Are 67mm cartridges ok for 2 1/2 inch chambers?

Montefeltro

Hello all,

I recently purchased 250 Eley Firsts in size 8 fibre to shoot in my 2 ½ inch chambered hammer gun.

On the cartridge box is says 67mm long to suit 2 ½ inch chambered guns, but I thought 65mm was the maximum size for 2 ½ inch chambers?

Is it safe to shoot a 67mm long cartridge or should I stick to exactly 65mm?

If you can only use 65mm in a 2 ½ inch chambered gun then why are Eley selling 67mm cartridges and saying for use on 2 ½ inch chambers?? :hmm:

I know its only 2mm but Id hate to damage the barrels or the forcing cones :no::oops:

Regards

Gary

Edited by Montefeltro

It is quite dangerous to fire the wrong length cartridge in a gun marked 2/1/2 inch. When a cartridge opens up the crimp it does so in the chamber, which is considerably bigger than the forcing cone if 67mm cartridges are used when they open the crimp will be slightly in the forcing cone which will increase chamber pressure by at least 30% not a good idea on an older gun. Yes they will fire and just produce a slight bit more recoil however the gun might be hard to open after each shot.You will not tell by trying to fit a fired cartridge in the chamber please just use the correct size cartridge in the first place and use up the 67mm in something else

Happy shooting

Deershooter

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a Mortimer and Son shotgun (was an Edinburgh gun maker). It was made pre first world War, been resleaved, nitro proofed, and is chambered for 2 1/2 inch cartridges. I use 67 mm cartridges all the time and it is perfectly safe to do so, as stated by Eley.

Floating Chamber stated that in the sixtes Eley made cartridges 70mm for guns with a 2 1/2 inch chamber. I still have a box of these cartridges. They are Eley Grand Prix HV. On the box it is marked, Gauge 12, Length 70mm, Chamber 2 1/2 inches, Load 32 grams, 1 1/8 oz. As stated the box is marked 70mm, on the actual cartridge it is stamped 67.5mm.

I am new to Pigeon Watch and do not know if I can attach pictures or not.

• 1 year later...

I also have had this issue. inserted a dowel into my 2.5 inch chambered 1905 westley richards hammer gun to find the chambers wwere 67mm before the forcing cone. So OK . what not may be ok though is the pressure issues. I bought some local 2.5 inch shells which the gunmakers here said would be ok only to find that they generate 3.7 tonnes.

any body know the pressure of eley firsts and hull comp x?

thanks

George