Cracking night on the foxes

Beardo

Went out for a shoot with Stealth Stalker last night and what a night we had...

He started the night driving and lamping, whilst i sat up on the roof of the Frontera with my RWS Titan .223.

SS had run out of .243 ammo and brought his .17hmr for some bunnies.

The first field we entered and had a shine in immediately showed two sets of eyes on the far side, so we drove in a little and started to call.

Then as we were scanning the field another two sets popped up no more than 60 yards to the right of us in a hedgerow, so that's 4 potential foxes in the field....

SS continued calling and the foxes to the right popped out, i shot one, the other darted back into cover. So i turned forward and shot the one we could still see in front. 2 down.

We tried calling the others in, but they were obviously a bit skittish now.

So we decided to move to another field near a wood, where again eyes popped up. We called another in, which i dropped. 3 down.

A quick shine around showed another fox was bounding in along a woodside behind us. Bang - 4 down.

Shining back at the third fox we saw two pairs of eyes lurking in the woods - we tried to coax them out, but didn't manage in the end.

Driving back up towards the first filed, we then spied some a fox through the line of poplars to our left out in a field.

We pulled up to a gap in the trees and then I dropped the 5th of the night.

I then took over driving duties and SS took to the roof.

We spied one more fox the other side of a field, but it refused to come in, so we drove back up the path and around some trees to doubel back on it - which worked - as we nudged the nose of the Frontera out, it was 60 yards or so in front, bang it was down for fox number 6.

We had a quick spin around, but it looked like we'd disturbed the area enough and decided to head over the road to the other farm area.

As soon as we passed through the gate, we spied three sets of eyes - left by some trees, straight ahead way out by a pylon and fairly close to the right.

The one on the right being no more than 100 yards, it ran in to about 40 yards and disappeared up the edge of the track, but a little more calling and it popped out about 60 yards awards. .17hmr between the eyes and it was fox number 7.

The one out the the right had probably winded us as it disappeared, but the one in front had come in a bit, but refused to come closed than 130 yards or so. Fortunately it was very still and SS had a nice stable platform, so he took the shot, and again a perfectly placed .17 round smacked home right between the eyes to make fox number 8.

We hardly saw any bunnies (we got 4), which isn't surprising as there was so many foxes about!

Tired but happy we headed home.

2d489034.jpg

Bottom left foxes were at the bottom of the feed bag, so got a bit bloody.