A TIP ON GOOSE BREASTS

Pole Star

I was looking through an American site on goose shooting & found a tip on the cooking of goose breasts wich I thought was worth a try , well I have been trying for years too come up with a ways to make the bloody things edible ! , its not a problem if you have the taste buds of a magot or carrion crow & I think some people HAVE ! , but sorry but I haven't.

It simplicity in its self , just take the breasts of the goose carcase & the skin , then give it a bloody good bashing on your cutting board with a stake hammer till its flat .

Then give it a sprinkling of course salt & pepper & mariade it in worstershire sauce over night in the fridge , then fry or grill it to about medium ish or what you like & the taste of the bloody goose is transformed ! . Please note I have not tried this with an old black breasted Greylag yet , not too sure if I'm brave enough to risk my taste buds ! but as soon as I find the courage I will let you know . I think this method is well worth some experimenting with other marinades ect , its a bit like rabbits if you can get rid of the taste of em then half the battle is won ! . Pole Star :yes:

slow cooker and treat as if its beef for adding herbs. works out fantastic.

agreed :good:

the longer you cook it the better it gets , i tend to cook it the night before i intend to eat it . tried a steak pie last week but with goose breast even the child ate it with no complaints which is unusual for him .

A mate of mine will put his oven on early in the morning on a very low setting, put a prep'd canada goose on a trivet and leave it in for an age just ticking over......takes it out early afternoon and he reckons it's gorgeous. I haven't tried it this way but will do soon :good: (can use the drained fat for roasters too then) :yes:

• 1 month later...

Best thing t do with canadas is don't treat them like a pinkfoot. I your gonna use a stock use beef not chicken etc. better still redwine and garlic with resh corianda and red onion, maybee add some dark choc. Also makes a good chilli if you cut across the grain breast steaks then along the grain to create ribbons just less than 1cm wide.

I like pinks stufed with fruit Damsons left over from making damson Vodka are great, very aromatic. I you eat too much of anything you get fed up with it. Trick is cook it many different ways, give some away and do swaps for things you don't get so inundated with

I was looking through an American site on goose shooting & found a tip on the cooking of goose breasts wich I thought was worth a try , well I have been trying for years too come up with a ways to make the bloody things edible ! , its not a problem if you have the taste buds of a magot or carrion crow & I think some people HAVE ! , but sorry but I haven't.

It simplicity in its self , just take the breasts of the goose carcase & the skin , then give it a bloody good bashing on your cutting board with a stake hammer till its flat .

Then give it a sprinkling of course salt & pepper & mariade it in worstershire sauce over night in the fridge , then fry or grill it to about medium ish or what you like & the taste of the bloody goose is transformed ! . Please note I have not tried this with an old black breasted Greylag yet , not too sure if I'm brave enough to risk my taste buds ! but as soon as I find the courage I will let you know . I think this method is well worth some experimenting with other marinades ect , its a bit like rabbits if you can get rid of the taste of em then half the battle is won ! . Pole Star :yes:

try the recipe i put on here a couple of days ago,it tastes very similar to braised steak. the other thing i do with goose breasts and duck breasts is soak it in milk over night and it draws the blood out if its a bit shot and it also tenderises it a bit too.