Impromptu Goat Stalk 17/9/11

Glensman

Went out to test some home loads on Sunday, load dev has been incredibly slow as I’m way too busy and anytime i’m free it seems to be stormy or Very wet.

Anyway, the load was Hornady SST 130gr over 53.5gr of H4350 and a Remmy BR Primer.

I tested the group at 205yards and was pretty happy with the 1.75” group and a slightly lower POI than the factory stuff.

I was left with 2 rounds that I didn’t bother firing. I decided to go the long way home and from about 1100yards spotted a herd of goats at the top of the mountain.

To cut a LONG and ARDUOUS story short I stalked up the mountain to the goats and was within 70 yards when I seen the first one.

I thought she was biggish so I waited to try to spot the others- after about 4 mins and no joy she started to walk away.

What happened next was the depressing but also the single coolest thing I have seen in my life. She took 3 rolls (dead already) and fell off the cliff. A 250yard free-fall. Hit the mountain side and then rolled for another 30seconds. Brown-White- Brown-White- Brown-White- Brown-White- Brown-White Stop.

I knew she was ruined and the other part of the herd had magically re-appeared at 140yards. I picked my shot and put the 130gr behind the ear.

CIMG1600.jpg

CIMG1601.jpg

CIMG1602.jpg

[CIMG1603.jpg

CIMG1604.jpg

CIMG1606.jpg

CIMG1605.jpg

The next day I went back to find the first one. Searched for ages but neither me my friend nor the dog could find her. I’ve never left an animal (even a fox) that I couldn’t find so I went back to where the shot was taken and could see I had been searching in the complete wrong place. It started to lash then so I guess she’s fox food now.

I’d love to have included pics of the cliffs and the group but neither were close-by when the camera was!!!

Surprised you didn't need a clothes peg, if they are anything like the goats in Fermanagh then they absolutely stink!

I don't find it as bad as others do!

That's the main reason I couldn't understand the dog not finding the first!.. I was way out!

@Ollie: Yes, the butchery and skinning was up to its usual high standards!!