Muller chokes

southrop

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there a thread a year or so ago about some prawn with a Kemen/Kreighoff/Blazer complaining that extended chokes would adverseley affect the balance of his gun? It was quite comical as I recall !

yep it was this one linky

:hmm::lol:

He wrote about this very thread and PW a few weeks back on another forum lol.

found this site to consist of members who suffer from class envy. They like to play up the superiority of their cheap guns to the more expensive guns. The good ole "I can use my $500 shotgun to beat the snot out of the guy with the $10,000 gun.." is a common topic on there.

But then again, they seem to be just a bunch of backyard clay wannabe shooters and hunters, no real competitors.

:lol: :o

OK first things first, yes it is all to do with putting the pattern in the right place to begin with but you also have to allow for the fact that if you know what you`re doing there is a place for a bit of choke changing here and there.

I have 500 shells worth of Muller experience so far and it seems to me that some people are missing the point with these a little. The claims made for these are nothing like as dubious as what we are used to, you know bull like stripping the wad, reducing recoil (Teagues), reducing flip (various ported), superior :rolleyes: patterns (Beretta Optima Ext) blah blah.

These are advertised as being:

1) Light - prepare to be gobsmacked, nothing I`ve ever picked up is lighter. I would argue being Aluminum alloy they are potentially lighter than fixed choke guns; not saying better, just lighter, that may suit some people in itself.

2) Easy to clean - prepare to be very impressed, it has never bothered me in the slightest whether the shells or chokes I use get dirty but these stay clean.

3) Extensive testing by the man himself prior to launch is supposed to have been done with the sole purpose of arriving at dimensions that best suit each makes` internal barrel measurements, as in backbored, overbored etc. The intention has been to get these to throw true to increment but without the hot centre cores that too often make the tighter chokes in particular a bit lacking in helpful margin of error.

This is the one area where only pattern work coupled to real shooting can give feedback.

Having said that if you believe it is possible to have bad chokes i.e, ones that throw inconsistent patterns or worse still off centre (not at all implausible), then by definition you have to accept that it must also be possible to have particularly good chokes!

In my experience there are other real benefits to these. There are U1 through to U4 increments; SK-1/4, LM, tight half and tight 3/4 - Full roughly speaking. For me having just 4 chokes is a lot better than as many as seven or more for a start!

Next benefit is that if given a gentle tug with the appropriate key, then they stay put, unlike my Optima extended or even my favoured flush Briley`s.

Another plus is the VERY easy idenitification system, even I know what 1/2/3/4 means.

I`m currently waiting to receive a U4 which I intend to use with a U3 for most of my shooting. The U2/U3 combo which I`ve so far used have given me nothing but good breaks with a run of 82 hits before missing at one shoot, probably no different to what I expected to be fair, but I have found the U2 to be so forgiving that even close rabbits or grouse birds have been shot with no fear of misses.

In fact it seems to cope with all angles and ranges up to 25 yards or so, it`s usefulness only waning once you begin to shoot going away clays at distance. Here the U3 has been impressive so I`m really looking forward to seeing what the U4 can do. :)

Edited by Hamster

OK first things first, yes it is all to do with putting the pattern in the right place to begin with but you also have to allow for the fact that if you know what you`re doing there is a place for a bit of choke changing here and there.

I have 500 shells worth of Muller experience so far and it seems to me that some people are missing the point with these a little. The claims made for these are nothing like as dubious as what we are used to, you know bull like stripping the wad, reducing recoil (Teagues), reducing flip (various ported), superior :rolleyes: patterns (Beretta Optima Ext) blah blah.

These are advertised as being:

1) Light - prepare to be gobsmacked, nothing I`ve ever picked up is lighter. I would argue being Aluminum alloy they are potentially lighter than fixed choke guns; not saying better, just lighter, that may suit some people in itself.

2) Easy to clean - prepare to be very impressed, it has never bothered me in the slightest whether the shells or chokes I use get dirty but these stay clean.

3) Extensive testing by the man himself prior to launch is supposed to have been done with the sole purpose of arriving at dimensions that best suit each makes` internal barrel measurements, as in backbored, overbored etc. The intention has been to get these to throw true to increment but without the hot centre cores that too often make the tighter chokes in particular a bit lacking in helpful margin of error.

