Mackerel.

Cranfield

Anyone hearing of any mackerel being caught from the beaches in their area ?

A few are being caught from boats out of Folkestone and apparently, some from the walls at Brighton Marina (few and far between).

Rumours also of some from Samphire Ho (near Dover), on single lures meant for bass.

too early for here yet.

Last year, they were nearly jumping ashore :good: , caught bucket loads.

For some reason, they were in big numbers last summer. Hope its the same this summer.

They usually start getting cought on rod in around july august.

Edited by Frank

i run a fishing tackle shop in southend essex ,the big female garfish are being caught on southend pier (whats left of it) so the next set of big tides should bring some mackeral in, also some decent bass are being caught with lots of thornbacks being caught from the boats also off laysdown beaches on hering squid and sandeel, the crabs are just starting to moult so it wont be long for the summer season to be in full swing.

AHA!! I now no why we didnt have our usual amount further up frank!! U were catching them all! :blush:

Seriously though they came very late in small numbers and were very small compared to usual last year.

Ozo

Whitebridges, have a good day out, I envy you.

Unfortunately, I am convalescing after back surgery, so a spell out with a beachcaster (or anything else), is out of the question at the moment.

I should be able to drive by mid June and hopefully the mackerel will still be around then. :good:

too early for here yet.

Last year, they were nearly jumping ashore :huh: , caught bucket loads.

For some reason, they were in big numbers last summer. Hope its the same this summer.

They usually start getting cought on rod in around july august.

I was thinking that too Frank, or I'd have had the currach out the last couple of days :good: The sea was thick with them last year, we'd a few great days. Even gutting them and watching the seagulls scrapping over the guts was fun on the way home. A very enjoyable way to spend a day I must admit. I got 7 on 6 hooks last summer, then my sister got 8 on the same... Typical woman :lol::)

John

Sounds good John. :lol:

Let me know when they come in. ???

Unfortunately, I am convalescing after back surgery, so a spell out with a beachcaster (or anything else), is out of the question at the moment.

I should be able to drive by mid June and hopefully the mackerel will still be around then. :good:

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery Cranfield. We had a really nice day. Weather was superb. We had lots of bass to 4lb and 7 smoothounds to five pounds. Here's a pic of my boat partner with a small pup.

nickhound06.jpg

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery Cranfield. We had a really nice day. Weather was superb. We had lots of bass to 4lb and 7 smoothounds to five pounds. Here's a pic of my boat partner with a small pup.

nickhound06.jpg

That looks like a gorgouse day. :D

I love the sea when its calm like that, less likely hood of me chucking me guts up :lol::D .

Great photo too. :good:

i remember 20 odd years ago my mates went to lyme regis fishing for mackerel and they caught 500 of them sold a lot on the beach, got the rest home must have had every cat for miles around in his garden, so he dug a hole and got rid of them.

wb, glad you had a good day.

granfield, get well soon

Nice pics

Never that calm here in the north :good: The Fishing can be very good though but i suffer from motion sickness but i never quit fishing. (stubborn Geordie) :lol:

I am still on the look out for a second boat to go sea fishing from i have clapped my eyes on a few recently and missed a Morbass open day boat that went for a song :D

Just have to keep looking :good:

LG