Will it go over 12ft lbs?

Farmer-of-the-Futre

I read somewhere a while ago that,,, "if it is easy to do with a simple tool, ie only needs a quick tweak, then it's a FAC."

I think that must mean, if you can stick say, an allen/hex key into a hole, and turn it, without taking the gun to bits, it's FAC.

It may be hard to prove, but if in doubt, don't touch ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL air rifles can be turned up beyond 12flb but that dosnt make them illegal as longs as you dont fiddle with it and turn it up,if however it has been listed as fac then it is always fac and you would need a licence even if turned down to below the 12flb mark.

Edited by flukeyluke

Below 12ftlbs no FAC needed above 12ftlbs FAC needed, doesn't matter if you have a great big sticker on a screw with a screw driver hanging off of it saying " turn me to increase" as long as it's below the limit it's 100% legal

Now what's hard to understand about that?

Ps. As mention previously above, if it is FAC rated on ticket turning it down doesn't make it non FAC. Once FAC rated it's very hard to get taken off FAC ticket.

Below 12ftlbs no FAC needed above 12ftlbs FAC needed, doesn't matter if you have a great big sticker on a screw with a screw driver hanging off of it saying " turn me to increase" as long as it's below the limit it's 100% legal

Ps. As mention previously above, if it is FAC rated on ticket turning it down doesn't make it non FAC. Once FAC rated it's very hard to get taken off FAC ticket.

Thanks for the assurance mate :) The guy says he has had the gun from new and had never touched the screw, he has it chronoed at around 11.6. so that rifle would be fine to own without an FAC. I may even turn it down to more around the 11.2 mark when i choose the right pellet :)

doesn't matter if you have a great big sticker on a screw with a screw driver hanging off of it saying " turn me to increase" as long as it's below the limit it's 100% legal

Hi fella, can you tell me where you read that please?

So if a nice Police person visited you on your shoot with said gun and he asked "what's that screwdriver do hanging out of your airgun?" Your reply would be?,,,, :hmm:

Hi fella, can you tell me where you read that please?

So if a nice Police person visited you on your shoot with said gun and he asked "what's that screwdriver do hanging out of your airgun?" Your reply would be?,,,, :hmm:

My reply would be...... Get off my land you don't have permission to be on it.... As for the screw driver it for tunning the rifle.... Is it below 12ftlbs yes would you like to test it?

They can only test the rifle without altering anything and with the pellets found with it.

How do I know this.... Because I rang my FEO and proof house to ask

sorry but thats boll###s :yes:

Why is it when somone asks for advice is given it more than once by different people an still questions it.

Also all these other people saying other people's replies are wrong.

If you want to find the answers to them ask your FEO or proof house as I did and stated above.

Will bow out now as it's boring me

Why is it when somone asks for advice is given it more than once by different people an still questions it.

Also all these other people saying other people's replies are wrong.

If you want to find the answers to them ask your FEO or proof house as I did and stated above.

Will bow out now as it's boring me

How would i know if one persons awnser is right and anothers is wrong? i think it makes sense to be owned not on FAC aslong as it isnt turned up about 12. I dont know why there is so many mixed info

there was a test case in 2010 july i think where a chap in derby got

Sentanced to 12 months - Suspended for 24 Months

Plus 100 Community Service

external adjusters making a gun CAPABLE of going over 12ftlb ..... i know the laws an *** but people should be aware

of the law

read these threads :good:

http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/index.php?showtopic=55959&hl=external+adjusters

http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/index.php?showtopic=57312&hl=external+adjusters

there was a test case in 2010 july i think where a chap in derby got

Sentanced to 12 months - Suspended for 24 Months

Plus 100 Community Service

external adjusters making a gun CAPABLE of going over 12ftlb ..... i know the laws an *** but people should be aware

of the law

read these threads :good:

http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/index.php?showtopic=55959&hl=external+adjusters

http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/index.php?showtopic=57312&hl=external+adjusters

Cant see the threads on those links, But im sure if the rifle is under 12ft lbs and i never turn it up over that that it will be perfectly fine. And if i carry on to be a safe shot as i intend to for the rest of my life i should not have trouble with the police and end up in court. What i may do in the futre if i buy the gun is get it put onto FAC, Then nothing can go wrong

How would i know if one persons awnser is right and anothers is wrong? i think it makes sense to be owned not on FAC aslong as it isnt turned up about 12. I dont know why there is so many mixed info

As snipper says,,,, and many others before him,,,, the law's an ***! Confusing is a better word.

