lamping rabbits

bothbarrels

I recentely went out lamping with a chap I met through Pigeon watch. He has a ton of land on which to shoot a lovely gun and a newish 4x4, everything you could want really..

We set off around 10.30 at night, to start with he shot and I lamped, he was using a rimfire, wich was dead accurate, and made a clean kill every time, but to my horror and disgust, he simply left the rabbits where they were shot and wasn't the least bit interested in picking them up. I then took my turn, whilst he drove and lamped, and he was most disgruntled because I insisted on retrieving everything I'd bagged. needless to say I won't be going out with him again, I recon the least you can do for your quarry, is have the decency to either eat it or give it to someone who will. What do you recon, is he in his rights to do this or a **** like I think?

BB

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago I recall meeting the farmer on whos land the majority of my rabbit shooting exists.

"Shoot the rabbits, do ne shoot me beasts"

"Shoot the rabbits, do ne shoot me sheep"

"Pick up what ye can use; leave the rest"

"The crows will eat the rabbits............ shoot the crows"

"The foxes will eat the rabbits............ Shoot the foxes"

"Do ne shoot me beasts, do ne shoot me sheep"

I agree that it is good to utilise as much as possible, but there are limits as to what the game dealer / butcher can or will take, or you can use yourself. Its important to establish what the landowners wishes are.

On land where game is reared for shooting, a number of dead rabbits around the estate will provide diversionary feeding and reduce the keepers losses.

Dead bunnies all over the shop doesn't look good at first, but nature is quick to recycle.

Its a pity that you've decided to sevre your contact with the chap who was happy to take you shooting; maybe it would have been better to go with the flow. I've shot with a number of PW members over the years, always enjoyed their company and hospitality, and been happy to comply with their wishes.

webber

as others have said, its his permission, if the landowner wasent happy, he wouldent be shooting it,

at a PW'members permission that I get invited too, its easy to shoot 60 rabbits a night, we mostly pick them up and use them, but on occassions we have left them where they lay, the farmer dont mind as he see's a good job is being done,

I recentely went out lamping with a chap I met through Pigeon watch. He has a ton of land on which to shoot a lovely gun and a newish 4x4, everything you could want really..

We set off around 10.30 at night, to start with he shot and I lamped, he was using a rimfire, wich was dead accurate, and made a clean kill every time, but to my horror and disgust, he simply left the rabbits where they were shot and wasn't the least bit interested in picking them up. I then took my turn, whilst he drove and lamped, and he was most disgruntled because I insisted on retrieving everything I'd bagged. needless to say I won't be going out with him again, I recon the least you can do for your quarry, is have the decency to either eat it or give it to someone who will. What do you recon, is he in his rights to do this or a **** like I think?

BB

Well i agree with you mate :good: yes land owners want rid but the least you should do is remove them :good: i give a lot away to people and eat them :good:and also put them round Farm shops :good: he is probabley too lazy to clean them :hmm: leaving dead animals all over the place does not present the sport very well i have come across piles of dead pigeons in hedge rows dead Hares and Foxes god Knows what walkers and land owners thing also antis :/ : Folk like him probabley leave piles of used cartridges about as well. :oops:

I cannot think of a single good reason to leave them all behind. Personally i feel it gives us all a bad name and fuels the anti. If it were me i wouldn't have not shot just spent the evening picking up, there is always a market for rabbits if you look. It sickens me too, life is too short to associate with such people - shame on you whoever you are :angry:

I cannot think of a single good reason to leave them all behind.

1. it's pest control - we don't head shoot, it's about getting the job done

2. it really would take too long to pick them up - we would be forever in and out of the truck. Say you shoot 120 rabbits in a night and it takes just 1 single minute to stop the truck, locate, jump down, collect and retrieve. That's 2 hours. It's pest control, not a poetic strole through the countryside. Moreover, the farmer would think I was crackers - aside from everything else I couldn't stand an evening of **** taking.

3. most have mixy - why would I want to collect a rabbit with mixy?

I don't pick foxes up either. Mind you, I am still dedicating my fox shooting to Morrisey, but I'm happy to post anyone a dead fox if that floats your boat.

EDIT:

Rabbits with mixey shoulld be incenerated......otherwise your just putting it back into the soil..... :blink:

Believe it or not, the farmers actually like mixy :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it was a man made virus but I recal reading somewhere it was deliberately released here and in Australia to knock out the bunnies.

Edited by Mungler

1. it's pest control - we don't head shoot, it's about getting the job done

2. it really would take too long to pick them up - we would be forever in and out of the truck. Say you shoot 120 rabbits in a night and it takes just 1 single minute to stop the truck, locate, jump down, collect and retrieve. That's 2 hours. It's pest control, not a poetic strole through the countryside. Moreover, the farmer would think I was crackers - aside from everything else I couldn't stand an evening of **** taking.

3. most have mixy - why would I want to collect a rabbit with mixy?

I don't pick foxes up either. Mind you, I am still dedicating my fox shooting to Morrisey, but I'm happy to post anyone a dead fox if that floats your boat.

EDIT:

Believe it or not, the farmers actually like mixy :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it was a man made virus but I recal reading somewhere it was deliberately released here and in Australia to knock out the bunnies.

Originally, myxomatosis was imported from Brazil (where it was first discovered in the 1930's) to Australia in 1950. This was to control the massive populations of rabbits that sub-continent. In Brazil, the Cotton Tailed rabbit (Sylvilagus) is affected by the disease to a minor degree as only tiny lumps are produced by this self limiting disease. However, in Australia the disease was devastating and markedly reduced the rabbit population.

Just found this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How did the disease get to Britain?

The disease was transmitted from Australia by a French Physician, Dr A Delille, who wished to control the rabbit population on his country estate near Paris. The disease rapidly spread into the wild population in France and then was brought, entirely by accident, from France in 1953. There is no evidence that the disease was intentionally brought into Britain but there is no doubt that some farmers moved the disease around using diseased rabbits to control the population of the rabbits locally.

BB

Did you ever wonder why he has so much land ?

Bet you wont :lol:

Edited by magman