'Bramble' brandy

Thunderbird

As Nick's email is a bit dodgy I was wondering if he might see this or anyone else has an idea of the recipe for the Bramble Brandy that came out in the demijohn at about midnight on the Cotswold do.

Seems the hedgerows are growing in abundance at the moment.

do the same as you would for sloes but change the fruit and the liquor. i have whiskey on the go as i like brandy as it is.haha.

Blackberry brandy is every bit as good as sloe gin imo but being a bit different a hip flask of it on a cold day doesn't last very long at all.

I have a recipe typed out of a sporting gun mag probably 10 years ago - it's served us very well ever since. I've stuck to the same recipe every year and never had reason to alter it. I'll get it up for you in the morning when I'm back at the computer.

I've been very disappointed with the blackberries around here this year - there literally are none about :-( despite there being bumper crops of other fruits. It looks like we'll have to make do with sloe gin and now rose hip vodka from Christmas on as the blackberry brandy supply is running dangerously low :-(

Here it is:

Blackberry brandy

2 lb blackberries

8 cloves

A pinch of Cinnamon

A pinch of nutmeg

8oz granulated sugar

10floz of brandy

Place the blackberries in a saucepan with half a pint of water and the spices. Simmer for 20 minutes, then leave to cool. Strain the fruit through muslin or a fine sieve, then measure the juice and add 8oz of sugar to one pint of liquid. Pour the liquid back into the saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool, then add brandy and put in bottles. The brandy is ready to drink straightaway, but its best to make it when the blackberries are on the hedgerows and keep it bottled until the shooting season.

Paul.

Edited by paul99

Cheers Paul, there are quite a few around here, many still unripe in fact. Going to make that one ASAP.

EDIT: poking around the web yours is one of the few recipes that calls for cooking the fruit, many just call for steeping it like you do with sloe gin.

Think I'll try both, I also found a recipe that suggests 50/50 vodka and blackberries. I suppose that's the nice think with this type of thing, you can adapt recipes to suit. Fun experimenting anyway.

Edited by Thunderbird

Cheers Paul, there are quite a few around here, many still unripe in fact. Going to make that one ASAP.

EDIT: poking around the web yours is one of the few recipes that calls for cooking the fruit, many just call for steeping it like you do with sloe gin.

Think I'll try both, I also found a recipe that suggests 50/50 vodka and blackberries. I suppose that's the nice think with this type of thing, you can adapt recipes to suit. Fun experimenting anyway.

Yep most recipies seem to suggest making it like sloe gin. The recipie above was the first one I came across - I read it in the shooting mag and that inspired me to make some I didn't stop to read up on other methods at the time and just followed it to the letter - it turned out to be a hit with all and so I've just repeated it each year as a result I've not tryed the more common method to just soak the fruit in the alcohol :blush:. From what I can gather though, from those who have tried both methods is that the cooking method apparently results in a much richer and intense blackberry flavour with the soaking method producing a much more subtle flavour. It'll be interesting to hear how they both turn out and which you think is the nicer of the two...

Edited by paul99

Here it is:

Blackberry brandy

2 lb blackberries

8 cloves

A pinch of Cinnamon

A pinch of nutmeg

8oz granulated sugar

10floz of brandy

Place the blackberries in a saucepan with half a pint of water and the spices. Simmer for 20 minutes, then leave to cool. Strain the fruit through muslin or a fine sieve, then measure the juice and add 8oz of sugar to one pint of liquid. Pour the liquid back into the saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool, then add brandy and put in bottles. The brandy is ready to drink straightaway, but its best to make it when the blackberries are on the hedgerows and keep it bottled until the shooting season.

Paul.

Damn, they are all finished round here now :cry1:

There were a few at the nature reserve I walk the dogs on, but I'd struggle to get up to the 2lbs required. I'll deffo use that recipe next year though - thanks, Paul for that :good:

One of the neighbours has provide some reliable information, of a bramble hedge weighed down with ripe berries. ;) Awesome....

So before the Gower chilli festival this Saturday, I'll be sneaking off early doors, too pick as much as available.

I'm going to experiment with the recipe, going half boiled fruit an half whole, see what happens.

Sainsbury's french brandy 1lt £14.00, anybody know of any cheaper??

Sort of went my own way on this one, reduced a sugar water solution with 500ml water and 150gms sugar with half a dozen cloves and pinches of the spices.

Reduced it to 350 and then mixed it with just over a pound of raw blackberries and topped up with brandy in a 1500 Kilner.

Looks and smells good already. :)

Sort of went my own way on this one, reduced a sugar water solution with 500ml water and 150gms sugar with half a dozen cloves and pinches of the spices.

Reduced it to 350 and then mixed it with just over a pound of raw blackberries and topped up with brandy in a 1500 Kilner.

Looks and smells good already. :)

Found a supply of berries so I'm a happy lad :D

I've reduced the same sugar solution and then added the berries to simmer for a few mins. Just waiting for it to cool and then I'll tip the lot in a kilner with the brandy and I'll leave it for a month or so.

I'm really looking forward to this one. The fruit is releasing the flavour so well. I am going to try the 'boil down' method too with my next lot.

I have to say that simmering the fruit first worked incredibly well. Personally I'd 'up' the brandy content a touch to bring the warmth through a bit or reduce the initial water content.

If I do it again I'll do it this way:

1lb berries

100-125g caster sugar

half tsp mixed spices

300ml water

half bottle brandy

Bring the sugar/water solution to the boil. Add berries and simmer for 10mins stirring often. Allow to cool and then add brandy. Pour everything into a kilner and store for a month. Drain & bottle.