xtrail or freelander

buckaroo23

as my current car is all but nakerd clutch and drive shaft, ive started to look round for a new ride, i like the look of the xtrail but also a freelander, which one is best or do i save up s bit more cash and look for a pick up but which il be looking at bout £6000 max when i can save the cash up that is.

Ive had 2 x-trails

first was an early one (112 bhp) mpg was low to mid 30's round the doors 45 on a run

second was 136bhp, round the doors was high 20's high 30's on a run

never had problems with sensors in the cold on either or turbo problems

later one had 17" wheels so you cant get off road tyres (215/60/17)

early one had 16" (215/65/16) so could get anything (at2's and the like)

road tax was £245 on both, both really nice to drive and huge sunroofs for shooting from.

I had an xtrail custom dog box (never used it) but could get 2 dogs in but little else unless on back seat.

And yes i would have another over a freelander which i find a lot smaller inside comfort wise, but at the end of the day its down to personal choice

:shaun:

Had an early Gaylander :blush:, it was a petrol but was ****, eveything went wrong. The early diesels were bmw based units and bullet proof.

Had a 54 plate x trail- great car but turbo went after a couple of years. Under warranty but did not fill us with confidence....

I think it's down to personal taste, both are good at what they do.

• 2 weeks later...

Freaklander 4x4 system is awful. Can't turn a corner without gear-train windup, turning circle of an oil tanker, everything electrical will stop working. Engine mount broke on the old man's, as well as numerous head gaskets, clutch actuator faults, cooling fan failures etc etc. The only way he could drive off-road with it was to let nearly all the damn air out the tyres.

Wouldn't touch one with a sh*tty stick.

In my limited experience of both I would say that the Freelander is really small inside and is difficult to get in and out of without banging your head or hurting your back as the seats are so high compared to the roof... Unreliability (as well documented) can be an issue - they seem to be either really good or really bad, nothing in between.

However they're good off road and have a certain kudos, obviously.

The X Trail on the other hand is easy to get in and out of, has much more room inside and will probably be more reliable however they do have their issues with turbo's and the like. Can't get an auto box in the diesel ones (unless you go for the new ones) and you can in the Freelander which some prefer for the type of use they get.

Don't know about off road but I would assume the Freelander has the upper hand with it's hill descent and so on. I reckon the X Trail looks good, too.

Personally I would go for the X Trail but only because of the space, the rear hatch that you can shelter from the rain under and reliability.

He probably wants to get in and be sure that it'll actually start. Rules out Green Ovals obviously. :lol:

Hill descent control is only there if you don't the basics of "keep your feet off of everything" when going downhill. School boy error that one. But yes driven and owned both, still have an X-trail, so read into that what you will.

• 2 weeks later...

i have an 03reg Xtrail , and it goes everywhere i shoot! there plenty of room in the boot and back if you fold seats down plenty for a days decoying/wildfowling with 2 dogs easy, i drive at 60mph and i can just sqeeze 550miles a tank out of my 2.2dci, freelander have a lot of starting problems when cold and the turbo bearings tend to go alot to, ive had my xtrail since 56000, and its on 84000 now and all ive done is change the front wheel bearings but thats wear and tear and the 4wheel drive system is great! i would highly reccomend one!!!

I'm currently swinging towards an Xtrail to replace the Frontera, as I need to use it for work as well now.

The xtrail is much more refined and more comfy......

just beware if your using it off road dont get the 17" wheels (later models) cant get off road tyres for them,

I would def have another, i loved mine

:shaun:

have a look at the Suzuki Grand Vitara, dont know what the newer ones are like but 99-05 plate ones are great, I have a 2.0 diesel on 54plate, 32mpg local& mid 40s on run, 2 or 4wd & low box, no diff lock tho, road tax £245 I would put the suzuki reliability way higher than a gaylander