Weighing in / Scrapping a car

ME

The Essex "Bad Boy" mark 1 (suzuki vitara) has been replaced with a road legal version.

After taking what I want off it I am thinking about scrapping it. Looking in the back for our local paper some companies are offering to collect cars and pay up to £210.00.

Is anyone in the know about this? What is the going rate in your area? Would I get more if I took it down to a scrap dealers? How do I get the best return?

Local company offered me £70 collected for my diesel fiesta - I drove it in to another yard and got £142.50...this was Feb 2010, prices have gone up since then - £130 per tonne at the time IIRC

Ring a few scrap yards, they'll quote you their price per tonne, drag it in and you don't end up funding the middle man's profit.

Edited by Rushjob

The Essex "Bad Boy" mark 1 (suzuki vitara) has been replaced with a road legal version.

After taking what I want off it I am thinking about scrapping it. Looking in the back for our local paper some companies are offering to collect cars and pay up to £210.00.

Is anyone in the know about this? What is the going rate in your area? Would I get more if I took it down to a scrap dealers? How do I get the best return?

The lads I deal with pay that sort of money, some times a bit more depending on the car (ally wheels, cat, etc...)

It is a good price, so cash it up and no :sick: as it goes down the road :lol:

One thing i would say is dont strip it to much as who ever buys it has to make a living!

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab130/TheEssexHunter/Metal%20work/?action=view&current=STA60195.jpg

TEH

Check out what they are offering I made the mistake of taking a truck load og old gearbox's etc. to Benfleet scrap and was urprised to find I only got about half of what I'd expected. People in the know told me after thet give the lowest prices in the area and i should have gone to Sammy's in Basildon or Rochford. on the bright side there a lot less **** in the shed and garage now.

Fill the tank with sand and put a breeze blocks under the seats :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Just don't go back for a while :oops:

I stripped a shogun SWB, no engine, exhaust, interior, wheels, lots and lots missing, no sand or blocks and got £150 for it. :good:

I think most scrap metal merchants have got wise to that one !! :yes:

Some places won't let you work on the car in the "recycle centre" now due to health and safety. I had 4 newish tyres on and the scumbags would let me take them off. Never mind I had the car running in a jerry can under the bonnet with the feed/return pipes in blocked the tank filled it with water soaked all the interior. Took started and alternator off. Servo , general parts you can sell and got 183.40 for an old astra diesel. But in some places you can't just weigh it in now due to the new log books with the red front. The old style your fine to go anywhere

Deffenatly take the cat off £40-£50 if your lucky and basically take it apart as much as you can be bothered and try differant places and ebay them old suzukis still get used alot by people so you will proberly get more than you think if its in bits especially for engine and gearbox if there good