Car wobbling under acceleration

noodly

I drive a 57 reg Kia Sportage. Its not abused and serviced when needed.

Its developed a wobble between 50mph and 65mph when accelerating. It doesn't wobble when not accelerating though.

I've had all the normal stuff like tyres, balancing, tracking checked.

Got the local garage to look under it and they said everything looks fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I want to sell the car but cant sell it in this condition!!!

Many thanks.

If its a wobble through the steering wheel, you've probably lost wheel weights.

If its actual movement on the road (i.e. all the car vibrating when accelerating then its got to be front end camber, tracking or toe-in misadjustment.

It depends on the severity but have you bumped heavily over a kerb, or hit a larger than average hole/bump?

If you think back, it would be my guess that its possibly toe-in.

A good crack from a kerb when parrallel parking can do that sometimes.

I'd get under it yourself for a wobble - you'll easily feel if there's any knocks/play in it and you'll have a good idea what they're talking about when you take it to the garage then :)

Been under and checked all the bits I could see that could be the culprit.

No joy still, I can feel an expensive bill coming on, one I cant really afford at the moment either!

Been under and checked all the bits I could see that could be the culprit.

No joy still, I can feel an expensive bill coming on, one I cant really afford at the moment either!

In our workshop these symptoms are usually caused by front drive-shaft CV joints assemblies worn or partially siezed, invariably one or both the inner CV's although it can be outer joints. If the joints have rubber boots check them for small splits/pinholes, if it is possible to remove the clips/clamps that secure them, carefully rolling them back may enable you see if water ingress has ocurred. Before you do this establish first, that refitting them securely is possible. On a couple of occasions cleaning out the offending joint and repacking with suitable grease has extended the serviceable life of the CV. Obviously excessive wear will probably require renewal. Just my slant on this, hope this helps.