Recomendation...

Wildfowler12

Morning all, I returned my Webley 812 to the gunshop yesterday for a refund as it ruined the 1st for me jamming up on every shot bar 1. So...

I now have £450 to spend on a wildfowling gun I can take on the marsh and drop it **** the wipe clean :) ideally I'd like a synthetic one but NOT a hatsan or another Webley. Im not risking it again. I know there's not much in that budget but I don't want a brand new one. I'd take a 30year old thing so long as it's a magnum and is proofed to at least 1370 or steel shot proofed (I'll be using HP steel wildfowl loads).

Any recommendations? O/U or S/A

Edited by Wildfowler12

I'm suprised about your mates sx3. I've nothing but praise for them,plus two mates have same gun and no issues what so ever, I would still consider one but thats your choice. I used to have a super nove pump great gun but the sx3 is better.

My first fowling gun was a laurona, it was aa ou and was proofed for steel, i'm sure the inside of the barrels were cromed aswell, I hammered that gun but it never let me down.

Edited by Terry P

Morning all, I returned my Webley 812 to the gunshop yesterday for a refund as it ruined the 1st for me jamming up on every shot bar 1. So...

I now have £450 to spend on a wildfowling gun I can take on the marsh and drop it **** the wipe clean :) ideally I'd like a synthetic one but NOT a hatsan or another Webley. Im not risking it again. I know there's not much in that budget but I don't want a brand new one. I'd take a 30year old thing so long as it's a magnum and is proofed to at least 1370 or steel shot proofed (I'll be using HP steel wildfowl loads).

Any recommendations? O/U or S/A

Once mud is in the action area you stuffed with an auto, thats why we take care with them on the marsh. Buy a break action gun but like the semi if you get mud up the thing it will blow up on you. I use an sx3, it has never jamed on the marsh, i have two mates with Webleys only one had issues just the other day as he got it filled with mud, one with a beretta.

Might i suggest you put the gun down action up on the gunslip if you must put it down or use a sling.

Might i suggest you put the gun down action up on the gunslip if you must put it down or use a sling.

That's exactly what I do, gun slip laid out and the action up resting on the slip. The Webley kept jamming because it was pants not because it was dirty. My beretta fairs slightly better on the marsh, but you can't beat an o/u...

That's exactly what I do, gun slip laid out and the action up resting on the slip. The Webley kept jamming because it was pants not because it was dirty. My beretta fairs slightly better on the marsh, but you can't beat an o/u...

Pants? is that a tecnical term for failure to look after it? I should be looking for a definitive reason why it failed to cycle before i made a desision, it could have been as simple as carbon build up in the ports

Pants? is that a tecnical term for failure to look after it? I should be looking for a definitive reason why it failed to cycle before i made a desision, it could have been as simple as carbon build up in the ports

I am meticulous when it comes to cleaning my guns, especially my autos. It had nothing to do with the gun not being looked after. I fired no more than 150cartridges through the gun in the 8months I had it. It was in the gun smiths twice and returned to Webley 3 times for failing to cycle cartridges correctly. The gun was sparkling clean, well oiled, the piston in the correct position and the o-ring in tact. It successfully cycled 1 3' cartridge out of 10 test shots on the 1st September. Hence why it was returned, I'd had enough of it!