the best way for my boy to start clay shooting?

mushty111

hi guys.

my boy is keen to have a go at clay shooting.

i haven't mentioned anything to him so he doesn't get his hopes up.

but what would be the best way to get him started

i know all the gun safety bit so does he as he shoots air rifles

i belong to a small club that doesn't really deal with beginning from scratch.so i haven't broached the subject with them yet

my lad is 11

any ideas anyone?

Book a lesson with a local pro at your nearest ground, he will make sure the gun/cartridge combination is right and you might pick up some pointers too! Took my twins (13) for their first lesson last week they loved it. It was safe, easy enough for them not to be put off but challenging enough for them to have a real sense of achievment.

Ft

Mushty,

Pay a visit to Southdown, near Worthing, see link below.

Your lad will be able to have a go there.

If he really gets the bug, and joins the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association, he can shoot at registered competitions free of charge at the ground, if accompanied by a paying adult.

http://www.southdownsgc.co.uk/

Cat.

Kids love guns and loud noises, so whatever happens you are in for parent of the year.

I got into shooting from my grandfather and I remember him dearly for it.

Go to a ground, get him a gun that won't take his shoulder off - 410 / 20g. Make sure he hits a few in the first session... and boomshanka, you will have a shooter for life.... just like how the rest of us got into it.

Kids love guns and loud noises, so whatever happens you are in for parent of the year.

I got into shooting from my grandfather and I remember him dearly for it.

Go to a ground, get him a gun that won't take his shoulder off - 410 / 20g. Make sure he hits a few in the first session... and boomshanka, you will have a shooter for life.... just like how the rest of us got into it.

Mine is the other way round :P

He has problems with his ears since he was born and ANY loud noise causes great discomfort from jet engines motorcycles police sirens car alarms :P

When we first took him to the clay grounds all he wanted to do was press the button to launch the clays and even THEN he would press the botton and straight away cover his ears (even with plugs in) :lol:

Maybe eventually he will get used to it but i hope he os ok on Saturday too.

Still likes shooting but could live with LESS bang :P

LG

Mushty,

Get in touch with BASC they run a young shots group which shoot at various grounds around the country. That way he will be on the right start safety wise and also get some good tuition.

Cheers

Martin

hi i take a freinds son with me hes 12 i got a second hand 12gauge baikal single barrel paid 30 pound forit and use lyvale express high velocity 24 gram 7.5 and hes fine with that they teach at my local shoot and they allways get the kids to learn with them cartridges try them...

I learnt to shoot clays with an old s/s hammer gun, it was 3/4 and full choke with 30" barrels. My granda only allowed me to load one cartridge in for each clay :blush: . I recently went to a local DTL shoot with my aya No.4 (its a s/s for anyone that doesnt know) and held my own fine(actually i cleaned up lol :) ) against the rest of the guys with their multichoke o/u clay guns at my first shoot. My point being the harder a gun to shoot you learn with, the better a shot your are when you get a good piece of equipment. The same was true for my friend who learnt to shoot with his grandas s/s(he could only use one barrel because the other was so badly pitted) I shud also point out though that i was slightly older and nothing could of put me off shooting! Ozo ;)

EDIT: due to spelling

Edited by Ozo

right guys

cheers for all that, i'll try a lighter load in a 12g while im looking for a 20g for him to try, my only concern is whether he can hold a 12g up for long enough.

trial and error.

i borrowed a 20 for him the other w/end and he hit 5 outa 30 so it made him happy, and i hasten to add that there was a double in there too

dont know who was more chuffed me or him :)

You are right to be concerned about the weight mushty.

My son has a 20 bore o/u and even holding that up for a round of 50 starts to tire him, in fact he doesn't want to go again until he feels he is strong enough to shoot a complete round.

You easily forget as an adult, just how long a novice holds the gun up as you are instructing them and it can fatigue a young shot. He has a pull up bar in the doorway to his bedroom so he is doing as many chin ups as he can each day :angry:

• 2 weeks later...