lamping rabbits

bothbarrels

They could be done for trespassing ;) They might see a few near the path, but they'll do well to see a field full of them unless they're inspecting the whole thing.

Oddly enough, walkers tend to fail to spot two pigeons stuck in a 10mph spin, attached to a green metal device. So I'm sure a couple of dead rabbits will go unnoticed.

They'd realize straight away that it was pest control and continue on their way whithout batting an eyelid :good:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would see that much rabbit shooting as a oppernity call me tight but I would see it as leaving £1 coins lying around. as it happens I only shoot small numbers but if i were forunate enough to shoot 100+ bunnys a month I would be well happy, £1,200 a year of bunny at the butcher theres got to be £600-£800 of money at £11 a bunny to be had ! if you can afford to put the time in. Just think what that could pay for.....new guns, new shooting equipment , a months mortgage payment and good slice to a holiday etc !

But on the flip side of it if it was a numbers game and soley that then I completly understand

the leaving the bunnys shot !

Shame hostels for the homeless etc wont take them for free or collect them ! :good:

Personally I would see that much rabbit shooting as a oppernity call me tight but I would see it as leaving £1 coins lying around. as it happens I only shoot small numbers but if i were forunate enough to shoot 100+ bunnys a month I would be well happy, £1,200 a year of bunny at the butcher theres got to be £600-£800 of money at £11 a bunny to be had ! if you can afford to put the time in. Just think what that could pay for.....new guns, new shooting equipment , a months mortgage payment and good slice to a holiday etc !

But on the flip side of it if it was a numbers game and soley that then I completly understand

the leaving the bunnys shot !

Shame hostels for the homeless etc wont take them for free or collect them ! :good:

£11 a bunny! I will stick to eating lobster because it's cheaper :lol:

Out of interest, what's the going rate for a headshot bunny in its fur (no skinning or paunching)?

As for the public finding fields littered with dead rabbits :rolleyes::lol:

I shoot over say 750 acres and can do 100 a night, the average is 1 dead rabbit for 7.5 acres; factor in the majority of rabbits getting shot in the field and margins (not on paths) then it's not ever going to be a problem is it?

as it happens I only shoot small numbers but if i were forunate enough to shoot 100+ bunnys a month I would be well happy, £1,200 a year of bunny at the butcher theres got to be £600-£800 of money at £11 a bunny to be had !

If you shoot small numbers, you'll find it easy to shift them. Butchers will take 10-20-30 off you, but if it's nearer the top end of those numbers, they'll say they're good for the next 6 months.

So once you've filled up all the butchers in the local area, you'll have to crack onto the restaurants. They'll have 5-10 a week off you (per restaurant), maybe more, but they'll not take them in the fur. So you're going to have to skin all the bunnies you're shooting and shift all the waste (dump that in a field, I think not, there are shooting standards to adhere to!)

Once you've saturated all the local restaurants, head down to the game dealer who'll give you next to nothing, especially if you're trying to give him hundreds and hundreds a week.

Oh and I take it you have the specific licences/premises to sell these rabbits en masse?! The tax man would start knocking soon, especially when you've got all these restaurants issuing you invoices.

All in all, if you could keep this operation going you'd need to quit your job.

Edited by Billy.

just to contradict myself, i can understand BB's concern, i don't shoot that many but i shift about 50-60%, the lord of the manor doesnt want his dogs bringing them back in the house so even the ones that i leave get put in the hedge out of the way until the foxes come out to play, the diseased, undersized, get put on the bonfire if i'm close enough to it, i'm not walking all the way back from the woods thru 2 fields, 2 gates carrying gun, lamp, and carcasses.

I shoot bunnies and leave them where they land more often than not. I have friends who take some and when they want a few I will quite happily provide them but the local butcher doesn't want to know and there's no local game dealer that I know of.

I could pick them all up and clean them out, bag them up so the flies can't get to them, put them in the truck and drive them to the other side of the county and sell them for the cost of my diesel. I'd have to take time out of paid work to do that so I'd be doing it at a loss. Sorry, but that's not what I do. It's a shame to waste them yes, but sometimes it's just not possible to find a home for them.

