What gun to buy for novice clay shooter

hi, welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

it really depends on what you are planning to shoot - trap, skeet, sporting?

if you want a dabble in all of them then a multi-choked sporter will be the best bet, that way you can change it to suit what you are shooting. which one to buy depends on your budget, otherwise there'd be a list as long as your arm. the one most important thing though is to find one that fits you properly. go to a good gunshop and have a look round, most decent ones will be able to check the fit as well.

hpoe it helps ???

paul

As Paulos has said, it depends whether you want the odd outing to a "straw bale" club shoot, or whether you want to take up clay shooting seriously.

Baikal's are great guns, very sturdy and will last forever, when you've tired of it it will also serve as a fencepost, but it's not a gun that is used for serious clay shooting.

My advice would be to continue using the borrowed GTI until you have enough saved to by a secondhand Beretta, Browning or Miroku.

Cat.

hi novice

i started again after a 10-15yr absence from the sport.and i bought a browning medallist, a cracking entry gun with multi chokes, 28 or 30 inch barrels and a user friendly gun.

you could pick a second hand one up for £400

plus when you want to change to something better later on the browning has a good re-sale value.

you cant lose.

cheers

steve. :rolleyes:

I got my second hand 686 for £450 as a first gun from my local dealer on a friend's recommendation. I was tossing up between the Beretta and something else that was twice the money but was a much newer gun. I asked the dealer which he would buy and he said it would be the Beretta (the cheaper gun) as it was better and wouldn't break.

Don't worry about what make it is, buy the one that feels right. If you have done a bit of shooting then you will notice the difference between guns.

The Browning GTi is a superb gun and if you are shooting OK with it then try and find something similar. A second hand berretta is a good choice, so would a Browning, Miroku or Winchester.

If you find a Baikal that you like, buy it you won't lose money on it. They last forever. I had one as my first gun and regret selling it.

Cheers

Martin