Air rifle advice?

Teal

Thinking of getting a Webley Longbow, I had been planning on a Tomahawk a year ago, but I did not have the funds - now its been replaced I am glad I did not buy one :blink:

At JSR I see they are for sale and obviously since it needs a scope I should go for the Combo deal for £254.

My questions

1) One piece mounts - £10 extra - what difference do they make? Is it worth it?

2) The scope in the combo - Hawke Sport HD 3-9 x 40 is it any good?

3) Should I do an upgrade - which one should I upgrade to, money is not really a huge issue and I want to get something I won't regret later, the Hawke Sport 3-9x 50 Dawn&dusk is £20 more and the Tasco Varmint 6-24x42 PX Rangefinder is £40 added to the combo, are either of these worth it and good?

Thanks in advance -> I'm going to be using this air rifle mainly for hunting, in particular wabbits, pigeons, magpies and crows :lol:

The reason I'm thinking of getting that Tasco scope even if it is + £40 is it has the mildot reticule and I have heard good things about this :blink: There was one other scope the Hawke Pro Stalk 4-14x50 PX BDC Rangefinder which is £85 added to the combo but I reckon that is really designed for FAC rifles which would can actually all the features to the max - is this right?

Cheers :lol:

IMO,the hawke/tasco stuff is good kit for the price,i havea 6x42 mildot on an airgun and yes the mildot reticule is very handy and easy to use day or night.The hawke sport scopes are bottom of the hawke range(they have 3 different lense coatings, HD,CLS and HT.(my mildot is a cls which is pretty good and cost about 60 quid i think)so the sport 3-9x50 will still have the same quality HD glass ie bottom of the range as the 3-9x40 in the combo price.The tasco 6-24x42 i think is the same as the hawke varmint,this has ht optics (ie,the dogs nadgers :blink: )i would confirm this with them though as i only have a debin catilogue here and there is no tasco stuff in it.The pro stalk is according to the brocure "built to withstand the most powerful rifles recoil" so seemsto be intended for c/f rifles but looks a real nice scope.Is there anywhere you can have a look at some of these?loads of shops are pushing Hawke/Tasco stuff at the moment :lol:

Why not try to get a second hand pcp? I think it's worth the little extra

egnwt I'm a newbie with airguns but assume a PCP is a charged rifle which you need scuba bottles and the like. I would like a springer as theres no need for fiddling about with bottles and I also like the idea of powering the shot myself :lol: also don't want the extra expense to get the bottles every time... I'm leaning towards an AA now, either a TX200HC or a Prosport only thing holding me back is the weight which is quite heavy at 8.5 -> 9lbs in weight :blink: I guess I just am going to have to try them out ???

The AA springers are without doubt the best there is but you are correct in that they're heavy. My preference is always for a single piece mount on a springer and I'd go mil-dot on the scope especially in .22 due to the trajectory. The varmint scopes are extremely variable in quality from rubbish to OK at best. You definately want to look through one before you buy - though personally I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. I'd go for the Nite-eye in 3-12x50 as the 3-9x50 has no AO (front focussing eyebell). If you get a break-barrel check the length of the scope will fit the gun as the barrel and scope bottom may well want the same space when loading.

I also like the idea of powering the shot myself

Try pumpimg up one of these rifles with a pump! I was also a newbie. The AA S410 was my first "real" air rifle and i have never regreted getting it. I'd be interested to see how you get on with the halke scope as im thinging of getting the niteeye one.................Now heres a question, .177 or .22???

Try pumpimg up one of these rifles with a pump! I was also a newbie. The AA S410 was my first "real" air rifle and i have never regreted getting it. I'd be interested to see how you get on with the halke scope as im thinging of getting the niteeye one.................Now heres a question, .177 or .22???

.22 I think, I've heard a lot of good things about .177 but for me I just think .22. I'm pretty sure I'm going for the tasco varmint as it has a milldot :blink:

Saying that I've been offered one second hand it was mint but apparently now has a few scratches :lol: He wants £250 for webley longbow, simmons scope 3-9x50, silencer and one piece mounts, together that would cost about £320 (new) its pretty much what I want but I don't like the idea of a scratched gun, he says he's had it a month.

offer him 200 and haggle from there :blink: webleys dont seem to be holding thier value secondhand to well at the moment.Why is he getting rid after only a month?i know you sayyou dont want twe extra expence of precharged but it is very good, since i've had mine i wouldnt be without it :lol:

Just to keep you guys up to date, I've decided not to go 2nd hand (wasn't much of a saving anyway). Wait for this... I'm going for a walnut stock :lol:??? its a bit more but it knocks about a pound of the weight of the gun which has got to be good :blink:

I'm going to get the gun tuned from Venom as I have heard these guys are the badgers nadgers, its a bit more but at the end of the day I'm going to have a kickass springer (actually hope the springers not kicking coz then I'll be a bit ******), I'm going to get that Tasco scope and I'm going to order the gun hopefully over the next couple of weeks ???

Well decided not to go for a venom tuned, I've seen a decent 2nd hand rifle (cheers neil :blink: ) and hopefully will be picking her up in a week or two, just need to check my landowners don't mind me using it :lol: