Alien Fish in the Tweed

Pole Star

Any one see the Scotish news last night ? it said 2 Pacific Pink Salmon have been netted in the river Tweed ! or was I dreaming !. It also said they have been found in rivers in Norway but no suggestions as to how they may have got in the wrong ocean also they say to kill them when or if caught .

Did they swim via artic north America or is their another way they came to be in the north atlantic ? , the mind boggles!. Any answers chaps ???? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

hmm interesting its happend a few times ... you know that sailfish that was "tangled up in ropes" in the forth 2 year back well it should have said "tangled in poachers nets" i saw it in the back of our beaters van lol it was a beast :lol:

Hello mate well I was just talking to an Orkney chap at the end of my lane who use to work on the salmon farms & hatcheries & he told me some thing about this subject I never knew.

It turns out that some times they get salmon eggs that some times have rainbows & artic char mixed in amongst them & its not till they take the fish out of the cages that they realize they are there !. That may well explain how pacific pink salmon are in our waters ?, he also tells me that fish eggs are flown around the world these days !, I wonder what we might get next !. Pole Star :hmm:

i was fishing the tweed 2 weeks ago on sprouston beat. one evening we had supper with a gillie from a beat nearer coldstream who was telling us about the pacific hump back salmon that had been netted up at berwick. he recalls its not the first to be netted on the river.

steve

Hello mate well I was just talking to an Orkney chap at the end of my lane who use to work on the salmon farms & hatcheries & he told me some thing about this subject I never knew.

It turns out that some times they get salmon eggs that some times have rainbows & artic char mixed in amongst them & its not till they take the fish out of the cages that they realize they are there !. That may well explain how pacific pink salmon are in our waters ?, he also tells me that fish eggs are flown around the world these days !, I wonder what we might get next !. Pole Star :hmm:

Rainbow trout eggs came from America in barrels on ships and have been used to stock English rivers including the Derbyshire Wye. Brown trout eggs went to New Zealand from the UK by similar means. You can catch American large mouth bass and tilapia in Cyprus having been stocked by the Government Fisheries Office and there are American sunfish in some French rivers. Carp were imported from the Continent to the UK in the 1350's or thereabouts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

hmm interesting its happend a few times ... you know that sailfish that was "tangled up in ropes" in the forth 2 year back well it should have said "tangled in poachers nets" i saw it in the back of our beaters van lol it was a beast :lol:

not quite correct it was a broadbill swordfish, not a Sailfish that was "tangled up in ropes" surprisingly they ain't that uncommon in our waters i seen one that was washed up in Loch long a few years back