This is the one area where only pattern work coupled to real shooting can give feedback.

Having said that if you believe it is possible to have bad chokes i.e, ones that throw inconsistent patterns or worse still off centre (not at all implausible), then by definition you have to accept that it must also be possible to have particularly good chokes!

In my experience there are other real benefits to these. There are U1 through to U4 increments; SK-1/4, LM, tight half and tight 3/4 - Full roughly speaking. For me having just 4 chokes is a lot better than as many as seven or more for a start!

Next benefit is that if given a gentle tug with the appropriate key, then they stay put, unlike my Optima extended or even my favoured flush Briley`s.

Another plus is the VERY easy idenitification system, even I know what 1/2/3/4 means.

I`m currently waiting to receive a U4 which I intend to use with a U3 for most of my shooting. The U2/U3 combo which I`ve so far used have given me nothing but good breaks with a run of 82 hits at one shoot, probably no different to what I expected to be fair, but I have found the U2 to be so forgiving that even close rabbits or grouse birds have been shot with no fear of misses.

In fact it seems to cope with all angles and ranges up to 25 yards or so, it`s usefulness only waning once you begin to shoot going away clays at distance. Here the U3 has been impressive so I`m really looking forward to seeing what the U4 can do. :)

I bet that U4 is about the same as the black ringed Optima choke, using a decent cartridge :good:

Don't think I'm missing any point :hmm:

Red for skeet

Orange in bottom barrel for ESP

Green in top barrel for ESP

I can remember that. :rolleyes:

Light? My Beretta Optima chokes don't exactly weigh a ton. Think I can cope with the weight :P

Cleaning them doesn't kill me either

Pattern? dunno. Negligible difference maybe, but I wouldn't know which is best. Everybody tells me it's the Mullers. Righto :blink:

Pay £200 plus to ditch my Optimas for a fistful of these? I think not.

Like I say, each to his own. :huh:

I don't think anyone is trying to convince anyone else to change what they find best for them. The OP simply asked for information on the Muller chokes. Not what everybody else does or finds useful, just what those with experience of Muller chokes found. The consensus from those who have used them seems to be they are light, easy to clean, easy to use, and produce strong kills (when put in the right place) they currently cost £50 a pop if you know where to look.

Andy

Hamster, what's your verdict on the u3 compared to the green optima choke of berettas?

On crossing or angled stuff with movement there is no difference, but on clays with less movement relative to the gun like the second bird from a going away pair you get the odd unbelievable puff with the U3 :D .

Don't think I'm missing any point :hmm:

Red for skeet

Orange in bottom barrel for ESP

Green in top barrel for ESP

I can remember that. :rolleyes:

Light? My Beretta Optima chokes don't exactly weigh a ton. Think I can cope with the weight :P

Cleaning them doesn't kill me either

Pattern? dunno. Negligible difference maybe, but I wouldn't know which is best. Everybody tells me it's the Mullers. Righto :blink:

Pay £200 plus to ditch my Optimas for a fistful of these? I think not.

Like I say, each to his own. :huh:

I actually agree with you Chard. I am very sensitive to all sorts of things in guns/cartridges but admit choke weight doesn`t cause me grief either way.

My point regarding the Opti`s working loose is valid though, so although I`m not suggesting we all rush out and get Mullers expecting greater scores, they do make good sense if you`re on the lookout for aftermarkets.

What does that mean?

It means.....

Original poster asked "Does anyone have any experience good or bad of Muller chokes?" That's the info that's being given.

I assume your little dig "(when put in the right place)" referred to me not getting good breaks with Muller chokes. (Though I smoked the same targets a few days earlier with Beretta chokes). Don't actually recall you being there on either occasion. I can assure you there was no difference in where I was "putting it". There were two variables : Beretta chokes v Muller chokes and Gamebore Blue Diamond v Eley Superbs. Neither of those cartridges are exactly ****, so what am I to think?

