sea fishing from the beach at cleethorpes

wingnut

My friend steve and I decided last minute to go and do some sea fishing at Cleethorpes yesterday, i grabbed my telescopic feeder rod, some smallish weights and a few spare hooks, we collected some ragworms and peeler crabs from a tackle shop on the way.

We arrived about 3.30pm set up one rod each with a 2 hook flapper rig and cast in,After 5 mins we had both had pan size flatties on the beach, we cast in again, 2mins later his rod was almost ripped off the rest by a fish, he managed to grab it in time and reeled in a really nice schooly Bass, not to be out done i put a bunch of ragworms on cast about 40 yds out and sat holding the rod, without any warning the tip smacked right round and i ended up landing a bass appx 1 1/2lb, this carried on with flatties and small bass until we ran out of bait about 6.30pm.

Just goes to show,even though we had windsurfers,kite surfers,kayaks, and people paddling in the water either side of us it didn't put the fish off.

There are fish in that pond after all.

:good::good::good:

I usually fly fish or plug from Clegthorpe. Where's the best shop for fresh peeler or rag?

The shop where we used to get bait from has closed down now, I managed to find this place for bait,

Sparkes bros, 43a cromwell avenue,Grimsby DN31 2DR

Tel 01472 342613

mob 07971 773905

They have fresh ragworm,peeler crabs, and frozen black lug, live lug is dug to order, apparently you would need to place an order 2 days before for this bait, he is also open early in the mornings

Next time we go i am going to have a bash with the spinner and see if i can get some of the bigger Bass.

Edited by wingnut

I live in Cleggies. Schoolies and flatties are par for the course from the beach.

I used to take my boat out from the beach in a special little place which i'm not saying...(let someone know about another spot I had and it was swiftly battered out of existence)....pushing it in a few inches of water across to a sandbank and then chuck the anchor out and wait for the flood to come through.

Ultra light gear only and had bass up to 5lb.

Another tackle shop is in St Peters avenue which also sells live bait, walking distance to the beach.

For the lincs smoothhound I would recommend fishing when the sea is as calm as possible after a prolonged period of hot settled weather.

Crab is essential, bound on with elastic to a 3/0 varivas big mounth or similar to a 30lb snood either a single hook paternoster or a pulley rig (which will lift your lead off the bottom when a fish is hooked). Blast this as far as you can...

Do not leave you rods! hounds will easily pull your rod off the tripod and even into the sea.

Hope this helps!

Anthony

What tactics / bait do you use and do you need a rubbing trace?

I use 2/0 Tronix big dog hooks very strong and cheap 80lb trace 40lb snood 15lb mainline pulley rig and you only need half a peeler as they have suprisingly small mouths thats why you only need small hooks people use 4/0+ which you just dont need, cast as far as possible into gullys if you can i wade out and pendulum cast you can get much further that way and catch more fish aswell,long settled warm weather is best days seem to outfish nights in my experience the best spots have to be bohemia way sutton on sea near the beach hutts moggs eye and chapel point,for christ sake loosen your drag and put your ratchet on if not you will loose your rod and reel and i only use one rod after hooking into two at the same time on a few occasions they hunt in packs so only use one now, quickly cast out after catching one and you can catch another within minuetes hope this helps..............

Edited by tigger

For bait supplies, Georges tackle box and cleethorpes angling in brereton ave have closed down but Cleethorpes angling has opened/merged in St Peters avenue.

For anyone with a boat, mackerel are being taken around the forts and also skate, tope and assorted doggies.

For those who wish to be more adventurous, dover soles are in the river too but with the abundance of crab at the minute, baits dont last long.

I have taken some very big soles and also small turbot and brill this year in around 18 inches of water.......mind I was using my shrimp trawl.