTROL!!!!! The power levels are insuficiant to ensure a humane dispatch of the quarry and are too temreamental to hot and cold weather giveing inconsistant aim points.

Only Spring powered, PCP and single stroke pneumatic rifles should be considered for hunting, Co2 sould be kept for garden plinking, or rats out to 25 yards.

ps note to colin, you have learnt the hard way about hunting with Co2 so please dont advise others to follow in your steps and it might be an idea to edit you post above.

Answer me this then: why do you think crosman call one of their CO2 rifles a rabbitstopper? 10.4ft/lbs is plenty to take out quarry up to rabbit size, easily out to 20+metres,

As for what rifle to get Shiver, i would go for an Air Arms S410 in whatever calibre you prefer,

Cheers

SS

Answer me this then: why do you think crosman call one of their CO2 rifles a rabbitstopper? 10.4ft/lbs is plenty to take out quarry up to rabbit size, easily out to 20+metres,

As for what rifle to get Shiver, i would go for an Air Arms S410 in whatever calibre you prefer,

Cheers

SS

Only in warm weather a well known fact co2 has has power loss in cold weather conditions. But I agree 410 every time but a good springer you don't have to lug a pump or bottle around. Lots of for and against when it comes to Hunting but co2 really shouldent be recomended for anything living again only my opinion :lol:

Edited by Davej

my kingratcatcher has no probs taking woodys/rats at 20-25 yards, i have bagged woodys in the winter when there has been frost and ice on the ground and the rifle still dropped it without any hassle atall

just my thoughts, co2 rifles are very under estimated, especially the ratty and king ratty

Edited by mr_jack

There are some very good replies in this thread. However, I wouldnt go for a springer for the job in hand. In my opinion you may as well get the right rifle to start with and avoid having to chop and change to get to it later.

The AA-S410 is indeed a useful bit of kit and very fashionable on this forum. But try one out first before you buy. My money would be on a bigger capacity buddy bottle. As and when I get another rifle it will be a Theoben Rapid 7. .22 for me all the way, which will give you a better return on the number of shots you get on a PCP. In my opinion they hit harder and are less affected by wind shift. If you have fat fingers like me, easier to load too. :blush:

I know this is a matter of opinion but if you want to learn to shoot with the correct technique and form then it is VITAL to learn on a springer. It is easy to get good results with bad technique on a p.c.p.

I f you just want to shoot then yeah straight in with a p.c.p. if however you want to learn a craft hen start with a springer. I know that certain people such as the Terry Does and George Stevens of this world have the same opinion and they have forgotten more than I'll ever know!

However you are right about the AA410 to a certain extent, it might be a fantastic gun but it has to fit the shooter. However why a bigger capacity? How hunting shots do you take per trip? I pump the rifle up and take about 40-50 shots max before re pumping. Always in the sweet spot so no P.O.I. shift!!

Oh and .22 all the way as well :drinks:

Thanks all very much for the replies all very helpfull indeed. Well I purchased a AA TX200HC and am very happy with it. I have set it up which was very straight forward and have been out looking for the bunnies.... ! More on that later..

The reason I went for the spring option was I decided that it was less 'hassle' than having a PCP- pick up pellets and gun and off I go which is what I wanted- as long as it was powerful enough to do the job and I am told it is.

Now I went out looking, hiding, stalking...these bunnies but they are too clever and make off as soon as I set foot anywhere withing 100meters of them- harder than I thought it would be!!! Any advice will be appreciated!! I intend to go out at dawn and evenings.

Thanks again for all the help!

Shiver