lamping rabbits

bothbarrels

They get left here they lay up here, and we could easily click over 100 in a night....

If we need some for ferrets or table then we'll pick some but most of it is to reduce the Swiss cheese effect on most of the field edges and margins or making sure plantations are allowed to grow.

In fairness in one field the other day we saw 8 buzzards...

...so at least the rabbit carcases keep some of the buzzards off the poults...

The romantic idea of picking up 100 rabbits and walking round the houses handing them out would probably get you arrested when little Suzy see's you at the door asking if you can speak to her dad with flopsy and topsy the rabbit hanging dead from the bailer twine in your hand, also I challenge anyone to find a zoo, park or butcher that will take them.

Rabbit holes are a major pain for both the equine and bovine elements and a risk farmers don't want.

Regards

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually kids don't always react like you'd expect! Once I was shooting at my aunt's holiday home which is near where I lived, I shot a rabbit and one of the people on holiday came out for a chat. Can't remember the conversation now but they invited me in for a coffee or whatever, so i said did they want the rabbit for the pot. Answer was in the affirmative so rabbit got brought in. Little girl was there just stroking it. Very surreal...

Did anyone see this article in the paper the other day. A company are starting to make rabbit ready meals ?which will be available in Waitrose from November. But they are using French farmed rabbit for them!Metro rabbits 1.pdf

Metro rabbits 2.pdfPage 2

How the hell do they know how to work a microwave :unsure:

Seems mad Waitrose is sourcing foreign meat when Sainsbury's sells wild British pheasant, rabbit, venison, partridge and pigeon. :rolleyes:

I personally pick up everything I shoot and ferret, but I simply don't get the chance to kill big numbers so the time taken to prep. the rabbits when I'm getting £2.50 each from a shop a mile down the road is worth it for me. :good: I'm sure if I was rolling 3 figure bags everytime I went out it would be a different matter. However, I can't keep up with demand for rabbits at the moment sadly.

However, I have been up to the early hours of the following morning after red letter days on pigeon preparing them. :yes: Shooting a big bag on stubble which the birds aren't damaging and then just chucking them in a hedge doesn't sit well with me after I turned up to shoot a field and found dead birds dumped when I would have had a market for every single one of them. <_<

FM

Seems mad Waitrose is sourcing foreign meat when Sainsbury's sells wild British pheasant, rabbit, venison, partridge and pigeon. :rolleyes:

I personally pick up everything I shoot and ferret, but I simply don't get the chance to kill big numbers so the time taken to prep. the rabbits when I'm getting £2.50 each from a shop a mile down the road is worth it for me. :good: I'm sure if I was rolling 3 figure bags everytime I went out it would be a different matter. However, I can't keep up with demand for rabbits at the moment sadly.

However, I have been up to the early hours of the following morning after red letter days on pigeon preparing them. :yes: Shooting a big bag on stubble which the birds aren't damaging and then just chucking them in a hedge doesn't sit well with me after I turned up to shoot a field and found dead birds dumped when I would have had a market for every single one of them. <_<

FM

My kinda sportsman!

BB. :good:

11 Pages wow !!.

POINT 1: WE ALL shoot because we love it if we didn't we wouldn't be going out. There are those that do it because it's there full time job but I would still challenge those if they were to try and tell me they actually hated it.

POINT 2: It would seem to me that the people who are against leaving bunnys/pigeons etc just don't have enough and/or shoot enough for the sheer volume you can end up with to become a problem. There's at least 1 person replied on this thread that I have been out pigeon shooting with who didn't have a good day and I was sooo happy that he took all the ones I had killed because I just wouldn't have been able to shift or use them my freezers are constantly full and the outlets I have can only take so many.

POINT 3:I have acquired land on which to shoot over based purely on the fact that the existing shooters just aint doing there job because they predominently shoot for the pot and don't appear to be having any impact at all on the pest species. (I know I'll probably get flamed for this point but hey ho).

Once again 11 pages wow!!.

Mike...

11 Pages wow !!.

POINT 1: WE ALL shoot because we love it if we didn't we wouldn't be going out. There are those that do it because it's there full time job but I would still challenge those if they were to try and tell me they actually hated it.

POINT 2: It would seem to me that the people who are against leaving bunnys/pigeons etc just don't have enough and/or shoot enough for the sheer volume you can end up with to become a problem. There's at least 1 person replied on this thread that I have been out pigeon shooting with who didn't have a good day and I was sooo happy that he took all the ones I had killed because I just wouldn't have been able to shift or use them my freezers are constantly full and the outlets I have can only take so many.

POINT 3:I have acquired land on which to shoot over based purely on the fact that the existing shooters just aint doing there job because they predominently shoot for the pot and don't appear to be having any impact at all on the pest species. (I know I'll probably get flamed for this point but hey ho).

Once again 11 pages wow!!.

Mike...

I know 11 pages!!!!!!!!!! do I get an award for that??? :lol:

BB :good: