A glorious day

The Sniper

I took FarmaGeddons advice and went for a ride round today, looking for those elusive pigeons.

After doing 40 miles I ended up round my neck of the woods, as I had seen nothing.

I drove by a late field of spring rape and there they were , about 100 pigeons. By this time it was about 1.30pm. Then I had to find the owner, which took no time, and he said Yes, and offered me some foxing as well.

So off I tootles to the field in question and they are still there.

I decided to take the rotary machine with me , just in case.

I got set up about 3.00pm and the birds started flying in like good 'uns. Nothing fast and furious, just nice and steady. It was a lovely afternoon, sunny with a bit of wind, from my back and quartering from left to right...ideal.

I got the impression they needed something more to draw them in, so I tried the rotary. I am still experimenting where to put it in the decoy pattern and this afternoon I tried it at the head , in the killing zone and at the side. the killing zone seemed to work best.

The birds kept flying in, steadily, and I was enjoying it immensely. My cartridge ratio was up ( at one stage I had 17 birds for 20 shots) then I got a bit more adventurous and it went down.

I ended up with 31 birds for 41 shots and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I hope you all had as good a day as me. :blink:

Tis a very nice day but to be quite honest after harrowing the fields and then trapsing around looking for some rabbits to shoot in the baking heat of the day, i can't go on(partly because i can't find any rabbs but also to hot)i think the foxes has got alot of the babbits as there used to be loads in a certain place and now theres nowt, charlies also nicked of with some o farmers chickens.

Perhaps i vill try in zee evening.

I is glad you had some sport Sniper,and a tidy kill ratio too.Rather better than mine today

I took an American friend out today.Both of us on the same field but different places.We shot 17 before he had to go home and take the wife out.We packed up at two.I shot all 17 with 24 shots.He had 37 or so shots.

I came back for the pm and got another 26 but had 51 shots.I was a little miffed 'cause they were easy shots,most of them.

Me choke was too tight.I need some excuse.........

Farma,

Maybe the sun was in your eyes, the wind was in the wrong direction, you couldn't get your favourite cartridge, the hide was in the wrong place, the birds just wouldn't behave,too many flies about and I didn't feel comfortable etc etc etc.

( I know mate ! :blink: )

Ah yes.....the excuses.

I had another glorious day yesterday. I had been looking round and found a recently drilled pea field but, ******, somebody was on it. so i had another ride round and could find nothing. So I was going to take a slow ride home but thought i would just look how the other pigeonner was doing.

When I got to the field he had gone and there was about 2-300 pigeons on it !!!.

So I hurriedly got everything out , this time it was 5.00pm, and set up where I thought they seemed to be flying.

They started coming in straight away and I had a good three hours sport culminating in 34 shot for 57 cartridges.

I went back to the same field today and there was ****** all about.

As Meatloaf says " Two out of three isn't bad "

P.S. How long before the peas come through chaps ?