my mistake

bignoel

With a spaniel so hot and desperate to chase, sitting in a hide will never be a success. I would also take all advice given on a forum, bin it, and take the advice of someone who has actually seen and worked with the dog. Until you've worked with a dog like this you have NO idea what you're up against.

Never heard of the whole gun pack thing but if the dog will have a happy and active life then fair enough.

I go out regularly with gun packs we also operate a pack of terriers on smaller bits like whin banks etc if it was'nt for the help of the Scottish Hill Pack Association we would have been totally ****** by the Watson bill in Scotland. The bulk of the work in Parliament at that time came from the SHPA the National Working Terrier Federation and the Scottish Gamekeepers Association.All these experts on do you fancy a chance

at this one 3yr old Jack Russell bad with other dogs cant be trusted with people especially children not stock brocken and pulls like a pitbull on the lead I've been asked to find a good home for it ANY TAKERS?

the dog in question was 10mth old when i bought him. that was 4 mths ago ? you have never seen springers in a gun pack or springer crosses ie the beagal x springer .the warrener sent me two to join the pack i once owned . it amazes me how you all can speculate on a dog you have never seen or met .the dog in question worked well on the whistle but would not settle to a hide . as i am more of a pigeon/crow shooter and not a phesant flusher with a dog he was not suited after trialing . as to the home he has gone to he will be flushing and on the beating line . try tiny 7 on THL he will tell you how his new dog is going .thankyou for all your concerns .noel

well i thought i would treat myself to a new dog i got offerd a springer dog 10mths old .the lady owner bought him as a pet from working stock but found she couldnt manage him anymore .so i bought him within a few hard weeks he was doing quite well sit stay retreive heal .but recall was a nightmare and i just could not stop him chaseing flys butterflys birds anything infact .but i liked him so the next course was a gundog trainer after 4 weeks in he is spot on on recall to the whistle BUT the trainer has told me he has this hunting chaseing embeded in his head and out side the enclosure he is gone he wont make a line dog he wont make a pigeon hide dog he just has this hunt in his head .the lady who owned him told me recently she just allowed him to run riot .so a exspensive lesson learnd .

Sorry BN that new tale doesnt tally with your origonal tale

Always makes me laugh the amount of people that are happy to shift on useless dogs. The spaniel that this thread was started about probably could of gone to good use as a gundog if someone handy had given it a chance. I personally think nearly any dog with alot of go can be trained by the right person. Training a dog with no hunting instinct is alot harder.

And as for the terrier that ive quoted... theres only one thing that should be done with that dog, and handing it on to another owner isnt the right thing. Its no wonder theres so many **** terriers about.

I'm trying to be diplomatic when I give the owner the news he thinks someone would actually want a dog with that track record. :no:

There are some dogs that are probably trainable but are just not worth the effort as a real headstrong springer will put your head away. I had one that was just completely mental and had no interest in being trained. If you like a challenge go for it but most people have lives away from their dogs and to be honest the time spent trying to get this boy anywhere near presentable was going to send me completely mental!