I must admit I have not read all the replies but heres my view

I think your original post is perhaps based on lack of understanding and a great lack communication with the other lad. Did you speak to him to find out why he leaves the rabbits? Did you try to understand why this was or did you just bump your gums and then slag him off on a public forum,

I shoot upwards of around 650 rabbits a year I take what I need and can use an leave the rest where they fall for mother nature to take care of. When shooting large numbers for pest control its just not possible to find a good home for all of them no matter how hard you try. The advice BASC and others would give (and I know because I have talked to them) is its perfectly ok to do this the worst you can do is pick them up and then make a pile of them. A dead rabbit is a common sight on a farm and causes no offence and very quickly disappears as it will form a meal for something or return to the land. If you went round a week later you would not find many at all! We cant eat them all or can get them to a game dealer…………..

My prediction is once you get over this event and gain some experience your opinion will change, and perhaps at that point you may like to apologise to the lad in question for your lack of understanding

I've been shooting & ferreting since I was ten yrs old I am now 53. I was taught from a young age to respect my quarry, be it fur or feather, & if I have the good fortune to shoot something either eat it,sell it or give it to someone who does.Back in the day people were glad of such food suppliment, that train of thought has stayed with me.

I also work on a country estate where part of my job IS pest control, so in answer to your 'gain some more experience' I think I've got the t-shirt on that one.

the undelying factor is it seems after reading all you guys postings is the numbers, and I fully understand that bagging 60-80 rabbits a night maybe twice three times a week would cause a logistical problem, I hold my hands up to that one, I know where you are coming from, and to be honest I didn't realise such bags were regularily being had on a regular basis, and yes if I were to shoot as many as is being professed then, I would have trouble getting shot of them 'my way'.

As for the lack of communication, I did ask why he left the rabbits where they lay, and the answer was, "the missus doesn't like me gutting them at home",not good enuff in my book.

I came on this site to share my permissions with likeminded others in return, maybe shooting somewhere different and making good mates along the way (which incidentley I have) I make no apologies for my initial post, apart from the name calling, a better choice of words on hindsite would have been more appropriate-lesson learn't.

BB

I do agree that leaving them doesn't do the sports image much good at all. Who wants to see dead rabbits littered about.

But on the same token it's not really cricket posting a complaint about him on a public forum. Sorry but doesn't seem right IMO he was decent enough to take someone out. Bet he prob won't again now. So stuffs it up for others really.

Sorry just my opinion.

A thought for you , a friend and i can go out 5 nights a week and shoot 100-150 a night :yes:

If we were to stop to collect them all and gut we would be down to at least 80 a night :yes:

Yes its a big estate and numbers need controlling , just to help keep the late night visitors away as they come with other problems .

If you have a few hundred acres you may be able to collect what you shoot and move on , but when your dealing with thousands of acres you may have a slight problem :lol:

On a totally different note have you ever tried picking a rabbit up after being shot with a 243 :yp:

Mungler and Apache...couldn't agree more, I shoot and pick up as much as I can eat, give to family etc BUT the main reason I shoot is to protect my families crops and farmland from a right royal furry hammering!!!

As for game dealers, butchers and the like...I'm sorry but in a very rural area with a lot of shooters and keepers the game dealers and butchers and full up to bursting most of the time.

In addition when we have drilled new crop I lamp at night by foot so picking up more than a few is not an option.

I appreciate everyones different views and each to their own, but for some of us rabbit control is the priority

I've been shooting & ferreting since I was ten yrs old I am now 53. I was taught from a young age to respect my quarry, be it fur or feather, & if I have the good fortune to shoot something either eat it,sell it or give it to someone who does.Back in the day people were glad of such food suppliment, that train of thought has stayed with me.

I also work on a country estate where part of my job IS pest control, so in answer to your 'gain some more experience' I think I've got the t-shirt on that one.

the undelying factor is it seems after reading all you guys postings is the numbers, and I fully understand that bagging 60-80 rabbits a night maybe twice three times a week would cause a logistical problem, I hold my hands up to that one, I know where you are coming from, and to be honest I didn't realise such bags were regularily being had on a regular basis, and yes if I were to shoot as many as is being professed then, I would have trouble getting shot of them 'my way'.