Yes, yes yes, we all know where to get Muller chokes from, and £50 x 4 = £200. You didn't think that I thought they were £200 EACH did you? :rolleyes:

The only thing I will concede is that if an AA/AAA Class shooter is pleased with them, I'm listening, because some marginal improvement in pattern COULD win him an all-important extra clay out of 200/300 birds. Fair enough.

Despite my current B Class languishing :o I can actually shoot a bit when I want to, but I know for sure that they would make **** all difference to my shooting, because I ain't goood enough. And that's not negotiable.

I know Hamster can shoot, I know Azzurri can shoot. I know they're both happy with them. I also know lower class shots who think they're going to change their lives are dreaming :sly:

What lower class or inexperienced shots need to be aware of, is that at least part of the reason why these things give more smokey breaks is simply that they are slightly tighter than the chokes that are claimed as being "equivalent". I think it is suggested that a Muller 3 choke is "equivalent" to a green Beretta Optima 1/2 choke. It's actually a bit tighter, hence you can get a few more smokey breaks. As an inexperienced shot, you can also miss more clays, purely because you can't always unerringly "put it in the right place". Top shots can, and they probably shoot with tight chokes anyway.

A lot of these plus points are just being lifted off the testimonial page of the US Muller site, by the way. Not impressed with that, let's have a few original observations, per-lease :oops:

Edited by Chard

I use a Teague tapered choke key for tightening/loosening Optima chokes and they do not shoot loose.

The small spanner that is supplied with the gun, is one of the worst piece of kit that I have ever used on a shotgun choke tube.

Ditto useless key :no: . The Opti chokes working loose is a common worldwide complaint, the Americans recommend choke grease to help. On the rare occasions I use these I simply tighten them a sensible amount and live with slight undoing.

I agree with Mike. I have a Beretta 682E Gold with Optima chokes. Nip them up with a tapered Teague choke - never had a sniff of loose chokes. I use the same keys in Blaser and Miroku - same results.

I love the claims made for various chokes. Unless you pattern a particular choke with a variety of shells and then stick with that combination, it is a lottery.

I have Teague chokes, Rhino chokes, Blaser chokes and tomorrow will be taking possession of a set of Comp n chokes (extended and ported).

I am only buying these to make up a full set of ported extended chokes - so I will be disposing of a set of Optimas soon.

There is probably little or no difference between the whole lot - lack of something better to spend my money on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It means.....

Original poster asked "Does anyone have any experience good or bad of Muller chokes?" That's the info that's being given.

I assume your little dig "(when put in the right place)" referred to me not getting good breaks with Muller chokes. (Though I smoked the same targets a few days earlier with Beretta chokes). Don't actually recall you being there on either occasion. I can assure you there was no difference in where I was "putting it". There were two variables : Beretta chokes v Muller chokes and Gamebore Blue Diamond v Eley Superbs. Neither of those cartridges are exactly ****, so what am I to think?

Yes, yes yes, we all know where to get Muller chokes from, and £50 x 4 = £200. You didn't think that I thought they were £200 EACH did you? :rolleyes:

The only thing I will concede is that if an AA/AAA Class shooter is pleased with them, I'm listening, because some marginal improvement in pattern COULD win him an all-important extra clay out of 200/300 birds. Fair enough.

Despite my current B Class languishing :o I can actually shoot a bit when I want to, but I know for sure that they would make **** all difference to my shooting, because I ain't goood enough. And that's not negotiable.

I know Hamster can shoot, I know Azzurri can shoot. I know they're both happy with them. I also know lower class shots who think they're going to change their lives are dreaming :sly:

All of the assumptions you made about my post are incorrect and I apologise if that was the impression given. I was not making a dig at anyone my comment about "putting it in the right place" was in relation to previous posts stating that the chokes you use are less important than being accurate with your shot (with which I completely agree). Of course i didn't think you assumed they were £200 each, I was merely stating a fact - I'm not sure all those reading the forum do know where to get them (although I know you do)

What I was trying - and obviously failing :blush: to do was stop the thread being about what everyone prefers choke wise, and stick to the question the OP asked about peoples opinion of Muller chokes.

Please accept my apologies for any unintended slur. I have read that 80% of all communication is non verbal and this kind of miscommunication just proves that. I can't even find a suitable emoticon??

Andy