Rape

mahmood

All my shooting lately has been on spring rape and sparse winter rape with the bags averaging 40 but best being 102 my dads friend had 187 the other day off some sparse winter rape. there is acres and acres of peas around but the pigeons wont touch them.

The rape round here is waist high, and holds no interest for us now until it gets cut. I would say from personal experience that the best shooting over rape is when it is harvested and you can shoot over the stubble. The only snag is that the farmers are a bit quick to plough it in, so you really have to keep your eye on the ball, so to speak, and get in there fast.

The spring rape around here is about the size of a key-ring tab at the moment, But there are still birds feeding on hammered winter rape. Parts of the fields are in flower while other parts are only a foot tall still. In some areas the birds were left alone all winter and have ruined huge areas of fields.

Our first rape field,s will be swathed on the 26th to the 28th July on the light ground with the last fields being sprayed (not swathed) around the 20th August on the heavy ground we are quite lucky up here to have a long harvesting period for the rape and as very little winter wheat is grown the rape stubbles are normaly left a good while.

As the Spring barley price is so low the farmers are now growing more Beans and Sprouts so I am hoping to have great winter shooting this year.

Andy