Will it go over 12ft lbs?

Farmer-of-the-Futre

Hey all, I have had a call from a guy selling an s410 and i am rather interested but it is one of the older versions with the power adjuster (anti-tamper) i think thats what its called! :blush: Anyway will these rifles go over 12ft lbs and if so can they still be owned by people that dont have an FAC? Thanks, Matt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a little screw you can turn to up or lower the power on the older versions.

However i wouldnt imagine it could take it over the limit without other mods. Even so get it crono'd before you buy and never mess with it, if you go over by .1 of a FT/LBS you would be in the shi* big style

from the way you have worded it, it sounds like you want to know if "you" can shoot it over 12ftlbs without an FAC??

That you can not thats why they are FAC rated air rifles and need an FAC to posses and use one.

As it is now is it FAC rated or sub 12ftlbs?

the problem with air rifles and the PCP variety is if you have it set up close to FAC limits one day, the next day if warmer it could tip it over the limit and you have and FAC air rifle without an a FAC.

Best to get it over a chrono before buying it else the problem lands on your lap not his.

It is one of the older versions, prehaps not the 'anti tamper' im not quite sure what that is, im guessing it means you can change the power :unsure: So if it is one of the older ones that has the power adjuster to i need an FAC? or is it okay aslong as i keep it turned down under 12ft lbs? Sorry for the bad explinations :blush:

doesnt matter if it is adjustable or not keep it under 12ftlbs and your ok go over and your in trouble :good:

Thanks. So it will be fine to own and shoot even if it 'can' go over 12 ft lbs? Just checking, dont want to make a deal and find out i need an FAC :blink: he said he is running it about 11.6 i have no need to go higher than that anyway. No point taking the risk and getting it too close to 12

The older 400/10 can be adjusted. It can be adjusted to well over 12ft/lb. If you adjust it over 12ft/lb it would then require you to have it on a FAC.

Simple answer is don't adjust it over 12 ft/lb. If you've been playing with it I'd get it chrono'd a bit sharpish and likewise if you are unsure of it's output, if you intend to regularly try and tweak it then buy a chronograph.

My S400 when I first got it had been played with, fortunately I got the dealer to check it before I took it..."Bloody Hell!" he muttered, "It's running at 18.5 ft/lb!". It was swiftly recalibrated to 11.2, far more sensible!

All the time the output is below 12 it's fine to use, regardless of the fact that it COULD be more powerful, it isn't. As a footnote, I'd be a little concerned with it running at 11.6 myself, different temperatures and even pellets can alter the velocity, it may be 11.6 with one pellet but higher with another, at 11.6 there's not much room for error. :hmm:

Edited by -Mongrel-

The older 400/10 can be adjusted. It can be adjusted to well over 12ft/lb. If you adjust it over 12ft/lb it would then require you to have it on a FAC.

Simple answer is don't adjust it over 12 ft/lb. If you've been playing with it I'd get it chrono'd a bit sharpish and likewise if you are unsure of it's output, if you intend to regularly try and tweak it then buy a chronograph.

My S400 when I first got it had been played with, fortunately I got the dealer to check it before I took it..."Bloody Hell!" he muttered, "It's running at 18.5 ft/lb!". It was swiftly recalibrated to 11.2, far more sensible!

All the time the output is below 12 it's fine to use, regardless of the fact that it COULD be more powerful, it isn't. As a footnote, I'd be a little concerned with it running at 11.6 myself, different temperatures and even pellets can alter the velocity, it may be 11.6 with one pellet but higher with another, at 11.6 there's not much room for error. :hmm:

Thanks Mongrel, thats the awnser ive been looking for :good: I have not yet got the gun ( i have been speeking to someone who rang up to sell it to me) I would like to get it and not many come up around my area at a good price and i hope good condition like this one seems to be. I would proberbly take it down to around 11 to be safe and prehaps try to cover the screw so i dont accidently move it. Thanks, Matt

Thanks. So it will be fine to own and shoot even if it 'can' go over 12 ft lbs? Just checking, dont want to make a deal and find out i need an FAC :blink: he said he is running it about 11.6 i have no need to go higher than that anyway. No point taking the risk and getting it too close to 12

I have an S210 MKI, it also has the adjuster on it, when I bought it, it was running at 19ftlbs, the gunsmith turned it down to 11.6 & I shoot it at that.

