starting up own buisness

foxnet22

hi lads was wondering if any members have started up there own buisness any could give any advise on how to go about starting up etc.the work i was involved in doesnt seem to be going anywhere for at least three years.i was thinking on doing my own thing stating off with fitting doors for now.how did you go about with tenders etc.

Agree with the accountant advice. They will advise you on the type of company to set up and wether to be vat registered.

Speak to your local business link advisers. They helped us to a level and gave us a bit of direction. They will want to see a business plan and talk around the plan.

Be prepared to put the hours in and take little money out in order to grow the business. We are just over two years in and starting to see the benefits.

Invest in an accounting software package to track your finances.

Register with your local forums. They will be a great place for leads for your type of work.

And give it a go, rather than thinking about what could have been. We have a local general trade man do work at home and he is pulled out with work - there is plenty of business out there.

Good luck with the venture

When I started my first business I was very concerned about appearing "professional", about looking like an established company, with all the headed paper, business cards etc etc. I quickly learned that that stuff doesn't matter anywhere near as much as you think it will.

Talk to your customers, be square with them, be honest about what you can and can't do. If they need a written tender they'll tell you what form they want. Face to face communication is important, delivering what you promise is essential.

In addition to most of the above.... There are lots of dodgy cusomers out there on this kind of work, especially in these hard economic times... you quote qet the job and they they don't want to pay or discount you by making up little problems to beat you down on price but only when the job is done. Everyone gets taken for some money in the trade.

A thought.....start small, a few jobs while you are still employed to test the waters. Once you give up a salary you are likely to struggle to earn decent money for a bit unless you are lucky. It it works out then consider full time :good:

When I started my first business I was very concerned about appearing "professional", about looking like an established company, with all the headed paper, business cards etc etc. I quickly learned that that stuff doesn't matter anywhere near as much as you think it will.

Talk to your customers, be square with them, be honest about what you can and can't do. If they need a written tender they'll tell you what form they want. Face to face communication is important, delivering what you promise is essential.

Couldn't agree more with all of that :good:

Plus dont forget about safety

All tools must be battery or 110Volt plus public liability insurance is a must if working in peoples homes.

And always leave the place clean when finished and I dont mean pick rubbish up hoover all round you will be surprised how this gets around by the lady of the house talking to others "they hate a messy worker"

What you have to remember is the othermans grass is always greener the sunshine brighter on the other side and in reality it doesnt work like that or we would all be rich it is very hard working for yourself you only need i akward customer and it can set you back months and put you under terrible pressure

Mark

My advice don't do it...

...at the moment. It's really tough out there at the moment. I have 20 years behind me and I'm keeping my head above water...but it's real tight. I'm seeing lots of less established companies going to the wall and struggling. If I were you I'd be keeping the day job at the moment and working around that until you get well established and the market picks up. There are a few people out there who are doing OK but there are hundreds more who aren't.