future of beating

wader74

hi everyone,im just gunna get this rant of my chest,i have read numerous articles about the future of shooting,well i tend to agree with what ive read,i have put numerous ads on here about beating this season in which i was looking to get back into it after a few years away from it,and moving to devon,im not interested in shooting the birds just beating,i had one reply in which i thought might of come to something,but i dont think its going too now, i dont like to keep pestering the guy,he was good enough to reply in the first place,i had a offer tonight but it was back up in somerset,which is too far really,its just so frustrating really,and its such a tight knit community,i do beleave that it will fade away at some stage in the future if this is what its like nowadays,im starting to think about giving up now,what are your thoughts on this???? right rant over now all answers v welcome :good:

Mate I agree, finding beating is hard work! And sooner or later every shoot is going to be short, so keep at it. Have you tried PUBs (Pickers up and beaters forum) its free and friendly. Thers also NOBs (National organisation of Beaters and pickers up) I think this is a fiver or £20 with shooting insurance although i've heard rumours (only rumours though!!) that the service isn't that great.

PW is hardly the place to ask, try getting off the computer and finding the local keepers. They are the ones who look for beaters and the decent ones don't have the time to be on forums talking about it. Round us its so popular they are rarely short and have a good supply of regulars which is why it can be hard for people trying to get involved. The problem is you only want so many on a day, too many and it becomes a nightmare

PW is hardly the place to ask, try getting off the computer and finding the local keepers. They are the ones who look for beaters and the decent ones don't have the time to be on forums talking about it. Round us its so popular they are rarely short and have a good supply of regulars which is why it can be hard for people trying to get involved. The problem is you only want so many on a day, too many and it becomes a nightmare

:stupid::stupid:

There's plenty of beaters who beat almost every day of the week. There's also plenty of shoots on the same day and they're competing for the same beaters in some cases. Ask in any local gunshops if they have contact with shoots, most do in one form or another.

I put an advert for beaters on PUBS and within ten days I've taken on four and got two reserves.

If you have spent time historically as a beater I would have thought you had an idea of the situation.

Many shoots are slow to change and like friends/relations etc, but Devon has many shoots, I'd have to say you need to put yourself around a bit more.

I hardly consider the Future of Shooting is at risk because you can't find a beating role!

ATB! :good::good:

Yes , this a tight nit community.

I have tried to contact a member on this forum and no reply, but will try again.

I have done a bit of networking with old associates but part of the answer has got to be keep trying just like finding new perms.

It is frustrating and hard at times.

One of my local shoots only uses 8 beaters and on a Tues. I know the shoot captain but cant get any where yet.

I am posting now as I have a little time at work while machine is running but I am listing all the places and people to try.

Dont give up.

Best of luck.

HB

I went beating today for the first time, found somewhere easy on the site gunsonpegs. Try there :good:

ive looked on there,just placed a ad too

not being funny but dont you think i have tried that

Yes , this a tight nit community.

I have tried to contact a member on this forum and no reply, but will try again.

I have done a bit of networking with old associates but part of the answer has got to be keep trying just like finding new perms.

It is frustrating and hard at times.

One of my local shoots only uses 8 beaters and on a Tues. I know the shoot captain but cant get any where yet.

I am posting now as I have a little time at work while machine is running but I am listing all the places and people to try.

Dont give up.

Best of luck.

HB

hi bopper ..whee in notts are you?have a look at pubs.myfunforum.org

persistence is the answer, try all of the forums mentioned.

I got placed on www.pubs.myfunforum.org in no time and now several shoots locally are aware that I can do days when they are short, so offers come in- especially as vacancies will arise as the season progresses for a variety of reasons.

As for keepers and shoot captains not using the forums due to time constrictions, many do advertise on the forums, or perhaps encourage their wives to on their behalf, you just need to read the posts.

I was at a new shoot recently, chatting over a coke at the pub afterwards and one picker up said he found the shoot via PuBS, but wondered how effective it was generally, the other beater and I there both said thats how we found the shoot!

with us we will have as few as 2 beaters up to 25 beaters plus 12 pickers up each getting 30 quid on the big days, we always have to turn people away as every one loves beating,

trying to be diplomatic (spellings i know!) about it is the hard thing we have to loyal to our older guys and use our good guys more than the err numpties!

yet we have to use them numpties often enugh so their still their when we need a large group of em.

i very much doubt that shoots will ever be short of beaters as long as their is shooting their will be beaters.