Ask yourself this,,,,

If you tweaked said gun UP a bit [which would take seconds to do] to see how it performs, but with no intention of leaving it at the higher setting,,,, the PC Smith comes along before you can tweak it back down again,,,, What do you think the outcome would be? :hmm:

Snowz reply saying that all airguns are capable of being "upped" is true. But with most airguns you simply cannot do this in the field, for obvious reasons. Not going into details [not allowed] but it would take quite a while and wouldn't be practical TBH :no:

The decision is yours fella, but I personally walk away :/

As snipper says,,,, and many others before him,,,, the law's an ***! Confusing is a better word.

Ask yourself this,,,,

If you tweaked said gun UP a bit [which would take seconds to do] to see how it performs, but with no intention of leaving it at the higher setting,,,, the PC Smith comes along before you can tweak it back down again,,,, What do you think the outcome would be? :hmm:

Snowz reply saying that all airguns are capable of being "upped" is true. But with most airguns you simply cannot do this in the field, for obvious reasons. Not going into details [not allowed] but it would take quite a while and wouldn't be practical TBH :no:

The decision is yours fella, but I personally walk away :/

But surley it would be fine if i simply didnt turn it up? Thanks for the reply

But surley it would be fine if i simply didnt turn it up? Thanks for the reply

i was looking for a picture to show you what i mean ......... clicky the stock has been cut away for easy access

some people machine the rear of the stock and fit say a thumb wheel to wind the power right up when in the field

and think that if its turned back down to below 12ftlb when been approched by plod its legal again

but it isn't ...

many early air guns had an adjuster then capped off with another allen screw and not reachable when the stock is

fitted

Edited by snipper

Right but i will not ever turn up the dial so the gun will be perfectly legal, i also think it will be worth investing in a chrono too. Thanks for the help guys and from what i can tell the gun can be owned without an FAC aslong as it isnt or hasnt ever been turned up abover 12ft/lbs. The guy selling it said it was running at 11.6, like i said i will proberbly turn it down a notch to be safe :)

If the rifle has previously been registered with the police authority as a FAC that is to say its been declared as operating at above the 12ftlb level and the serial number has been recorded it will always be classed as a Fire arm irrespective of whether it is detuned to operate at sub 12ftlb or not. Also it cannot be sold unless the purchaser has a FAC

I think you can get a RFAD to de-classify them but Im not sure.

All sports of Gloucester recently locked up a adjustable power falcon for me to 12ftLB which had been used in excess of this by the previous owner but it was never registered as a firearm so I was lucky.

If the rifle has previously been registered with the police authority as a FAC that is to say its been declared as operating at above the 12ftlb level and the serial number has been recorded it will always be classed as a Fire arm irrespective of whether it is detuned to operate at sub 12ftlb or not. Also it cannot be sold unless the purchaser has a FAC

I think you can get a RFAD to de-classify them but Im not sure.

All sports of Gloucester recently locked up a adjustable power falcon for me to 12ftLB which had been used in excess of this by the previous owner but it was never registered as a firearm so I was lucky.

I have only spoken to the seller on the phone but he said it is running at 11.6 and he has never touched the screw, He sounds like a nice sort of guy and i can only hope he is telling the truth, anyway i will be able to have a longer convo with him about it face to face, in the end i feel i should just get a FAC so i can wind it up anyway

I have only spoken to the seller on the phone but he said it is running at 11.6 and he has never touched the screw, He sounds like a nice sort of guy and i can only hope he is telling the truth, anyway i will be able to have a longer convo with him about it face to face, in the end i feel i should just get a FAC so i can wind it up anyway

Just find out if he has ever declared it as a FAC on his certificate. If not then you are pretty safe.

If he has then walk away.

Just find out if he has ever declared it as a FAC on his certificate. If not then you are pretty safe.

If he has then walk away.

Yep sounds like a plan, im not sure he has an FAC anyway, i know he has a huntsman and hw100 but he didnt mention if they were FAC, time will tell but i need to get rid of the air ranger first, i have contacted my local RFD to see if they will take it in :) Thanks for the advice, matt

take a look on guntrader there are some mk1 s200's and the pre anti tamper aa s410's for sale both types have the grub screw with the 1mm alan key screw to fine tune them, if they where illegal the dealers would not be able to sell them as none fac,

i had both 210 and 410 both had the said screw both where sold to me new from a dealer both could be turned up easily if i wanted, both were legal

colin