Muller chokes

southrop

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they any better than any other chokes? They are lighter and look quite flash, but can't see how they will give better than kills than cheaper, readily available Teagues/Briley etc. :hmm:

Can't see how they would perform better than Beretta chokes in a Beretta shotgun, but what do I know? :P

Obviously a 1/2 or 3/4 choke is going to be more 'forgiving' than a FULL choke at closer ranges but what the difference is between two,three,four brands of choke with same constriction I would think in theory would be minimal. I'd think choke length would have to come into it as a FULL choke of an inch and a half length is going to scrub more shot on the way through than a FULL extended choke , and as we know- the rounder shot is when it leaves barrel , the more truer it will fly straight :good:

atvb

sg1

Does anyone have any experience good or bad of

Muller chokes. What are the supposed benefits over factory chokes. Do they work and are they available in the UK?

I've been using them for a couple of months now and am very happy with the results :yes: There are a few others on here who have been using them recently including Azzurri, Ian E and Hamster so i'm sure that they'd all be more than happy to give you their thoughts on them too.

Having been speaking to Muller USA over the past month i know that they are in the process of setting up a UK distributor so i guess that its a case of watch this space! :good:

Muller Chokes, my experience so far;

Yes much lighter them most chokes, benefits to the shooter compared to a Biriley extended ported (for example) which are very heavy compared gun balance is going to be better, how important that is to you is another thing..

Certainly very durable and do appear to keep cleaner then my teagues, which would turn black inside the tube and dirt etc would build up on the outside which would be rather difficult to shift, I've had about 800 shots thru the Muller tubes before I gave them a clean and all they need was a rub over with an oiled rag on the outsides, the insides had a tiny bit of plastic\lead build up, again which didn't take anything to shift, the teagues often the 009 came out for a soaking session.

To me the chokes are slightly tighter then there equivalent, for example U1 which is a 25 yard choke skeet-1\4 according to Mullers own references is no-where near as open as a skeet choke and more on the slightly tighter side of a 1/4 - but the next person may disagree with that.

I've been regularly shooting U1 - U2 and U3 I treat as 1/2, and hand on heart of some of the breaks I've had I've been very impressed with you can clearly see the force of the breaks, would I of got similar results with a tighter teague choke maybe, Have I got kills I wouldn't normally expect to get, yes I have..

One thing I would say knowing in my head that there slightly tighter it's made me concentrate more as in my head there less room for error, which is only going to improve my shooting...

Have I patterned them no, I don't have access to a pattern plate.

Cost, compared to say a standard Beretta Optima Extended a very quick look around the net there around the same prices, compared to a krieghoff choke there a big saving to be had, likewise Biriley chokes.

Should you run out and buy a set thats up to you, will it improve your scores ? if you have confidence in them yes as 90% of shooting is in your head imo.

Will I carry on using them yes will I buy some more probably yes, will Nicky give me a discount probably no :lol:

If your looking for after market chokes they are well worth considering. :good:

Hit the nail on the head- if Your happy with your chokes/shells/glasses/socks then you will shoot closer to your potential. Will a new choke make you shoot any better? No, but if a new toy makes you feel a bit more confident then go for it, the last bit of performance comes from between the ears not what's screws into the pointy end.

:P

I'll take my .22 air rifle to the next registered and test that theory :lol:

With your recent scores I thought that's what you had been doing already. :P

I borrowed a set off Nicky T for a play, they gave good kills but they where no better than my Berretta ones.

Using a Teague tapered choke key as a rough measure the U2 and U3 looked the same dimensions as 3/8 and 3/4 rather than the ¼ ½ so I guess you have to compare like for like.

I actually like the look of them which would be my only reason for buying them over my current chokes.

:good:

I don't get the balance bit. :blink:

My Beretta is balanced to be with Beretta chokes. If I stick a load of lightweight stuff in there, it'll make it lighter in the barrel, why would I want that?. I heard a bloke whingeing about them at Worsley, he was saying they were so light, they "upset the balance of his gun". I've heard they're just a bit tighter than the equivalent Beretta size, so I would imagine any perceived improvement in pattern is just like using a tighter Beretta choke, which I can do for free :P

All in the head. I'll carry my lucky pack of Werthers Originals with me, that'll have the same effect :lol:

Tie a balloon filled with helium to the end of the barrel, to lighten the load. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How many people balance their gun on the hinge pin, to see if it is barrel heavy or light? Why would you do that? If the gun feels okay - I suspect very few get out a handy fulcrum.

Chard summed it up succinctly. :good: :good:

Edited by Gordon R

Exactly. The old hinge pin point of balance is a load of rubbish. It depends on your style of shooting and personal preference. The chokes I have in my gun are chosen because they are particularly heavy, it's all what your comfy with. That said if your happier shooting with a couple of new chokes then tuck in and enjoy!

I spent a pleasant afternoon yesterday comparing my new Mullers to invector plus extended chokes in my cynergy. Up front I will say I love the Mullers. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I like the looks. They are ridiculously light and so I suppose this may be an issue but I had no problem using them and brownings extended chokes are very heavy. Most importantly they gave really good kills especially at distance targets. Once again I know if you put the shot in the right place every time this is not an issue but my feeling is they do throw a lot of shot in a tight pattern, dusting even distance targets. Which is a nice feeling.

I would definitely give them a thumbs up :good:

I tried some yesterday too. Didn't notice any difference between them and my Beretta Optima extended thingeys. No surprises there then :P

In fact there was one target, where I thought the breaks I was getting with Muller chokes were less convincing than those that I got the other day with Beretta chokes (same target, different day). However, the other day I was using different cartridges, so it could have been that :hmm:

They look a bit tasty but I think I grew out of that BS around the same time that I thought baked bean can exhausts on cars looked tasty :lol:

'Ave a banana, each to his own. I'll stick with my jolly old Beretta chokes and look un-tasty :sly:

I don't get the balance bit. :blink:

My Beretta is balanced to be with Beretta chokes. If I stick a load of lightweight stuff in there, it'll make it lighter in the barrel, why would I want that?. I heard a bloke whingeing about them at Worsley, he was saying they were so light, they "upset the balance of his gun". I've heard they're just a bit tighter than the equivalent Beretta size, so I would imagine any perceived improvement in pattern is just like using a tighter Beretta choke, which I can do for free :P

All in the head. I'll carry my lucky pack of Werthers Originals with me, that'll have the same effect :lol:

Wasn't there a thread a year or so ago about some prawn with a Kemen/Kreighoff/Blazer complaining that extended chokes would adverseley affect the balance of his gun? It was quite comical as I recall !