.223 / 5.56mm Ammuntion - Help Please

Ackley, so if someone can't afford to ignore the cheap ammo, they should give up............ EXCEPT and UNLESS THEY COME TO YOU FOR SOME RELOADED ONES? The picture becomes clearer still. I tend to agree with previous comments, I find you more than a tad arrogant.

I didnt say that,if your skint why waste money on shooting,obvioulsy your not skint

I offered to save the guy £86 on 60 rounds when the £86 will load him over 200,a bit of a no brainer really

anyway best of luck with your situation,hope it changes for the better in the future

"I like to save as much as possable but if I cant afford to do something properly" - and who defines "properly"?! That's a huge grey area. for me, IF Prvi shoots well in my rifle, then that is proper shooting, and if its affordable too then its enjoyable proper shooting. I agree, and if I was saying something like "I don't clean my guns ever, because I can't afford the cleaning kit" then I would feel your point is justified, but I am merely asking for suppliers of lower priced ammo to try in my rifle, and your response of giving it up until I can afford the pricier stuff is just a bit ludicrous in my view. Anyway, I have better things to do like clean guns and fire them, and clean them and fire them, so forgive me all and thanks to everyone for the advice, but I will eject myself from the thread now unless any ammo discussion takes place which might be relevant to shooting more cheaply without sacfricing safety.

"I like to save as much as possable but if I cant afford to do something properly" - and who defines "properly"?! That's a huge grey area. for me, IF Prvi shoots well in my rifle, then that is proper shooting, and if its affordable too then its enjoyable proper shooting. I agree, and if I was saying something like "I don't clean my guns ever, because I can't afford the cleaning kit" then I would feel your point is justified, but I am merely asking for suppliers of lower priced ammo to try in my rifle, and your response of giving it up until I can afford the pricier stuff is just a bit ludicrous in my view. Anyway, I have better things to do like clean guns and fire them, and clean them and fire them, so forgive me all and thanks to everyone for the advice, but I will eject myself from the thread now unless any ammo discussion takes place which might be relevant to shooting more cheaply without sacfricing safety.

I will tell you what properly is

you may find an £11 box of ammo will shoot great,thats superb BUT what happens when the bullets run out and you cant get any more ?? the batch numbers change and so does the peformance,then you will be wasting time and money trying them again

unless you nuy a load of cheap ammo that you know works with the same batch numbers in which case you will be spending more money at that time of purchase,

I know this for a fact as a mate of mine did the same his rifle shot cheap ammo for fun,batch number change it was shocking,I then sent him back to buy as much of the origonal stuff they had on the shelf hence spening quite a bit

your origonal question should have been I want to use cheaper ammo not that funds were tight

Edited by Ackley

Cheap or expensive they still go bang and drop what they are pointing at. 55g of American eagle at 60p per go or 53gn of winny silver tip at £1.60 per go I know at 200 yards I don't want them coming at me !!!

American eagles get a thumbs up from me although I quite like the fiochi round as my first choice at £18.75 for 20

Do HM forces have a large supply of 5.56 made in different die's and batch's if so do they have accuracy problems and do they get it cheap!!

No, they have a bloke who reloads it all for them. They were going to buy Radway Green, but realised they'd be better off giving up shooting than cutting costs. :lol:

Last year at Bisley I spent a very boring day watching my mate banging in V-bull after V-bull with Privi .223 ammo at 300yds. In the end even he got bored with it. The marker was getting the hump because he had to keep replacing the orange square. That was with a tactical PR with 1 in 8 twist bull barrel and a scope the size of the Hubble.

Don't under estimate Privi ammunition, it may be cheap but thats mainly because it doesn't come from the other side of the atlantic with all the associated price hikes. Some people will always turn their nose up at it but thats up to them.

Peter Lawman lists 55grn SP .223 at 39.95 a hundred even now. Thats £8 a box, the target stuff is £45 a hundred. Pretty good in my estimation. If your rifle likes it, use it. The rest is cobblers

Edited by Vince Green

dont take this the wrong way mate but if your having money problems the first thing to do is stop shooting,unless your shootiong meat for your family dinners,

buy esentials shooting isnt esential its a hobby

good luck

I thought it was a fairly sensible comment really. Shooting is a hobby and if things are that bad then putting it on hold until you've paid off the important stuff isn't a bad idea.

Now and again when my work goes quiet the guns sit in the safe once the ammo I have stored is gone. Spending £100 on ammo when the bank is charging you £5 per day for being overdrawn is silly. :yes:

I would say try the suppliers the guys have listed above in this thread :good: ... To be honest, with inflation etc... you wont be saving "tonnes" of money in ammo with reloading until you are recycling cases and turning out a few etc...

Also... I have to agree with njc110381, I feel Ackley's comment was sensible but make of it what you will, its up to opinion but the truth remains that for most shooters, unless paid for it/selling on meat. The cash flow is totally negative AKA all expenditure, which also means stopping shooting will obviously help you out of a "situation" faster as there is more finance available then. But yeah, Privi is pretty much as cheap as it gets, but another guy on here, Frank? Used to shoot American Eagle for foxes and the like, and killed many, if the rifle shoots well it will kill as good as a "premium"/"better marketed" round :P

Steve