Meeting with firearms officer

MG6065

Hi

Just got a call from my firearms officer to arrange a visit , he's coming this week, he mentioned you must be able to put alot of force on the cabinet without it coming off in your hand haha , but what else shall I expect to happen? What sort of questions shall I expect to be asked etc.?

Thanks

if its rawl bolted down properly, the wall will break before the bolts. each of those bolts has a sheer force of 1 ton. so if he can wiggle it out of the floor then its no good. my cabinets got 6 bolts in the wall and 4 in the floor because i live in one of those knock up town houses with the only non plaster wall being the garage and the walls breeze block. so the fixings were ****.

when he came out to me, his boss was there. he asked me about why i wanted a gun, what it was use for, who im going with and told me to go with a friend untill i was confident enough to go alone.

they also check your not some roul moat in the making.

took about 2.5- 3 hours. but all being said.. they were sound. and this waas when he was being audited. so i imagine he would be better if he was alone.

nothing to worry about as long as you dont try and pull the wool. :)

Which police force's area are you under?

My first co-term grant interview took maybe 20-30 minutes and a proportion of that was talking about niceties, not a grilling. They are trying to get a measure of your character as much as anything.

I've has 2 visits since that take about as long as I ask him far more question than he asks me. I confess to giving him a real grilling, but I think he likes it and once said I was asking the right questions.

The meeting for my sgc took 12 minuites. He didn't check the cabinet as it was the same as his and he said "mine is solid enough so yours should be ok" after this he said all was ok and to expect my license within the week. From interview my license took 4 days and that was including a weekend. My Fac was very similar new cabinet installed ready as the old one was too small, again he didn't want to check it had to force him upstairs to take a look. After a quick look he said fine back down stairs asked me what I was applying for sgc/fac :hmm: told him already had sgc this was for fac, asked what guns I wanted checked against the paperwork and then said I know the farm you are using for your fac everything else is fine and off he went. From start to finish he was here all of 9 minuites. My fac was hand delivered a couple of days later. My mate had his interview a couple of weeks later and the flo different to mine had a trainee with him (a young girl) he grilled my mate for 90 minuites and then said Ile have to do a few checks first before I can say wether or not you should be sucsessfull in gaining your sgc :lol:

As you're probably realising, it varies from one force to another.

My FEO was very friendly and helpful, gave me alot of good advice.

Interview lasted approx 20 mins. He looked at my cabinet but didn't check it was secured to the wall, asked where i would be shooting, did i have any previous experience etc.

SGC came through 10 days later, would've been quicker but FLO was on hol.

All in all 6 wks start to finish, pretty good considering my local force are right in the middle of their busiest period.

• 1 month later...

youve probably had all your checks by now but my SGC has just been issued by devon and cornwall, i applied for it the end of may, sent it all off, had my interview with a friendly enough guy few questions about experience and the likes then on his way about 15 minutes later, i was told anything up to three weeks or so for my certificate. it arrived last friday. end of may to mid october from devon and cornwall. many people ive spoken to have experienced pretty much the same time scale from them.

hope everythings gone well for you

stumpy

Im nervous about it ! Don't want to blow it ! Devon and Cornwall, when I rang up the other day I was told at least 12 weeks , I'm very lucky !

the only real thing to worry about is that you have the correct biscuits in (hob nobs) nothing else will do and dont let anyone of this site to tell you other wise bourbons, rich tea, custard creams, just dont cut it,

just remember hob nobs or you dont stand a chance,

colin

took about 2.5- 3 hours. but all being said.. they were sound. and this waas when he was being audited. so i imagine he would be better if he was alone.

nothing to worry about as long as you dont try and pull the wool. :)

Blimey mine was in and out in 20 min didnt even have a cup of tea/choccy biscuit and that included him getting a phone call from another applicant. That was for SGC not FAC mind same question why (clays) what experinece had i got (couple of lessons at local ground) what gun (my grandfathers SxS) what does my GF think about it (she was keen for me to apply)

Lets look back at your life:...

Name

Date of birth

Place of birth

Primary school

Secondary school

Higher eductation - when and where

Occupation & employer including timeframe

Parents - occupations

Relationship status

Partners name, date of birth and occupation

Experience with firearms - if experience when and where and with whom

About the permission

Lay of the land (ideally have a map and explain where backstops are)

What quarry there is

Relationship with land owner

Reason for picking calibre chosen

Opinion of firearms licensing (say its a good idea)

How quickly do you want it?

He then continued on to inspect the same - asking what type of bolts were used and then tugging on the safe so make sure it was secure.

There was scattered small talk in between about the police, the area I live in and the fact I'm getting married next year. This was with Lothian and Border Police force.

Edited by SittingBull

• 7 years later...

My interviews have always been under ten minutes in out eyeball cabinet and make sure it doesn’t fall out when you open the cupboard door. 

Not even time for a brew. 

I suspect a colleague who worked with the police a lot had discussed my case already the first time I applied as it went through many months faster than average for the area at the time. Otherwise all meetings have been change of address related and I suspect if they could process it on a photograph of the new cabinet location they would. 

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2011 at 21:54, DSPUK said:

3 Month's today I sent my renewal off (SGC)- was due on 25th August -- had a letter the other week - sorry for delay we are backlogged - good job I don't want anymore guns or want to sell one.

West Mercia mine.

Dave

You must be (literally) just up the road from me Dave. Normally the West Mercia FAO are very efficient. That said, my son has been waiting for quite some time for a variation to come back which seems to fit with your experience of a backlog.

On the assumption its the same FAO that came to see me last year, ours is a really nice chap. He spent more time talking about my son rather than me, saying how its great that more youngsters are taking up the sport and in general he was very encouraging. He was here for about 20 mins or so, seemingly more interested in character, rather than the relative merits of how my cabinet is bolted to the wall.