Edited by PLH1966

Thanks guys! sorry for the bad explination to start with :P I know you will think im mad but i am hoping to sell my air ranger for the s410, it will be handy to have that bit more money to spend on things like bipods ect and the ranger just feels too much for me in a way, i dont need a gun that expensive and i have heard alot of people say this recently 'it doesnt matter what one is the most expensive, go with what feels best and what you shoot best with' well when i did shoot an s410 it felt like it was tailor made for me and i shot better with it than i ever have done with my ranger! So if i can get it sold hopefully the s410 may be coming my way :) Thanks, Matt

The power adjuster is under a security torx screw on the right side of the rifle above the trigger. On newer models the security torx is replaced with a tiny shear bolt. It will go over the limit by quite an amount but you would be stupid to use it like that and risk losing any licence you have along with getting a criminal record. Mine is set at 11FPE and will kill bunnies at up to 50yards. You don't need to take the risk of getting too close to the limit :good:

as far as i understand it ,,, if you have an external way of adjusting(i.e thumb wheels or stocks machined for access to allen heads) the power output and that power output can go beyond

12ftlb you will be done for having an FAC fire arm , even if your using it set at below 12ftlb at the time .

Edited by snipper

as far as i understand it ,,, if you have an external way of adjusting(i.e thumb wheels or stocks machined for access to allen heads) the power output and that power output can go beyond

12ftlb you will be done for having an FAC fire arm , even if your using it set at below 12ftlb at the time .

You understand it wrong then. Many people myself included own a air rifle Mk1 Rapid 7 in my case that could if wanted be turned up very easily. Nothing illegal about it. (so long as its not turned up of course)

Edited by Luckyshot

You understand it wrong then. Many people myself included own a air rifle Mk1 Rapid 7 in my case that could if wanted be turned up very easily. Nothing illegal about it. (so long as its not turned up of course)

As the man says, if it's not producing more than 12ft/lb, it's irrelevant as to what it could make. If it's set legally, it's a legal air rifle.

The AAS400/410 CAN be FAC power, there is a Torx security screw that covers the adjuster as has been said.

Keep it set between 11-11.5ft/lb because if plod test it they will test it with many different pellets to see what the gun runs hottest with, and then use that reading.

The only hing is the AAS400/410 will go FAC power but not much over 20ft/lb or so im told so if you want a FAC version get the S410 Extra and throw out up to 36ft/lb.

missing the point ............. if it adjustable externally and is 'capable' of going over 12ftlb

im not talking about extra washers in a springer :blink:

any airgun is capable but if you have say an allen key sticking out of the back of the breech ect

you have a section 1 in your hands

ring your FLO if you dont believe me :good:

All Precharged Air Guns are Capable of Exceeding the Sub 12FP Rule

If fitted with or without AT Seals

It's down to shooter to keep it below in all weathers -

As Precharged Air Gun do run higher on Warmer / Hot Day's

A FAC Air Gun is Only valid if listed on someones FAC Certificate

As Most Tickets are very restricted as to how many FAC Air Gun's can be held and any one time

Most Forces - FEO's

BOB/R

My s410 got tested at 11.6, thought I would see what it will do, in a safe place just into the floor and chrono'd at 16.8 so yes can go over. All turned back down now and at 11.5 which is fine for me and the ranges I shoot. Again this is behind a Allen key bolt mine must of been replaced as it's not a torx. I heard aslong as you can't adjust it without taking something out. I.e not getting to the screw easily.

Edited by dan-250