shooting Insurance

WE know that it does'nt cover you if you are getting paid to control pests This came to light last year when some contract stalkers found out from the SGA that the insurance would'nt cover them so all the shooting orgs checked to find out and the answer was YOU NEED YOUR OWN COMMERCIAL INSURANCE because we have had to inform our members accordingly (SACS) it was lucky this had been highlighted by the SGA BEFORE someone came a cropper Now stop arguing shaun or I'll tell everyone your avatar is actually your passport fotie and you'll get sent to stand in the corner :P

Crouch,

Get in touch with me directly - david.ilsley@basc.org.uk and I will see what I can sort out for you.

None of the organisations will cover commercial or business activities

There are no hard and fast rules about when an activity stops being recreational, if you are running a pest control business that’s one thing, if you are being paid a few bob to cover ammo and diesel that’s another!

Just because a beater or picker up is getting paid a £20 or a brace of birds or a pie and a pint does not make the beating non recreational in BASC insurers eyes

As to the recent article in Sporting Gun, there are a few points that were, in my view, not as clear a they could be- for example, the article says there is a £250 excess on the BASC members policy , there is not – this does not apply in any case of a claim.

As the article says insurance claims will always be judged on their merits- this is common for all insurance claims, no insurer simply pays out when a claim form is submitted, they have to check that there is a liability and that the liability is covered under the policy.

As I have always said, never assume anything with insurance policies, get a copy of the full policy wording and read through it, if any of it is not cleat phone the insurer up and ask questions – as Vulpicide correctly said, its lucks these other guys found out before there was an accident.

Regards to all

David

there is some doubt that NOBS/SACS insurance covers beaters and pickers up as they are employees of shoots in law, and the guy who set up the deal has stated they are not covered as the cover is recreational use only.

The shoot should have employers liability cover covering them in any case.

Professional insurance is necessary as stated already, but will not be cheap, depending on the company and its assessment of risk of claims, an insurance company is there to make profits not be a c harity

There is no doubt re SACS insurance the paid beaters are covered they are basically volunteers that are given a token sum to cover expenses for the day out if they were employees they would need to be paid minimum wage at least now if anyone works in the security sector could let us know how much is charged per hour/day for a trained dog we could compare that to what you would have to pay for a team of trained spaniels or labs and you would soon find shooting would be priced out the market. tHINK ABOUT IT TEN BEATERS @£6 PER HOUR FOR EIGHT HOURS IS THE BEST PART OF £500 QUID JUST FOR BEATERS DOGS WOULD BE EXTRA I hate caps lock.

It is certain that NGO don’t cover beaters etc but most other organisations do.

As I said, getting a few quid a week is one thing, but the BASC, and I would have thought the SACS, insurance would not cover someone who is say loading 5 days a week at £150-200 per day!

It would help if all the orgs would publish full details of tier policy wording and Key Facts document so members and potential members can see what they are getting cover for, and more importantly what they are not covered for, this would remove the 'doubt'

As I said earlier, let me know exactly what you are doing and I will confirm whether you are covered or not.

Best wishes

David

Sorry Vulpicide but beaters and pickers up are legally employees of the shoot even if no payment exchanges hands.

That is why so many commercial shoots have Certificates of Employers Liability Cover - usually the NFU Mutual- posted in beaters sheds or trailers.

I think that the NFU underwrite the SACS cover as well, but even when I wrote to the NFU Head Office asking for details of the cover they did not even have the courtesy to reply so I decided not to take cover out.

As David said, do not rely on assurances from any organisation regarding cover, obtain a copy of the Policy limitations and cover and exclusions, and read the small print to ascertain if you are covered or not, sad that there isnt apparently a legal requirement for these to be issued automatically. Many do cover Third Party Liability, some also Personal Accident but many do not, so if you injure a third party you are covered, if you break a leg etc you may not be covered under your policy.

Insurance Companies are not charities, they are commercial organisations trying to make a profit and ***** the risk involved before offering cover at a suitable premium to achieve that. They will also examine every claim to ensure that the policy covers the incident claimed for, too late to find you arent covered when you claim!

Try these people.

http://www.ccc3.org.uk/?page=home

Vic.

Like other organisations, Country Cover Club operates what is known as a "scheme".

This means we are not insurance brokers who can offer a variety of policies to suit individual needs - instead we are a membership club that has benifits for members, one of which includes P/L insurance for recreational country sports inc shooting and vermin control under a single master policy that insures all memebers for the covered activities.

Commercial and professional operations are not covered in our master polcy, so any CCC3 member wanting such cover should look to a broker for a specific policy unless they can find a group scheme that encompasses proffessional work.

For vermin control, one area to look in would be insurance for Pest Control ( rather than shooting specific insurance). This is a large industry, and the actual means used to control vermin, trapping, poision, deterrants, shootig - probably does not matter.

Alternatively, look to the venue's existing insurance. A golf club will have a P/L policy of its own and may either already cover vermin control as part of the ground maintenance, or it could be this can be added. Its usually cheaper to bundle an extra into and existing policy, than it is to create a ne and specific policy.