Mammoth Crayfish Day

Billy.

I headed out this morning with four nets and got set up by 7am. Quiet start with the odd one or two here, but after 8am and a change of bait to salmon, the crayfish were coming up with up to 8 in a net :D

The container I took with me soon filled up and I had to start filling up my B&Q bucket which was never intended for holding them... It was quite evident by 11am that I needed some assistance, so I got on the phone to Twitchynik and he brought me down another container.

We got consistent good numbers once we'd picked a decent spot, but decided to go and set up opposite the pub so we could let the nets soak for a bit longer over a pint.

At this point, we met up with BakerBoy who came armed with fishfingers for bait :rolleyes: Turned out to be a bit of a winner to our surprise.

The crowds were really coming in, in awe of our catch. By this point I was certain we'd broken the 100 mark, but in all honesty, I'd not a clue :oops:

We packed up as Terry said he had a good spot to fish up the road. We only had to travel 200 yards, but the difference was unbelievable - in an hour we lifted over 100 and they just kept on coming. HuffHuff came to the rescue with another container and he let out some girly noises as he attempted to pick up a crayfish. His efforts were far better put to use being the 'netboy'

3308274d.jpg

Through sheer exhaustion and the fact it was brought to my attention that I was to take the entire catch home, meant it was time to pack up. The photo shows just how much we caught. All the containers are packed full. However, for transport purposes, we managed to fit the crayfish into two containers (one large, which required two people to lift and one small, which one person could lift (remember that for later ;) ))

f78a06f5.jpg

We headed back to Terry's house and had an impromptu garden party with fish and chips for dinner. We were hazarding a guess at the total amount and it was averaging around 230. However Mrs BakerBoy said she thought there were 350 and she had to retract that as we all said it was too high... Turns out she may have been spot on :rolleyes:

I got the Crayfish home and stttuuppiddlllyyyy emptied them into the bath. Just a tip for anyone who might think this is a good idea. Don't! I'll put this down as one of the silliest things I've ever done - But I still filmed it for your satisfaction :rolleyes:

After another brief purge, I got a pot of boiling water on the go and started to cook them, five to ten at a time...

How best to put this; I had to give up counting/cooking at 145, through sheer exhaustion and the fact that the bath didn't seem to be emptying. So as an emergency action, I scooped the crayfish out of the bath using a huge colander back into the large container. ...I managed to fill that container to the brim before the bath was empty :huh: :huh:

My estimate now stands at 300-400 crayfish. I'll continue cooking/counting tomorrow.

The video really doesn't show how many there are. It's a deep pile of them :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kwyFC-_XYA

Once again a massive thanks to Terry for his time, effort and guidance :good: Also thanks to the others for helping out :good:

I'll update when I have news :whistling:

Total - 392 :D:yahoo:

9441192f.jpg

Edited by Billy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The total is in.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Here's the lineup of the offenders. Any eagle-eyed members will notice a few missing. 12 went to a greek man who insisted I took £2 for them :rolleyes: and quite a few didn't make it through the night/transportation.

9441192f.jpg

I would just like to stress that these were all caught within 200 yards of water, on one side of a river. Scary to think how serious these are as a pest.

Edited by Billy.

Fish fingers are the magic bait then?

I've got a large crayfish net out now in a small trout lake which I'm a syndicate member of - it has some smelly squid in which I'm hoping will pull a few of the big ones in tonight.

Nice haul by the way! 392...that'll provide some decent packed lunches for you over the next couple of weeks.

Fish fingers are the magic bait then?

I've got a large crayfish net out now in a small trout lake which I'm a syndicate member of - it has some smelly squid in which I'm hoping will pull a few of the big ones in tonight.

Nice haul by the way! 392...that'll provide some decent packed lunches for you over the next couple of weeks.

Lets us know how you get on.

Good luck

I'd be in too, would love a go at that. Put me down if it gets off the ground

Cos give me call and we can have a day/morning/afternoon out on the Crayfish :good: .

I am on holiday 12-22 but you could meet up with Billy maybe, Stansted Abbotts is only 10/15 minutes from you.

I am available most of this week if you want :yes: .

Cheers

Terry