Shooting dogs ........

coupe312

OH DEAR OH DEAR,

Not this subject again, Johngalway you weren't involved in this discussion on the BBS were you? You cannot shoot a dog just because it is on your land. You can shoot a dog if it is worrying livestock and CANNOT be controlled by any other means.

On the BBS they were discussing what caliber rifle to use and suitable ammunition. That is purely irresponsioble and they are obviously setting out and planning to shoot a dog.

The fact that a dog has wandered under a fence or through a hedge doesn't make it a legitimate target. If you think it does then please do the shooting community a favour and go and hand your guns in.

If a footbath runs through a field then dogs should be on a lead, but then a farmers field should have boundaries.

As Coupe says does that mean that if a farmers sheep get loose and end up in his garden they can be shot?

As I posted on the BBS if anyone shot my dog because it had wandered on to a field they wouldn't have to worry about giving up shooting because they would not be able to shoot again when I had finished with them.

That said I hope I would never find myself in a situation where my dog was worrying livestock as I consider myself to be a responsible dog owner.

Cheers

Martin

Martin, "quote"they would not be able to shoot again when I had finished with them" in my eyes and of any FEO/FLO you are not a fit person to hold any type of firearm/shotgun

Dogs in fields, especially around lambs are a danger. Even the best tempered dog will have the propensity to go primeval - who has a lovely mutt a home that's a little smasher and great round the kids.... but you wouldn't want to take a bone away from it after Sunday lunch? :)

I know about half a dozen farmers and each to a man would shoot the dog if they thought it was going to attack livestock - it is a natural consequence of the circumstances.

I have to say that having a pop at the farmers is farcical

If your dog wandered into a farmer's field and attacked (or even playfully pursued sheep - after all sheep don't know the difference and would still suffer from shock / miss-carry) and the farmer then shot the dog. Sad as it maybe, the only person to blame and to bear any consequences would be the owner of the dog - of this I am certain.

- a little edit there to tidy up a bit of grammar, after all I have standards to maintain

as i keep saying i can understand the shooting of dogs worrying sheep, that a fair call my main point is.

in a empty field with no livestock in it what crime is the dog commiting except for tresspass?

Seriously though, has anyone heard of a farmer shooting a dog in those circumstances i.e. for fun? Maybe in Wales, but surely not in the rest of the civilised world. :)

as i keep saying i can understand the shooting of dogs worrying sheep, that a fair call my main point is.

in a empty field with no livestock in it what crime is the dog commiting except for tresspass?

Its up to no flaming good i can tell you if a dog is straying into a feild where livestock is usually kept. :yes:

I know, from experience what they are up to. :good:

So sir, keep your dog on a lead, otherwise you could find yourself in a lot of bother. :D

i had to leave the range last night before my second line cause if not i might have pulled his ******* arms an legs off

:yes: :o coupe

:) With that sort comment, are you fit enough to hold firearms i wonder?? :P:)

With that sort comment, are you fit enough to hold firearms i wonder??

Martin, "quote"they would not be able to shoot again when I had finished with them" in my eyes and of any FEO/FLO you are not a fit person to hold any type of firearm/shotgun

Ever driven a car faster than the speed limit?

Then technically you are capable of breaking the law and you are not fit to hold firearms.

I have been approved by Essex Police to hold firearms and shotguns so obviously I am fit. The fact that I don't agree with shooting a dog because it has strayed through a fence doesn't make me a gun ho loonatic.

Its up to no flaming good i can tell you if a dog is straying into a feild where livestock is usually kept.

I know, from experience what they are up to.

So sir, keep your dog on a lead, otherwise you could find yourself in a lot of bother.

Because a dog has strayed into a field where livestock is kept does not mean it is after livestock. Yes I agree if you can't control your dog then keep it on a lead, especially around other animals. But please do not shoot one because it is the wrong side of a hedge or fence.

Cheers

Martin

Seriously though, has anyone heard of a farmer shooting a dog in those circumstances i.e. for fun? Maybe in Wales, but surely not in the rest of the civilised world. :angry:

:lol: There is so much truth in that. An old school friend of mine had his dog shot by a farmer who alleged it had been worrying sheep, trouble was the old mutt was so arthritic it hadn't been further than the back garden for years.

I don't see that anyone would disagree with the general right of farmer's to shoot problem dogs; but, as in all walks of life, there are those individuals who will take it too far and step outside the boundaries of what is right and proper by setting out to kill dogs for fun.

[

Seriously though, has anyone heard of a farmer shooting a dog in those circumstances i.e. for fun? Maybe in Wales, but surely not in the rest of the civilised world. :lol:

:lol:;):P:P:angry:

Ft

this is the reson i raised this discusion cuase someone was just braggin about been able and have carried out a dog shooting for the reson on been on his land... so yes there is people out there with FAC and SGC

Its up to no flaming good i can tell you if a dog is straying into a feild where livestock is usually kept. :lol:

I know, from experience what they are up to. :P

So sir, keep your dog on a lead, otherwise you could find yourself in a lot of bother. :P

i had to leave the range last night before my second line cause if not i might have pulled his ******* arms an legs off

:lol:;) coupe

frank

so do you feel it right to shoot dogs for the reason of there on my land, even though no live stock is there.

:angry: With that sort comment, are you fit enough to hold firearms i wonder?? :P:P

frank

so do you feel it right to shoot dogs for the reason of there on my land, even though no live stock is there or will even be there has been there?

if a dog is shot for the right reason, evena little bit more resept that bragging how it was acting after been shoot sevral times the a shotgun.

hold and license FAC or SGC is about acting in a aproprate and safe manner, admited in the company of other shooter, but been happy about pain and distress is not a good thing nor gives a good impression of yourself...

as for walking away i did the right thing, i know if i had stay i might have acted unsuitable and given the wrong impresion of myself.

i can't see how that.... been sensable and responsable make me unsuitable to hold a FAC.

this topic has learn me a leason be fully discriptive in every way giving every little detail or this are mis seen and understud