20 minutes with the HMR

Frenchieboy

The weather decided to offer me a window to go out with the HMR for a quick walk so what could I do?

Yep, you've guessed - I packed the HMR and went for a quick look at a small new permission that I had been asked to do some thinning out of the rabbits on. The permission is only one field of about 10 acres and a small wooded area.

I parked the car and walked through the woods to where I can sit in a perfect position for "sniping" and got my trusty HMR out and loaded it's magazine up with 5 Federal 17G bullets. At the time there were 4 rabbits in the centre of the field but something spooked them and they ran for cover.

Not to worry, out came the flask and I was sitting comfortable and ready for a waiting game.

The first rabbit appeared about 10 minutes later and sat broadside on to me offering a nice easy head shot at about 75 yards. A gentle squeeze on the trigger saw it leap up in the air and kick a few times and that was that.

I decided to bide my time rather than go and pick it up straight away and within a couple of minutes 2 rabbits appeared from the opposite side of the field. I watched and waited a few minutes while they built their confidence up and started feeding about 120 yards from me. One decided to sit up broadside on to me so it was "game on"! With the cross hairs squarely between it's eye and it's ear the shot was taken and it dropped on the spot! The second one, which was feeding about 10 yards from it ran a few yards and stopped again. It was facing me on an angle of about 45 degrees so I did not have the chance of a straight forwards head shot. I waited a few seconds longer and it lifted it's head so I decided to take the shot. It was not perfect shot placement as the shot entered just below the head in the side of the neck and exited through the far shoulder but it dropped, kicked a little and that was that again so I was quite content. When I paced it out to pick them up the furthest was 135 (Good sized) paces. 3 shots for 3 rabbits and all at reasonable ranges - Not too bad, better than sitting in and watching the rubbish on telly any day/evening.

The photo shows the results in the order they were shot in from left to right.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photo, they were taken with my pocket camcorder/digital camera!

post-17172-0-11345000-1315511893.jpg

Edited by Frenchieboy

Tea mate! :good:

I have a golden rule never to drink and drive under any circumstances! :no::no::no:

Good man, I'm the same although have to have coffee in the flask, find tea keeps getting stronger!

Make ya tea / coffee in a jug and napalm it in the micro before putting it in ya flask. Stays hit for donkeys!!

Well done mate, iv'e got a 17hmr but every time i get the time to zero it it's to windy, one day maybe. What distance did you zero yours in at.

I keep mine zeroed sopt on at 100 yards, that leaves me with a straigh aim and shoot at most of the head shots I take. I am quite fortunate that mine is near enough a tack driver and I can normally clover leaf a group of 5 shots at 100 yards!

If I can't get to within 150 yards of a rabbit I start to worry and have to think about what I am doing wrong - It's all a part of fieldcraft! :good:

I can't wait for my 17 ..... Roll on end of the month PAY DAY .... :good: Without starting a new thread if it's zeroed at 100 at what distance would you start to use hold over ? :hmm: Ps well done frenchie :good:

Zeroed at 100 yards I don't bother using any hold over till beyond 200 yards but I rarely do anything much at that distance anyway, like I said, if I can't get to within 150 yards of a rabbit then there is something wrong with my fieldcraft skills! I can hardly see anything beyond 200 yards anyhow - Must got to SpecSavers:lol: :lol::lol:

I was up at one of the quarries that I shoot at the other week with a few members of the rifle and pistol club having a zeroing and plinking session, we were shooting 4 inch clays at 200 yards with our 17HMRs without any holdover and tennis balls at the same distance with the .243s!

Whilst the .22 has a lot of virtues (I am getting another as soon as I get my certificate back) I personally believe that the 17HMR is the best rimfire calibre by far and is extremely versatile! :good:

Edit:

Andy, Yes, they are all clean in my area, :yes: fortunmately there is no sign of mixy and I sincerely hope it stays that way. :good: And yes I am still puffing and I know I really need to do something about it mate!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Zeroed at 100 yards I don't bother using any hold over till beyond 200 yards but I rarely do anything much at that distance anyway, like I said, if I can't get to within 150 yards of a rabbit then there is something wrong with my fieldcraft skills! I can hardly see anything beyond 200 yards anyhow - Must got to SpecSavers:lol: :lol::lol:

I was up at one of the quarries that I shoot at the other week with a few members of the rifle and pistol club having a zeroing and plinking session, we were shooting 4 inch clays at 200 yards with our 17HMRs without any holdover and tennis balls at the same distance with the .243s!

Whilst the .22 has a lot of virtues (I am getting another as soon as I get my certificate back) I personally believe that the 17HMR is the best rimfire calibre by far and is extremely versatile! :good:

Edit:

Andy, Yes, they are all clean in my area, :yes: fortunmately there is no sign of mixy and I sincerely hope it stays that way. :good: And yes I am still puffing and I know I really need to do something about it mate!

Your HMR shoots a lot flatter than mine.

Your HMR shoots a lot flatter than mine.

My 17 HMR does shoot surprisingly flat out to 200 yards (Measured with a lazer range finder) using Federal V.Shock 17g ammunition as many who have been out with me will verify - I often practice at 200 yards shooting at 4 inch clays or 3 inch tennis balls! If any members in my area doubt me they would be more than welcome to come out ao the quarry where I practice and see for themselves, or even have a go themselves if they want!

Frenchie, i have had a similar thing with my HMR. from memory i zeroed at 36 yards, which, again from memory corresponded with another zero at 120 yards. Anyway zeroed at 36 fine, went out to 120 and was shooting an inch. inch and a quater high...same shooting position etc. at 140 it was still high and seemed to be dropping quite slowly.

thought it may have been me and my shooting technique and more practice would even it out but so far i get the same results with all my hornady 17's. my next step will be to try winchester 17's and see if there is any difference.

atb