GB plus steel

I picked up a box of GB plus steel 36g 3s earlier to test, got them home and discovered that the wad only covers 3/4 of the shot column. The rest is loose, like in a fibre shell :blink:

I've fired a few to pattern, and truth be told, they're ****, but I don't even know if I can use them without destroying my barrels

What do you think?

And another thing, anybody have any experience with lyalvale max game steel?

I picked up a box of GB plus steel 36g 3s earlier to test, got them home and discovered that the wad only covers 3/4 of the shot column. The rest is loose, like in a fibre shell :blink:

I've fired a few to pattern, and truth be told, they're ****, but I don't even know if I can use them without destroying my barrels

What do you think?

The shot should be fully enclosed in the wad, you don't want steel coming into contact with your barrels :no:

I'd take them back to where I bought them.

Just as a matter of interest, what distance are you patterning them, and with what choke?

Guest cookoff013

i`d ditch them, they shouldnt even be for sale.

the cip clearly states a protective wad must enclose all the steel pellets...

show them to your rfd where you got them, he`ll be getting alot of complaints if he still selling them.

are they an import?

The shot should be fully enclosed in the wad, you don't want steel coming into contact with your barrels :no:

I'd take them back to where I bought them.

Just as a matter of interest, what distance are you patterning them, and with what choke?

I'll probably take them back, someones going to wreck their barrels. Patterned at 35m, with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes, even at that range, huge holes in the pattern

i`d ditch them, they shouldnt even be for sale.

the cip clearly states a protective wad must enclose all the steel pellets...

show them to your rfd where you got them, he`ll be getting alot of complaints if he still selling them.

are they an import?

Imported from spain I believe

at any rate, I'm glad I cut one open :(

Guest cookoff013

I'll probably take them back, someones going to wreck their barrels. Patterned at 35m, with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes, even at that range, huge holes in the pattern

Imported from spain I believe

at any rate, I'm glad I cut one open :(

all that hassle for a steel shell that only goes 1200fps too.

i`m glad you cut one open too. still makes me think, handloading is the only way. the wads handloaders can get are so much better.

all that hassle for a steel shell that only goes 1200fps too.

i`m glad you cut one open too. still makes me think, handloading is the only way. the wads handloaders can get are so much better.

Yep, 1200 fps, I'm fairly sure that's something similar to walking pace :lol:

I'll not be getting into reloading any time soon, so I'll be sticking to good brand shells for this season I think

• 3 months later...

What do you think?

I have used a couple of boxes of max game steel in the 36gm 4 variety. Thought they weren't bad. Also used the hunting steel in 32gm 3. They were rubbish so out of interest I opened up one of each. First thing i found was the shot in both were exactly the same size at 3.27mm. The shot count was 210 and 240 pellets. I had no way of weighting the powders but amounts looked very similar and both of the same type. The wads were good extending to the end of the shot. However I did notice that the wads were not separated along the 4 splits and took considerable force to open out?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this thread's still getting replies :lol:

Since this was put up, the lyalvales have been put to good use, mostly for rabbits but also the odd duck and pigeon, and one unlucky pheasant that was walked up :blush:

In short, they work great, plenty of killing power, and without being too hard on the wallet. I've bought more, and I will again :good: