British Open Sporting At Hodnet

canthitathing

Just got back from Hodnet & as always Tom knows how to put a shoot on to test all abillities without going extream distance. There was nothing that couldnt be shot with 1/4 & 1/2. though I missed a few sitters with my 3/4 fixed choke to finish on 101 :) :)

Happy with that but I think I'll go & shoot it again next week because it was that good a shoot :good: :good:

What a cracking shoot, exactly what we expect from a showcase event. The targets were brilliant even though i did only hit 68 of them. I did smack 7 of the 8 rabbits on offer though. After reffing for the last 3 days at the police shoot at Beverley with 2 hours travelling each way and then a 3 1/4 hour drive to Hodnet, i can only blame myself for under performing, but did i enjoy it. YES YES YES. from Auntie. :good:

A 3 1/4 hour drive and more is a regular occurance for our Scottish friends, who never fail to shoot events held at Hodnet. Good luck to everyone attending, and thank you to Colin Will, Stuart Cumming etc., for gracing us with your presence. Where is Bobby Bruce & Willie Gordon?

Don't forget the re-run next Saturday.

Well, in fairness, Diggy had absolutely everything in his favour today, no wind, plenty of cloud cover, all he had to do was read the birds correctly, (which he does very well), and just treat it like another Sunday Morning at the office, (AKA...Horne, Gatton Bottom..??)

Having shot the course at the same time as him, I knew 111 wouldn't be good enough, it was a typical Hodnet layout, nothing too far out, but plenty of droppers and zippers to catch the unwary, (including me.. :blush: ).

A top quality lay out, congrats to the CPSA for sorting the squadding out, (at long last.. :rolleyes: )

Well shot to all of the PW'ers that made the effort, nobody can be disappointed after shooting such a superb course. :good:

Cat.

A fantastic course today - very enjoyable :good: It was one of the few occasions on which I have shot terribly, but rather than storm off to the car and put my foot down home, I could have happily grabbed some more shells and gone back round again :good: As Cat said, the squadding also ran smoothly - there was a slight overlap as the 11am squads started, which didn't seem necessary today, but I can see how it would have been for the last few days :yes: Kudos to the ground and to the CPSA for a job well done :good:

Me and Anni were squadded with Digweed today and it was a master class in shooting. A victory well deserved and awesome to watch. Whatever shreds of confidence I had left in my sporting shooting ability have now vanished into the ether though :no: Top bloke though - not the aloof character one might expect from somebody at the top of the game, squadded with shooters he didn't know. He had plenty of advice to give and despite the entourage of photographers and shooting press following him, had time for a natter afterwards. :good:

Edited by paulos

great shoot, the only thing against it was that 2 hours wasnt long enough to shoot the 120 birds - it took us 3 hours to get round and we started 30 mins early and got 3 stands in quick.

good to see that they moved some stands about and as proved by the big fella everything was consistantly hittable.

very engoyable even though it did P down with rain :)

This is NOT a criticism, god knows we should be grateful for pics and vids being posted by people but if the camera isn`t upto the task of capturing targets and the shooters, I personally think you might as well concentrate on the shooter and the groups around them?!

watch it in HD on a big monitor, ok it's not up to normal broadcast quality, but I could see most of the clays and breaks

thou as you say without seeing who was shooting it was pretty pointless, it could of been edited down to say 5 mins with a few title screens and cuts to close up's and also a screen with running results that would of made it much more interesting.

I'm not moaning for one second, being able to see the shot and awards was great, long live the mobile phone with a very good MP camera built in

Not a criticism, just my thoughts, but do you not think it may have been a little unfair to have had the shoot off on the Pool shoot? If you had shot the pool shoot many times, like some do it could have been to your advantage in the shoot off.

I know they moved the stands for the shoot off but those targets were BIG distances etc., It was nice to see it live.

I am still shellshocked at what a superb event it really was, it was a credit to Tom & Debbie Jones and their staff.

Agreed, British open chances are theres going to be some kind of shoot off, so maybe they should of set another stand up.

But in fairness the pool shoot looked pretty tuff, and would of sorted out a winner as it did on the day, even if you had spent some time practising it.

also we don't know if the ground staff slowed or sped up the traps before the shoot off, which could of been done at short notice.

like you say great event very difficult to find any fault at all with it.