Does your wife hate shooting ?

Durham-laddie

just reading through all those replies, my missus Is a one off then, she's a yorkshire lass, dad was a farmer etc, now she puts up with me (southern softy) as she puts it, we both enjoy blatting around on motorbikes, and she's 100% with my shooting, she dont come out with me on the pigeons, but has no problem with anything that comes back through the house, and she loves lamping, I drive and shoot, she fetches the rabbits, quite happy with the gutting,skinning etc, and making the rabbit stews,pigeon pie etc, Im a full time pestie, and she's quite happy to come on a few of those jobs too, plus she has a hatred for foxes, oh, and she dont spit either, :D

my wife does not hate shooting, she just does not like me out 3/4 times a week, so i have to keep the cookie jar full to overflowing from time to time when i'm out shooting,

buying things like a new £200.000 house and a new car at Christmas seems to have helped ?? but im not shooting as much, i will have to see what i get for my birthday this month and take it from there, if its a load of pants then i will have to let the jar empty a bit more :)

bob.

Edited by scotland rifles

My mrs is a star bless her ! Shes veggi and doesnt like anything being hurt so for me the situation is.

We met and he dad clay shoots and my dad shoots clays rough and game ! So when i said i shot also that was fine. 6 months later and she had a cert herself and we went to gether and bought a Berretta sliver pigeon each in 28" MC, Hers a 20g and mine a 12g and we both clay shot together but she was getting hurt by the 20g with 24g so solid it (regretted that ever since as it was stunning gun) :good: she then gave clays one last go with a 20g semi which was fine recoil wise but she was never comfortable with the action of the semi. With the sale of the semi she decided it wasnt for her.

Then we moved in together and a cabinet went straight in and i kept my berretta, I then put in my fac for .17HMR and .22lr and had both. She has shot both and as it turns out shes a very good shot :good:

So now if she fancys ago at clays she uses 21g in my beretta or comes zeroing the rifle with me and we stick some targets out and have a little comp between us ! she always wins with the rifle :blush::good:

So with her not liking the hunting part she comes along to clay shoots and buttons and marks the cards and then when i go out hunting she stays at home! I have my "meat freezer" for dead bunnys in the shed and dont bring dead things in the house and she completely respects that and i respect her feelings.

Then last chrismas we got engaged, I bought her a ring and she bought me ........ A mossburg 20g pump action in matt black and MC ! :D:good: B) Cant knock that.

Shes also very good at HFT but just hasnt got any big desire to take it up ! :(

Am sure she wishes i the time i spent shooting was spent with her insted but she lets me go and i appreciate it !

I havent shot as much this year but really need to pick it back up again and get back into the swing of it as i find it very enjoyable a great de-stress from work ! :good:

My missus is very anti, also a veggie & Animal rights looney, but sshe's not daft. She accepts that I am a meat eater & is "happier" for want of a better word with me shooting for the pot, rather than buying cheap meat from Tesco's.

The only rule is no fur or feather in the house, by the time it reaches the back door it must be just "meat". Fair enough - My mate rears free range Pigs & sheep, so any surplus gets swapped with him.

Edited by PLH1966

My Ex wasn't too happy when we first got together and she found I liked shooting (only targets/clays). Over the years she had a few goes at it but decided it wasn't for her. Wasn't really happy about me keeping guns in the house (especially after we started a family) but as long as I cleaned them etc. when she wasn't about and they were locked out of sight it worked for us both.

However ..... skip forward a few years into the marriage and now with 2 toddlers on the go I started working away during the week (in Sunny Blackpool), rang her one Friday to say I had to stay over so wouldn't be home that weekend. Turned out I didn't need to stay so set off home about 1am, got home, managed to get past the dog and cat without them waking everyone and got into bed, lay down and banged my head on something hard, light went on and what did I find under my pillow? ............... my 9mm Beretta 92F with a full mag, one in the chamber and the safety off!!. She explained that she always kept it there when I was away in case we got burgled! :( could have been worse .... she was going to use the S&W 44mag but "the Beretta has more bullets in it" :(

Needless to say a conversation ensued and I made sure she didn't know where the keys were ever again.

Edited by phaedra1106

My missus is very good. She holds a SGC and is contemplating getting her FAC. She shoots clays but doesn't want to shoot animals, she has no desire to do so. She tolerates me going out shooting, but would rather I spent the time with her.

I do have respect for her and I wouldn't go fitting a gun cabinet and applying for a certificate without at the very least telling her. She may not know the exact details of my rifles, but she knows I'm on the look out for a .308 and may buy one at the Midland Game Fair.

Secretly I think she likes the fashion of shooting more than the shooting itself. She's a better natural shot than me but I shoot more and would say I'm now better. She's coming with me on the BASC Improve your Shooting day and bringing her 12G. It's nice that we can do it together.

My other half shoots rifle and shotgun with me. Targets for both, but she is not averse to shooting living things - she has shot rabbits with various rifles. The pigeon shooting did not go well - two easy birds appeared overhead, nice and easy. Can't remember what she said now, but there was sufficient time for me to take the 20-bore and have a go myself (I missed, I never could shoot that gun!).

Spend a lot of time shooting targets, and she's a good shot. Needs to learn more about rifle setup and long range work, but that's why I'm shelling out yet more money on a rifle for me, so she can keep shooting the one she knows (yes, I want a new toy :))

Can't say my misses is a fan of having guns in the house, thinks I'll shoot her one day if we have an argument. Doesn't understand that would stop me shooting!

She understands the need for pest control but being an animal lover doesn't agree with it, one day she'll come out for a bit with me but it's going to be a while yet I think. She gets annoyed when I come back and say how many deer and birds of prey I've seen this time!

Edited by timearp

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea, if my wife hates shooting or if she likes it? I have never asked her and she has never expressed an interest to me, besides that it has absolutely naff all to do with her.

KW

That's about the score round here too :P

She doesn't dictate to me what I get involved in and v.v.

She's not really interested, and has no strong feelings on it one way or the other.

Just as well really :lol:

I took my wife to a clay shoot a few years ago,she watched me shoot a couple of stands and said `is that all you do shoot those little black things`i tried to explain about different targets and disciplines.but all she said was `i cannot believe you spend all this time and money shooting little black things` and that she would rather watch paint dry.

bornfree

and got into bed, lay down and banged my head on something hard, light went on and what did I find under my pillow? ............... my 9mm Beretta 92F with a full mag, one in the chamber and the safety off!!. She explained that she always kept it there when I was away in case we got burgled! :( could have been worse .... she was going to use the S&W 44mag but "the Beretta has more bullets in it" :(

Bet your glad she didn't wake up while you were sneaking upstairs..... :oops:

Edited by Good shot?