Lab or Springer

Will 1994

Sounds like you want a retriever ive got a spaniel ideal for beating rough shooting and the odd wildfowling foray but come the depths of winter they can struggle, with regards to a Lab im biased and dont like to follow the crowds so i would get a lovely golden retriever do everything a Lab can do but with more style and grace and they are better looking to just my opinion of course

dog7.jpg

dog3.jpg

dog6.jpg

dog5.jpg

Flint-3-1.jpg

flint-fallowfen-gundogs-a-1.jpg

Edited by tigger

Sako is absolutely a trannie,and in fact in his opinion they are even better than the uphill gardeners he also keeps company. He also likes men,all oiled up in skimp shorts that show their bulges.

Well that's very errr...enlightening mate, not sure I'd want to share on here though, there's other sites for that sort of thing!

Well that's very errr...enlightening mate, not sure I'd want to share on here though, there's other sites for that sort of thing!

Could return the favour again,but wont.Im sure you have learned your lesson,if your going to get a cheap shot in,better make it a good one and not like your first effort.And you really should have been more original than reusing the skimpy shorts bit.Here endeths the lesson.

"A Springer has a nose like no other and ears like a bat. He can hunt point and flush in all weathers and terrain, retrieve as the best Retriever or Labrador, swim like an Otter, and face the thickest brambles with total disdain. He can work a full day and warm his master in the eve and still be alert to guard the night. He truly is the Maid of all Work.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

:lol: :lol: :lol: Mr Sako, I'll tell you what fella, I could have been far more cutting and risque, but to be honest I don't know what I can get away with on here...

...and having just had a 16 page firefight with a bunch of socially inept sheep on a supposedly rufty tufty bikers forum, I'm quite happy not pushing the boundaries on here. It's amazing how some people think they'll silence someone by the sheer volume of **** they post at them! :no:

So you no, you're alright, you win.

I got a springer for my first dog and it has turned out excellent, very obdient, good retriever and good hunter. However, with the type of work your gonna be doing I would say Lab or some sort of retriever is your best option. I would never be without a Springer but this is due to the terrain I hunt and the type of shooting I do.

"A Springer has a nose like no other and ears like a bat. He can hunt point and flush in all weathers and terrain, retrieve as the best Retriever or Labrador, swim like an Otter, and face the thickest brambles with total disdain. He can work a full day and warm his master in the eve and still be alert to guard the night. He truly is the Maid of all Work.”

Oh such a true true quote.

I had springers all my life mate and never had a problem with 1 picking up a goose or sitting put on the shore or hide. But then again I never bought a small trialing sized dog, my Springers were all big well built dogs as Ess's go. At present I have a Springador which is 4 year old she was trained for the gun but never finnished as I gave up a couple of years ago. She has the drive of a spaniel but at the same time she is as laid back as a Lab. Today I took her out to see if she would take to the gun as I never tried her before. No probs she done that well myself and my wife fired around a 100 shells at the clay ground, tomorrow finds her 1st day on the field. My wife has 6 month old lab in the kennel which she is training and to be honest she is a nightmare compared to any Spaniels or the Springador that I have trained. BTW whilst most will advocate a Lab for fowling and a hide and a Spaniel for working, I have never put that train of thought with any dog choice. I went fowling 90% of the time and my Spaniel was as happy as a pig in ______. Its all down to how you train the dog. Train it to hunt and it will hunt, train it to sit and itll sit. ALLdogs have an instinct to hunt, it is as I said down to how you harness that, and that will determine the end result you get. Good luck and buy what you are comfy with. Oh and bear this in mind when you come to buy a pup. The dog will pick you, dont go rushing in and grab the bold dog, or the dog that sits at the back. Make the decision before you go either dog or bitch. Ask to get the other sex out away and enjoy the moment, it wont be long before a pup will catch your eye. If it comes to you walk away a short distance and see if it follows you, normally 1 or 2 will but only 1 will stand out in the crowd and you will know it.

Good luck when the time comes and enjoy each and every minute.

cheers

nutty

Thats very true, when I went to look at a litter of Springers the two remaining available puppies were in a room together, one showed absolutely no interest at all while the other came and sat on my foot the whole time....... now nearly 3 years later I have a very happy Springer who wants to go everywhere with me and one of the best companions that you could wish for. Yes he has lots of energy but he has no fear when it comes to leaping into patches of brambles looking for things, still working on the training with him but he can do the basics of sit, stay, heel and leaving things until he's told he can have them. Retrieving is no problem for him. The only problem you may find with a Springer is what they will try to eat and I know I'm not alone here from talking to a few friends but stones, wood, paper, my bloody wallet (including cash and bank cards!!!!!) are all fair game, still wouldn't be without him though, how could you resist a face like this.....

DSCN2022.jpg

"A Springer has a nose like no other and ears like a bat. He can hunt point and flush in all weathers and terrain, retrieve as the best Retriever or Labrador, swim like an Otter, and face the thickest brambles with total disdain. He can work a full day and warm his master in the eve and still be alert to guard the night. He truly is the Maid of all Work.”

Yep you are very correct I would not be without mine and the only thing it cannot do well is sit out on the marsh in -10 snow etc and retrieve a goose from a flooding tide but apart from that he is ace he has given it a good go though lol

wildfowling111.jpg

wildfowling120.jpg

Edited by tigger

Now I have a cocker myself and before that I had a springer ,but I still say for the shooting you will be doing I would have a Lab ,also if your folks are worried about having a Lab in the house get them to think about this ,all dogs whiff a bit but a damp and dirty spaniel will smell far worse than a Lab in a similar state ! they will also drop more hair and generally be more active , to be honest the best place for a gundog is outside in a decent kennel

Our new Lab pup is a dream in the house (first my wife has let indoors in quite a while) He lives outdoors though. As regards hypo house reckers they aint renowed for it. A lot has to do with the energy that is naturaly in the dog, is linked to the breed but indiviuals will vary spaniels being generally more high energy than labs HPR's and pointers can be off the chart. Training can be a solution but some will drive you crackers in the process. For me a shooting dog should be outdoors a wildfowlers dog more so :good: