Clearing up after pigeon shooting.

Evening chaps,

I went for a walk on the farm today in my lunch break. There had been a chap decoying ealier in the day so I went down to the same spot to see if it was any good. When I got there I noticed lots of red and green strips, and on closer inspection they were shredded shotgun shells. Deeper into the hedge were more bits of shells, whole empties, of at least 6 differnent types and in varying states of decay, and cigarette butts. About 15 yards down the same hedge was a pile of shot crows and pigeons. I even found cases that had the crimps cut off and emptied, but still had a live primer in them.

Now I can understand leaving the crows for nature, and eeven the pigeons if they had no other use and were shot only for pest control, but they dumping of cartridges I cant comprehend. Is it just me that thinks this is wrong? What do you all do with your dea birds, and what happens to your empties?

Edited by cant hit rabbits 123

Evening chaps,

I went for a walk on the farm today in my lunch break. There had been a chap decoying ealier in the day so I went down to the same spot to see if it was any good. When I got there I noticed lots of red and green strips, and on closer inspection they were shredded shotgun shells. Deeper into the hedge were more bits of shells, whole empties, of at least 6 differnent types and in varying states of decay, and cigarette butts. About 15 yards down the same hedge was a pile of shot crows and pigeons. I even found cases that had the crimps cut off and emptied, but still had a live primer in them.

Now I can understand leaving the crows for nature, and eeven the pigewons if they had no other use and were shot only for pest control, but they dumping of cartridges I cant comprehend. Is it just me that thinks this is wrong? What do you all do with your dea birds, and what happens to your empties?

carts taken home and disposed off, pigeons off to the game dealer & corvids put in incinerator.

I think thats disrespectful, even though i have a semi auto and you know how far they can fling the empties i always try and keep a spare pocket for the empties i can find. I dont think the land owner would be too pleased, i certainly would'nt! Always clean up after myself, with regards to the dead birds, pigeons i would try to eat if not bag and dustbin same with the crows etc. (although not eat them)

Paul

Leave no sign ;)

My only reason for pigeon shooting is for the pot, any opportunist corvids get tucked away into a hedge and all empty carts go in the bin back home.

I shoot on a couple of paddocks and even take the brass from the LR home so it doesn't get ingested by horses.

i allways make a point of visiting my last shooting position when i go back to any particular farm no matter how long ago i shot there,,you may be supprised how many emptys you find once the vegetation has died down , pigeons go home and corvids allways on top of the hedge for buzzards and under for charlie,,,,,,,,,,,,,now i know where to look for him ,,,,i set his table.

Leave no sign ;)

Exactly. I'm a farmer and it p's me off to see empty cartridges around. (or any other litter for that matter)

Must admit to being guilty of leaving rf cases where they fall, and pigeons and crows, though only walk around rather than decoy.

I always try to pick up all of my empty cartridge cases and take them home to put in the rubbish bin. To leave spent cartridges lying around where they fall shows a total disrespect for the land where you are shooing and for the countryside in general!

As for leaving whatever I shoot lying around where it falls that too is a "NO NO" for me. Rabbits get picked up for the pot or for bait for the fox traps I use, pigeons get picked up and breasted with the remains put on the dung heap and covered over to speed the rotting down process and crows, magpies etc get piched up and thrown under hedges or in ditches if there are more than I care to carry to the dung heap! As for foxes, they get their brush boned and the carcasses get burried in the dung heaps also!

I had one farm where I was having "a bit of a field day" on the crows recently just after the bales had been taken in and the farmer actually asked me to make sure that I didn't just leave them where they fell as any that were not taken by foxes etc would rot down but might still leave a pile of feathers that might get picked up when they did their second cut later this year - I'm not sure if this would happen but I respect the farmers wish and the land that I shoot on!

Always pick up my empties they go home and in the wheelie bim Pigeons and Rabbits go to the Gamedealer, Rooks in the hedge for "recycling" and foxes normally end up in the River for the Eels and Crabs (its a tidal River)

I used to leave the Foxes on the dungheap but the farmers dogs use to dig them out and eat them!!!

everything i carry to the field i carry away with me, bin the cartridges

eat or give away the pigeons, rooks shot in field get put in the wood opening near the highseat for mr fox

the 1 thing that gets me is people sending dogs across a field of swathed rape to pick up a pigeon :no:

the amount of times i have seen it happen is unreal, the dog 'jumping over' the swaths at a fair rate of knots iwill be doing just as much if not more damage than pigeons, its irresponsible!

Edited by TJ91

i allways make a point of visiting my last shooting position when i go back to any particular farm no matter how long ago i shot there,,you may be supprised how many emptys you find once the vegetation has died down , pigeons go home and corvids allways on top of the hedge for buzzards and under for charlie,,,,,,,,,,,,,now i know where to look for him ,,,,i set his table.

I would be careful leaving crows etc on top of hedges for buzzards as I am sure anyone who keeps birds of prey will tell you lead is very,very toxic to them ,you perhaps not doing them the favour you think you are , the local gamekeepers will be happy mind.

For me anyone who leaves empties laying around deserves to lose the permission ,I shoot a auto and spend ages searching out every empty at the end of a session though I try to pick them up through the day as I go in and out of the hide ,I always have a couple of carrier bags for used cases and any other rubbish.

As for shot birds they mostly go to the game dealer sometimes have some myself or give to people at work if I have not got enough for a trip to the dealer dont shoot many corvids but when I do they are burried.

I found about 20 dead pigeons just left in a pile in a field this last winter,I know its suppose to be pest control but I would never do that ,i think they deserve more respect for the sport they give.

Edited by fenboy