S410 or HW100

BerettaSV10

I think that you've hit the nail on the head here. Both guns are VERY good and very accurate, and if you only want to shoot targets from a rest/bipod/prone then there's nothing between them. The HW seems to use a bit more air, the S410 has a smaller mag, that's about it.

If you want to shoot HFT or live quarry then in my opinion the weight is the deciding factor. I've shot with both and own an Air Arms. To be honest I struggle with the weight of the HW pretty quickly when standing, kneeling or seated (less so seated) and if you are trudging across a field or three, you'll soon notice the difference (2.7kg as opposed to the 3.8kg HW), it may not seem much but by the time you add bipod, scope, lamp etc, it soon becomes noticeable. I too shoot .177 and find it more than adequate to cleanly kill.

I had a look around at air rifle clubs in my area, so far the one I have found meets on a day that at the moment I can't get to. Will be looking more to see what else is around.

A PW member has PM'd me last night which I need to reply to. I held off replying until I could get a few things sorted in my head, but will be replying shortly to them.

Hi mongrel thanks for joining post I'm a bit out of my depth here with the hunting part like the basics will he need camo/netting/light and all the other stuff to begin with all I know are the kill zones and ranges also one of the post as said 177 400s I throughout that was single shot and I think hunters like a mag for a follow up shot Gould you state some sort of things he would need don't hold back I know it can be expense for a hunter and also know absolutely nothing about permissions any help from you or indeed any hunter member would be well receive from both of us thanks

Hi mongrel thanks for joining post I'm a bit out of my depth here with the hunting part like the basics will he need camo/netting/light...

Personally, I use a camo jacket, trousers, hat with veil and gloves. I rarely use netting to be honest, I find that if you keep still and quiet, the rabbits will come. A decent gun light is a must if you hunt alone and intend to shoot all year round, as the nights draw in the lamp gets more and more use, I use a Deben Atom, good enough for my eyesight. :good:

...and all the other stuff to begin with all I know are the kill zones and ranges also one of the post as said 177 400s I throughout that was single shot and I think hunters like a mag for a follow up shot...

Generally for hunting you'd want a multi shot, however for HFT you can only load singly, as I do both I decided that I'd get the single shot S400, as you can get a magazine for it from Rowan Engineering, works for me.

Gould you state some sort of things he would need don't hold back I know it can be expense for a hunter and also know absolutely nothing about permissions any help from you or indeed any hunter member would be well receive from both of us thanks

What else do you need? As a minimum I go out with a good knife, a pair of binoculars, plenty of pellets (AirArms fields for me)a hank of string exactly 20 metres long, comes in very useful in all sorts of ways from determining ranges through to trussing rabbits together, and a means of refilling the gun, in the field it will be the stirrup pump, having said that, I'd only take it if expecting a LOT of action. The 400 will do at least 60 shots before needing topping and if you rarely miss... :D , maybe if I used a 3lt bottle I may consider lugging that, but I'm not carrying a 12lt cylinder across a field! :lol:

Edited by -Mongrel-

thank you mongrel a most informative post i have learned a few things about hunting and i am sure Biretta will see what he will need to begin with with your permission i will draw is attension to your well written post thankyou Frank

Totally agree with Fat toad, -Mongrel- your post is most inforative and very much appreciated, and should help many others as well as myself, a big thank you for posting it.

Edited by BerettaSV10

I reckon the best entry level set up is an S400 with a Rowan Mag conversion in .177 and a pump rather than a bottle, along with a pair of sticks for stalking bunnies.

That'll be my set up you've just described, although, as my permissions are smaller I tend to plot up and snipe. I find the 13-27" Harris bipod is maybe a little tall for prone use...but manageable, it's spot on for kneeling/sitting shots though so for me makes a good compromise. I would definitely use sticks though if I was on larger plots with more stalking opportunities.

Just out of interest, what hunting scope are you using? I seem to have settled on a 3-9x50 at the moment.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Hi beretta well that,s a lot of answers for you to ponder don,t for get to post more questions no questions are stupid if you don,t know the answer some one on here will know. They have all helped me from cheap air fills to zeroing my scope even had me on a joke about a pigeon magnet i know you have shot guns so you would know what one is how guys can fire with that going round i would fall over laughing this is what i love about this forum they can be in the most heated posts but on reading the next post they change and have a joke with you Well time for bed what part of country are you??? as guys who live in your part will know what,s happening in your area well goodnight friend Frank

As far as I know it's just the carbine, classic and Take Down Rifle (TDR).

EDIT: Hmmm, just looked on the AA website and they list the TDR as a separate model. It WAS a stripped back version of the 400/410 and probably still is, might be worth checking though.

Air Arms website-click me

Edit, edit: Right, further reading shows the TDR to be a stripped S400, NOT available as a 410 (multishot).

Edited by -Mongrel-

Yep, carbine is shorter, and as such is in theory better in confined spaces ( a hide maybe) or woods.

I use a Classic but just because it was what came up. Allegedly they are equally accurate although common sense suggest the longer barrel should aid accuracy.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Just been looking through the sales section and there are a couple of scopes in there, are these suitable for a beginer, though I notice the hawke has a 50mm optic.

nikko game king 4-16 x 44 illuminated

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/178244-nikko-game-king-4-16-x-44-illuminated/

hawke 2.5-10x50 L4 ir dot scope comes with 30mm mounts

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/178053-for-sale-hawke-eclipse-25-10x50-l4-dot-ir/

Just been looking through the sales section and there are a couple of scopes in there, are these suitable for a beginer, though I notice the hawke has a 50mm optic.

nikko game king 4-16 x 44 illuminated

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/178244-nikko-game-king-4-16-x-44-illuminated/

hawke 2.5-10x50 L4 ir dot scope comes with 30mm mounts

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/178053-for-sale-hawke-eclipse-25-10x50-l4-dot-ir/

IMO illuminated reticles are a pointless gimmick. If you can't see a normal reticle then it's probably too dark to see a rabbit against a dark background anyway. I don't like silly big lenses either. A basic 3-9x40 or similar will do everything you need and if you are shooting a .177 out to 40yards you wont need to allow much for pelley drop anyway so don't have to have fancy reticules.

Save your cash and get a cheap rangefinder with what you save :good:

If you want a real bargain buy one of these http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/riflescopes-jsr-optics/jsr3940-jsr--leapers-3-9x40-mil-dot-riflescope-with-flip-up-covers.html

Edited by sitsinhedges

IMO illuminated reticles are a pointless gimmick. If you can't see a normal reticle then it's probably too dark to see a rabbit against a dark background anyway. I don't like silly big lenses either. A basic 3-9x40 or similar will do everything you need and if you are shooting a .177 out to 40yards you wont need to allow much for pelley drop anyway so don't have to have fancy reticules.

Save your cash and get a cheap rangefinder with what you save :good:

Thanks, :)

Edited by BerettaSV10

• 2 weeks later...