Cheek Bruising

Fountain

Hi All

We'll i've shot about 500 at clays so far, 40/50 bird sporting etc (started in april).

The trouble is since I started im getting a sore cheek. The first time I had a visible bruise etc, but after that and trying to consiously pull the gun into my shoulder/planting cheek on stock etc im still getting a slight tenderness for the next few days. I'm sure my mount is pretty good and that im not lifting off the stock so i'm really after advice on what to do next?

Should I carry on and see if it is down to my gun mount or get my mount and gun fit checked/Altered.

If its the later, are there any recommended fitters in my area (West Norfolk). I quite like the idea of using a pattern plate too but i've never quite understood how you properly use one? Maybe all the years ive shot air rifles has effected me. I tend to pre-mount the shotgun and ensure that the rib is in line with my eye/adjust my head height so that i have a slight amount of rib visible (Pound coin trick). I assume that when a gun is correctly fitting it should naturally mount to your eye in this position, but im just worried i may have now memorised the mount in the correct possition even though the stock is wrong/bruising my cheek?

Thanks

Hi All

We'll i've shot about 500 at clays so far, 40/50 bird sporting etc (started in april).

The trouble is since I started im getting a sore cheek. The first time I had a visible bruise etc, but after that and trying to consiously pull the gun into my shoulder/planting cheek on stock etc im still getting a slight tenderness for the next few days. I'm sure my mount is pretty good and that im not lifting off the stock so i'm really after advice on what to do next?

Go for a lesson with a good coach......

Edited by HDAV

Hi All

Should I carry on and see if it is down to my gun mount or get my mount and gun fit checked/Altered.

If its the later, are there any recommended fitters in my area (West Norfolk). I quite like the idea of using a pattern plate too but i've never quite understood how you properly use one? Maybe all the years ive shot air rifles has effected me. I tend to pre-mount the shotgun and ensure that the rib is in line with my eye/adjust my head height so that i have a slight amount of rib visible (Pound coin trick). I assume that when a gun is correctly fitting it should naturally mount to your eye in this position, but im just worried i may have now memorised the mount in the correct possition even though the stock is wrong/bruising my cheek?

Thanks

Hi thanks for replies

Gun is a 686E and cartridges are CompX 28 7.5 or Rio ones. I noticed at sandringham when i had to use fibre wads it seemed to recoil harder hence bruised me more.

Hi buddy from west norfolk myself,i have gone to woods of swaffham and wittlesy gun shop who will make any alterations woods will certainly check it for free,also a coach will check gunfit as well as give you a lesson both will help thats for sure

Cheek bruising is usually because the cheek bone is in contact with the comb.

This is more likely to come about as a result of a poor mount, than a poor gun fit.

If a gun is fitted, but mounted incorrectly, it will still have problems such as cheek bruising.

BEFORE you consider changes to the gun, seek advise from a competent coach on your stance and mount.

A study by the Institute of Clay Shooting Instructors came to the conclusion that in by far the majority of cases little or nothing needed to be done to the average gun on the average shooter - almost all problems were how the shooter was using the gun.

A little tweeking of stock length or comb height can be done on the spot by a coach, if needed, together with ensuring the shooter accepts the gun to their body ( not put it in the shoulder then drop the head bringing the cheek bone in contact etc) and that they are placing the butt in the correct part of the shoulder ( the shoulder pocket not the shoulder bone), and that the placement is high enough ( many put the butt rather low and drop the head to the comb - if you are in correct stance the head should not drop as the gun engages face and shoulder, this is what gun fit is - the gun fits YOUR body, not you are wrapping yourself around the gun).

In the gun shop a good fitter will move you all about and get the gun into a perfect mount. He will tweek it if needed in dimensions - but if you then go to your shoot and don't mount and use the gun as he fitted it to your body, it will still cause all the problems you are encountering.

Go get a good lesson - almost certainly all your problems will be sorted just by correcting your stance and mount.

If you are going to the Midland Game Fair this weekend - see me on my stand or go to the Institute of Clay Instructors for free advice - bring your gun ( and anyone else who wants a free gun fit assessment!

Thanks All

Clayman, I think this is the approach i'll take then. I'll have my mount stance etc checked and make sure before anything else i've actually got that sorted.

As you say I kind of am mounting in the incorrect way. Im putting stock into my shoulder then getting my face placed on the stock so that my eye aligns with the rib in the way I think it has to line up. I did seem to have some improvement when I kept my right elbow raised 90 degree to my body rather than it drooping down.

Annoyingly I didnt realise about the gamefair this weekend so its unlikely ill be able to attend due to the boss/wife wanting to go somewhere else.

Thanks again for your help.

This advice is on another post by me re cast and patterning - but the test applies to you too

One test of your quality of mount is to mount from gun down with your eyes shut - then open your eyes with the gun in place.

If you have mounted correctly with a gun that fits, your shooting eye SHOULD be already directly sighting down the rib and about 3mm high at the back of the action, ie in line and slightly high of the rib so you can see the barrel length and aim with the view of the rib in your lower periphary vision - not level with the action so you only see the bead and aim through it.

If this simple test shows your shooting eye is to the left of the rib at the action, the gun will shoot left, and you need to square up your footwork more, raise the elbow, and get the gun tighter into your shoulder into what is known as the shoulder pocket. The head / nose line should be near straight and not canted over to try to get the eye in line, as the comb should be under the cheek bone, not on it. Low mounts with dropped heads often cause the comb to be pushed out to the right slightly, leaving the shooting eye to the left of the action. Ensure in the mounting process that the gun simply slots in one smooth motion simultaneously into both the shoulder pocket and the cheek pocket at the same time without an additional movement of the head to try to correct the eye off line.