my son's first pigeon

rodney

Took my 9 yr old son out yesterday afternoon for his first decoying session with his new single barrelled .410. Set up on wheat stubble with 18 FUDs and a couple of floaters. The birds were still feeding on field even after we picked up 151 last weekend.

He bagged his first pigeon after his 6th shot and he was so chuffed :D . He now wants to know when are we going again. Think i've got a new shooting buddy!!

post-22322-0-69066100-1314430604.jpg

Well done mate, my 8 yr old has been out decoying with me a few times. Got him on a BASC young shots day soon, then maybe some lessons on clays after, then probably his first gun. Interesting yours has a .410, an instructor told me to start him on a 20 bore as he considered a .410 would make it too difficult to hit anything with the small number of pellets.

Well done mate, my 8 yr old has been out decoying with me a few times. Got him on a BASC young shots day soon, then maybe some lessons on clays after, then probably his first gun. Interesting yours has a .410, an instructor told me to start him on a 20 bore as he considered a .410 would make it too difficult to hit anything with the small number of pellets.

I did consider a 20 bore but, he had a go with a .410 at a game fair and hit 2 out of 10 the first time he used a shotgun. He said thats what he wanted as he felt comfortable with the guns weight also. I'm sure he'll move onto a 20 bore when he's more confident and stronger.

I did consider a 20 bore but, he had a go with a .410 at a game fair and hit 2 out of 10 the first time he used a shotgun. He said thats what he wanted as he felt comfortable with the guns weight also. I'm sure he'll move onto a 20 bore when he's more confident and stronger.

Fair enough, has he had any lessons? Mine would kill for his own gun I know!

• 1 month later...

Well done young man, and Dad of course.

My grandson had his first pigeons, with a .410, he is now 9 and I have just purchased a 28g which will get it's first outing next week.

It is my belief that you should take them up in stages, with a gun that fits. A 20g is a little heavy in my opinion for a 9 year old, we do not want then going home with arms that ache etc.

Gently gently keep them interested and keep them keen.

My grandson is on the forum (not used as yet) as handlebar2, Pigeon mad has just started his grandson out on the pigeons, HEY maybe there could be a junior section for pigeon watch, what do you think?

Brilliant, another one hooked, Like my son he will end up with a better gun than you & every time you will give him your last cartridge.Most of the time i dont bother shooting i just sit there passing the cartridges and enjoy every moment. I quarantee the day he gets the bigger bag than you,he will never let you forget.