gun reblueing

I did a s/s yesterday. To be honest it was more a bit of fun than epecting anything good, but I am thrilled with the result.

I had a bottle of phillips cold blue. Made a small trough out of cardboard, lined with a bin liner to make it watertight. Went over the barrels very lightly with some 1200 wet and dry paper. Then with 00 wire wool. Plugged the barrels at both ends with corks. Thoroughly de-greased the lot with cellulose thinners and a brush, then spayed over the whole with conact cleaner. DO NOT touch the barrel after degreasing or the blue won't work. Diluted as per instructions 1-3 with water. Holding the corked ends, I lwered it into the solution for 5 mins (the instructions said 3 :lol: ) lift out gentle rinse off with clean water and light rub with the wire wool. I repeated this process 5 times. Then rinse off, spray with water repellant (I used WD40) Leve for a minimum of 1 hour. Oil up and its looks gorgeuous. :good::good:

Hope this helps

I've used the Philips stuff and it's good found it hard to find so used a cold-ox kit from caswells It's basically the same but the kit comes with degreaser and protective oil etc they both look good for home jobs but IMHO if its a nice gun you can't beat proper london blacking by a good gun smith.

For £11 it is an amazing finish, but I agree if money is not an isue proffesional re-blacking is superior. The finish I got was every bit as good as on my factory HW100 so I am very impressed.

I know where to bring my barrels now T33 :lol: :lol: BB

:P:P:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried to do my Aya years ago with a blueing kit and it faded after a few weeks, so I ended up taking it to Cheshire gun room £120 for blueing and fix a few other minor things.

But recently I have been really curious about how to do it myself. There are videos on youtube using a blowtorch and motor oil. After polishing the barrels and degreasing them, he heats up the barrel with the blowtorch until it goes a black colour and drops it in the oil, if you use new motor oil it goes like a purple-ish case hardened colour and used motor oil it goes black. Im not sure how it all works to be honest but I want to get a beat up old gun and experiment.

Edited by Deerstalkerlunt

I tried to do my Aya years ago with a blueing kit and it faded after a few weeks, so I ended up taking it to Cheshire gun room £120 for blueing and fix a few other minor things.

But recently I have been really curious about how to do it myself. There are videos on youtube using a blowtorch and motor oil. After polishing the barrels and degreasing them, he heats up the barrel with the blowtorch until it goes a black colour and drops it in the oil, if you use new motor oil it goes like a purple-ish case hardened colour and used motor oil it goes black. Im not sure how it all works to be honest but I want to get a beat up old gun and experiment.

Be very careful with a torch on guns with soft soldered tubes or ribs the solder will melt before the colour changes.