As for the lack of communication, I did ask why he left the rabbits where they lay, and the answer was, "the missus doesn't like me gutting them at home",not good enuff in my book.

I came on this site to share my permissions with likeminded others in return, maybe shooting somewhere different and making good mates along the way (which incidentley I have) I make no apologies for my initial post, apart from the name calling, a better choice of words on hindsite would have been more appropriate-lesson learn't.

BB

Well i cant be bothered reading the diatribe from those who havent the respect to even pick up what they shoot. But agree with you sentiments, like i stated earlier i would never have shot that night just picked up OR left for home. A few years ago i met a full time Rabbit controler he made his living shooting them in great numbers and was paid to do it. The rabbits he carried off actually made him more money than the contracts and his mrs is said to be legendary in how quick she can dress one and wrap it up in a polystirene tray all jointed. All the rabbits went for export. If you have to shoot such numbers you feel you must leave them to rot consider the cash your leaving behind

You really don't want to come lamping with me then. I think its strange when swiss tony want to pick them up for a photo. I'd rather just leave them were they fall. We only ever pick them if tony wants to. I shot 3 foxes at the weekend what do you suggest I do with them. I usually throw them in the canal. Out of the hundreds of rabbits possibly even thousands I have shot this year I have give away the grand total of 2. Oven ready aswell. Nobody wants them were I live. Tell you what I do do. In summer when the flies are around I hang the rabbits up in the woods. The birds love the maggots

Well i cant be bothered reading the diatribe from those who havent the respect to even pick up what they shoot.

Respect means killing it humanely, at a distance and with a weapon that minimises errors and suffering.

A dead rabbit is a low value product or a waste product depending on the situation. It is not a fallen soldier. It does not require "respect".

Just started shooting a new permission . I have had 25 rabbits over 3 nights now . Have filled my freezer so got to give em away if i can and family will have them also. Shame cannot recycle good game meat .I used to be a keeper and would kill 80-100 rabbits a night , we had a game dealer as an outlet for the rabbits frozen or fresh . Why cant your chap do this too ? would pay for cartridges if nothing else .

Why cant your chap do this too ? would pay for cartridges if nothing else .

There's a limit to what you can shift. Supply and demand, you know.

As people have said, dealers are choc-a-block with rabbits and I bet you anything they'll not start taking rabbits if it'll intrude into their game larders.

If you want to go and do a load of money driving round finding out who wants to buy rabbits, then you'll probably find a few places, but they'll not have endlessly deep pockets to pay out £100+ a day if they've not got any guaranteed demand.

One thing I have learnt, often at some personal cost, is not to complain about anything when out shooting, either by invitation or when paying.

We are all sensitive souls and we each have our different ways.

You may well prefer to use rabbits you have shot, for others its not practical or expected.

Webbers correct, keep your own counsel and do as you are asked when in the company of others or as owners request. If you find the practice too unpleasant - give an excuse and stick to your way but never, never, slag anyone off just because they have a different way.

Who is to say there is only one way and its yours ??? Not me.

I used to be a keeper and would kill 80-100 rabbits a night , we had a game dealer as an outlet for the rabbits frozen or fresh . Why cant your chap do this too ? would pay for cartridges if nothing else .

Yes I could take them to the game dealer but:

1. it's a 40 mile round trip and would cost me ~£10 in diesel

2. I would shoot less rabbits as the gamedealer wants them gutted (so we go from 100 shot to 75 shot)

3. if it's a bunny I shoot it, whatever the age - they are in plague numbers here - kill them and more move in from the moor. The small baby bunnies are worth nothing so we probably have 50 sellable bunnies

4. Because I don't sell them I frequently chest shoot them - no good for sale - so we are down to 30 bunnies head shot and sellable.

5. the game dealer is only open when I am at work, so I would have to take a morning off. I only get 20 days holiday so that is 1/40th of my yearly holiday to sell bunnies, I go out a couple of times a week on average. I haven't got enough days off if I used them for nothing but selling dead bunnies.

For a gain of +£20 I'm not going to give up half a days holiday. I'd rather go and kill some pests. Over the acreage I shoot they are not 3 foot deep, I shoot over a couple of thousand acres.