Curtis's & Harvey Canister no2 Gunpowder

I`m a bit too rusty on grain sizes to risk loading anything with it upon the strength of my recollection. I used to buy C@H Hawkers Grain black powder for my punt guns but that was donkeys years ago.

To the best of my recollection canister no.2 was a medium sized grain suitable for guns around 12 bore. As I`m sure you appreciate there were numerous other grain sizes from rifle down to FFF pistol.

Can you tell how old the tin is? Some of the earlier ones with the fancy labels are quite collectible.

Hopefully a black powder muzzle loading enthusiast will be along shortly to put us all straight.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Mmmmm...knowledge is a wonderful thing! Wish I had some.

The tin doesn't look that old - probably 70's I would have thought. certainly not an antique.

I was going to make a few BP carts up with it but don't want it too be too fine really.

Further investigation methinks

Thanks for input from everyone

Graham

If I remember, the rectangular can was painted red with a white label. The top had a paper seal and underneath this was a black rubber stopper/pourer that you could pull out to pour and push down to seal again.

I used 82 grains (3 drams) to push 30 grams of shot.

Edit: Remember this would be 1964 - 1970s.

Edited by Floating Chamber

Guest cookoff013

most bp loads are for 32grams of shot, although going down to an ounce probly isnt going to make that much difference.

dont expect super speeds out of the loads, if i recolect 1200fps at best.

although ive got a kind of serious question,

will 82grains by weight, of ffg perform the same as fffg and ffffg? as they are the same by weight? they have the same mass, and composed of identical components, its just the grain size is different.

will they perform the same as in a normal 32g cartridge?

The weight difference between some of the smaller grain sizes for a given volume of powder may not be that great but it should be remembered that the voids between the powder grains in the larger sizes will have an increasingly noticeable effect on volume.

The differences in pressure and recoil between the same load, by weight, of black powder in different grain sizes can be dangerously significant.

Although black powder, by comparison to nitro powders, is relatively benign and you can take a few liberties with it, overdo it and it will bite your bum.