ZERO PROBLEMS

BSA SPRINGER .177

i now have a permission and there are a few rabbits pheasants woodies etc, i brought a scope for my springer from drapers its a ags cobalt 3x9x40 they fitted it and zero'd for thirty yrds problem is i cant get a deffinate grouping its like the zero is off the guy at drapers wears glasses will that make a difference for some one that dont or is it just a case of practice practice practice PLZ HELP ALL INFO WELCOME :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Practice practice practice and even more practice springers are temperamental animals like to be held just right and can even be different points in different shooting positions.

also what are you calling a definite group and at what distance are you shooting at.

i'd say 1" at 30 yrds for a deffinate group but at the minute i'd be lucky to get 2" its as if for 3 shots on target you get four off target but the im only on my second tin off 500 pellets the gun is only 3 month old could thi all be down to breaking the gun in or does that not matter im just trying to make sure that when i shoot somthing its dead and not suffering BEST SHOT IS A SAFE SHOT ,

You'll always have to zero for your own eyes mate. If its new, the barrel will need bedding in. If your in Strelly your not far from Castle FTC. They have a range out on a Sunday and a pracrice course set up all the time. Theres some knowledgable lads down there too who will be able to offer you help and advice.

thanks for the advice peeps i am going to a gun clob at huthwaite on tuesday but in the meen time i have found that my zero at 30yrds isnt dead centre its a full mil dot down so when i go to the range i will re zero the scope to my eyes ive nearly finished 1000 pellets since buying the rifle so i hope it will be bedded in now so i get some even groups thanks again for the advice as this forum is a wealth of knowledge............ :good::good::good::good:

Hello.

No quick fix to this , but have you run through the muppet checks first ? is your scope creeping ? (moving slowly backwards , or loose in the mounts) sounds silly but i have fallen victim to creep a couple of times. check that all is tight (not too tight on the bolts that mount the scope otherwise you could crimp the tube) secondly what pellets did the chap use to zero the scope ?different weights give a different point of impact. Thirdly have you set the scope up properly ? (getting the eye relief set correctly, both on distance from cheek peice to eye peice , and the eye relief at the back of the scope. point the rifle at a neutral object , the sky is a good one NOT THE SUN ! and adjust the back bit by your eye until the crosshair is as sharp as it can be) lastly take the elevation turret of your scope and count the clicks from one end to the other. now half that and wind the turret by that amount, this will be the optical dead center of your scope. set up a 12 yd target with a plain dot drawn on it, use a bean bag on a stable surface (or some other way of getting a rock steady shot) and shoot the dot. if the pellet is below the target then undo your scope rings and insert one or two bits of film negative (or tin foil) into the bottom of your rear scope mount, tighten (making sure the crosshairs are level) and try again. the shot should move up. keep doing this until the shot os level with the dot. if the shot is above the dot the same process applies but you put the negative on the front underside of the scope tube mount. when you have got the shot level , concentrate on walking your shot in towards the dot with your windage turret. with a small click here and there you should be spot on in no time. good thing aboutsighting to 12 yds is that it should be pretty much spot on for 30 yds as well. DO NOT CHANGE PELLET as it will change the whole point of impact of the scope. hope i have not rambled too much but that should help. it's all to often forgotten how important setting up a scope properly is. if that fails clean barrel , check power consistency with a chrono , and worst case put a straight edge on the barrel to check it is not slightly bent (highly unlikely) finally if all else fails its either the scope or your shooting , at which point i would refer to the previous posts by a couple of learned friends and "pracice practice practice" and while you are practising please leave the quarry alone , until you can easily hit a 30-35 yard shot in a tight group. hope this helps bud. ( if not i have just wasted best part of an hour) :unsure:

bob

thanks for that advise bud and i should have stated i havent shot at any quarry yet as i knew somthing wasnt right as stated the best shot is a safe shot i will deffinatly give the scope adjustment ago and im going to the rifle range tomorrow night so will be in a controlled enviroment to sort this out but im not into shooting quarry just for the sake of it as it wouldnt acheive anything i would feel a great amount of pride knowing that were i place the pellet it will land as i know there is skill to shooting springers :good::good::good:

• 2 weeks later...

what model of bsa is it ? i have bsa super star fac .22 good rifle but they take some getting used to i have mine nearly 5 months nd im only getting the shots that i want now. practise your hold thats the most important thing with these springers

sorry i should of stated that bit i do have a bsa meteor .177 that ive had for fifteen years and can shoot pellet on pellet at 25yrds but it is to weak for hunting(so i was told)so ive brought a edger brothers hatsan mod 55s .177 full power for a spot of rabbiting but i just couldnt seem to get a deffinate grouping at 30 yrds not to bad now ive re adjusted the scope to my own eyes and as told practice practice practice thanks for the reply anyway its much apprieciated......

How did you get on at Woodend mate? I've been a couple of times, the indoor range is really handy (pity its not longer though!!)

it was ok mate thanks only been the once as abit busy but deffo going again i agree about the indoor range could do with an extra 15 yrds i think but wasnt allowed out on the knock downs until hes sure that im a safe shooter which i dont mind i think thats a good policy to have atb and safe shooting ........ :good::good::good:

• 2 weeks later...

Another consideration is the ranges that you will be shooting at. Until recently i had mine ranged at 30M which produced a barmy change if the distance was different (.22 by the way) Now reranged to 20m An 0-20 is dot on and 20+ is a mil dot under. A problem you may have is marksman ship and head positions.

To sum it up briefly Sold shooting position Hold your breath when your firing Squeeze the trigger don't snatch and allways keep the same head position (i learnt this the hard way ( head position could be you main cause here)) Find a spot on the stock/cheek peice that is comfortable and allways keep you chhek on that bit thus ensuring the same aim point.

Hope this helps But just keep practicing and don't get frustrated (cause i allways do and it doesn't help a bit)