.177 OR .22

RoBBo

I've just ordered this Rifle http://www.airsportdirect.com/acatalog/SMKB2Carbine.html the 1 down the bottom for £42 now do i get the .177 OR the .22 im new to shooting but i see the .177 bullets are smaller but have a greater velocity the .177 has a max velocity of 755ft/sec and the .22 at 555ft/sec or something like that , wont that extra speed make up for the smaller bullet ? in other words which has more power and will kill a pigeon better ? the fast smaller 1 or slower more powerful 1 or do they have the same power , I've already ordered the .177 but am thining of changing it to .22 so please reply quick

anyone gona help ? :lol:

take my advice! I have a b2 and either calibre wont hit a barn door! You wont hit anything to use it on animals isnt good because if you do hit it by some miracle you wont kill it. Buy something good secondhand! PM me if you want advice on a different gun!

Edited by beatingisbest

If you can group with it and hit a target at 30 yards consistently with it then I cant see why not (provided you get a good shot in the correct kill zone). Are they feral pigeons or wood pigeons? I must add that Ive found wood pigeons incredibly tough...ive had trouble before dropping them with a .22 at 11.8Ftlbs. Headshots are the only real guarantee, and that is tricky! I think .177 and .22 are both fatal at the power we are talking about, so I wouldnt worry if you got it in .177.

-Andrew

ok now im worried lol it says its a best seller so i thought cant be that **** if anybody can point out a Rifle on that site that is value for money then please do so and post it here , im looking to spend under £100 for my 1st rifle any help would be great

if anybody can point out a Rifle on that site that is value for money then please do so and post it here , im looking to spend under £100 for my 1st rifle any help would be great

there isn't one go second hand mate its the only way for that sort of money :lol:

my mate bought his son one of them b2, could no hit a barn door with it, got disheartened gave up shooting all together.

as for getting moor people in to shooting there's one they failed with.

don't matter witch caliber .177 .22 they both kill.

go with the cometa its a good starter rifle

Steer well clear of Chinese,Russian or similar junk.

Your best bet for a first springer is something like a BSA meteor if you are a youngster or a second hand supersport or similar they kick out about 10 /11ft lbs respectivly.

My first gun (30 yrs ago) was a relum tornado,I'd have been better off throwing it at Bunnies.

I then bought a BSA meteor from a second hand shop and had loads of rabbits and rooks with it.

If you do opt for the meteor you can get a spring upgrade which makes it kick out 11.8 ftlbs.

Think of the B2 as a Lada or a wartburg,(cars) then you'll get my drift.

yep i agree with a couple of others up there or the money it would have to be one of the cometa rifles i dont think there is much to choose from between the two and whe you come to resell you rifle to upgrade it will be worth a bit more than the SMK rifle you were ti nking of.

ROB :lol:

my advice is to get the 22 if u try hitting a pigoen with a .177 it will think u shot a fly at it seriously it takes alot to take them down i shoot one yesterday with my 22 clean in the chest he didnt come down till about 15 yards :good::good:

luke

When you get a GOOD rifle (not SMK etc) then BOTH .177 & .22 are fine for pigeons but use a flat of short domed pellet as I found pointed pellets travel through and cause MINIMAL damage.

You want a pellet thet causes MAXIMUM trauma like a Hollow or Flat or a VERY shallow dome

it's 3 factors not just one

Factor one the Shooter

Factor 2 the Gun

Factor 3 the Ammunition

LG

I have been using a .177 on pigeons, coupled with pointed pellets. I found that the pellets passed through the bird and unfortunately they flew away maimed. Now, when using the .177 i simply do not pull the trigger unless i can secure a head shot.

I have used a .22 tx200 with domed pellets over the weekend and the pigeons were dropping much more easily with both head and chest shots.

Three factors have contributed to this 1) bigger pellet 2) more powerful rifle 3) not using pointed pellets.