.243 on a budget, is there such a thing?

Gnome of the Woods

Paul.. scope guntrader out for Parker Hale rifles in that calibre.

You won't find a better built more accurate rifle for similiar (and sometimes more!) money

Providing it hasn't been shot out (243 can run a bit warm) then something like this 1200 Super would be ideal - http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110326130109000

Here is what my £300 Parker hale in .308 does

post-2887-0-33668200-1316321527.jpg

Edited by garyb

It does seem the odd Parker Hale turns up as cheap as chips, they are ok, pal of mine has one .243 and it performs perfectly well enough for field use.

Accuracy/consistancy/reliability are the important issues, people get very anal about field accuracy, if we are totally honest does 0.5 inch, 1 inch or 1.5 inches really matter in the VAST majority of situations in the field with a .243? :hmm:

ATB!

What sort of budget?

You can buy Browning A-Bolt's or Howa 1500's for under £500. Stick a half decent second hand fixed 6 scope on it (should be able to find something for under £150), second hand Warne rings would be about £25 (I have some here if you're interested), shoot it unmoderated and that's a reasonably cheap package which includes a new rifle.

I bought a Sabatti .243 of a keeper mate of mine. He hadn't used it much as he favoured his 22.250. Paid £100 for it and another £60 for a half decent scope to keep me going to I get a better one. It isn't screw cut or moderated but as I only really do woodland stalking I still haven't needed a second shot.

Lovely rifle to shoot and plenty accurate with 100 grains.

So yes you can buy a .243 on a budget, you just need to find the right one at the right price.

.243 is a very popular calibre. I should think you could easily get something for £500 inc scope.

I'd look towards a CZ 550, maybe an old Parker Hale. To be honest the most important thing is barrel condition. Try to get it borescoped unless you're buying from a source you trust. .243 isn't all that barrel friendly - but then you could buy a used Blaser for £1k and it could just as easily be shot out as a £200 Parker Hale. If you can find a rifle that's been used just for stalking it doesn't matter if the gun is 20 years old. A year on the range will do much more damage to a barrel. :yes:

Can you put up some more details?

I might have a pop up

:shaun:

give me 10 mins

http://www.mitchellsantiques.co.uk/index.php/auction-services/sporting-goods/

http://www.mitchellsantiques.co.uk/index.php/view-catalogues/current-catalogue/?saleref=0321

the last link is the prices and lots in the last sale for refrence! some very very good cheap gear their

Edited by highseas

simple answer is get yourself onto guntrader and have a look, stuteleys have got a CZ with a churchill scope on for £195 but I'd want to get it bore scoped or at least an agreement it could go back if it won't shoot. The only issue with non screwcut ones is getting them cut as it does add to the cost. One things for sure round here you ideally do want a modded one.

its definitely buyer beware some sell them as they can't get them to shoot but it is a caliber people think they need something larger so bargains do crop up. Keep a look on here and the stalking directory and you may get lucky. Very cheap guns can effectively be scrap if they need rebarreling so definitley buy on condition and if possible history.

Is the Browning used? I ask because I just paid £450 for a new A-Bolt .223.

Will you be home loading or using factory? I don't think my 18" CZ .243 has sold yet and that's a very tidy rifle with low round count, screwcut etc. Only downer to it is I had it cut so I could use it from the truck - that's not everyones cup of tea with a .243 as you generally need to work a home load to make it run at Deer legal energy.

After looking about I have seen a couple of nearly new ones.

Howa stainless with rings and mod + bits for £500

Browing A bolt comp stalker with rings bit no mod £400

I have a bipod and can put my burris on top for the moment.

Any thoughts?

I paid £488 for my .243 A-Bolt brand new with 2 box mags, I'd pay the extra for a new .243 over £400 for second hand, quite happy to put second hand rings, bases and scope on it but there's no little surprises with a new rifle (none that aren't at least covered by a warranty anyway).