Metal Detecting.

Cranfield

I have got a friend who I shoot with who is always out on a sunday in some field or on the foreshore with his earphones on. I don't really know much about it but he finds a lot of old coins, jewellery and other bits and pieces.

He has found several very valuable coins. He is always on the beach in the summer evenings after everyone has gone home, finding rings and watches.

Cheers

Martin

Do any members get involved with this, or know anything about it ?

Got a mate up the road with a 50 acre roman site on his farm and he suffers badly with "nighthawks". They are unsrupulous detectors who rob out archeological sites. There are people who do it responsibly and either hand the stuff over to the landowner or mark the site and inform the county archeologist, as I am sure martin's friend hands his lost property over to the police, but I've never met any!

Ft

Last Saturday near where I live there was a competition.

A 10 acre section of a cultivated field was roped off and about 20 detector people started detecting, at about 9am.

They carried on until about 3 pm and then they brought what they had found to a little tented area and got points awarded for what they had found.

After which they had a barbecue and drank a few beers.

It was all very civil, there were men and women involved and a few followers, they even had porta loos.

I got this information from the Shepherd, when I asked him what was going on.

Apparently they belong to a Club and hold these competitions around the area about once a month.

A 10 acre section of a cultivated field was roped off and about 20 detector people started detecting, at about 9am.

They carried on until about 3 pm and then they brought what they had found to a little tented area and got points awarded for what they had found.

It was all very civil, there were men and women involved and a few followers, they even had porta loos.

Apparently they belong to a Club and hold these competitions around the area about once a month.

Oh my god. If you *ever* catch me doing that kill me, for surely I must have been body snatched by alian invaders.

as I am sure martin's friend hands his lost property over to the police,

I don't think he does, Unless the item is very old or valuable I don't think you have to. There is a thing called treasure trove. Don't really understand it but I will find out if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Martin

Treasure trove

Here it is if you want to read it.

It basically means anything found belongs to the crown but they are only interested in it if it is worth something. HMMM must mean a labour government :angry:

Cheers

Martin

as I am sure martin's friend hands his lost property over to the police,

I don't think he does, Unless the item is very old or valuable I don't think you have to. There is a thing called treasure trove. Don't really understand it but I will find out if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Martin

Treasure trove

Here it is if you want to read it.

It basically means anything found belongs to the crown but they are only interested in it if it is worth something. HMMM must mean a labour government :lol:

Cheers

Martin

Martin, so if you lose your wallet/watch/ personal possession in a public place it's "treasure trove" is it?

Ft

Cranfield, did they do line dancing too? :angry:

Ft

No line dancing, but they were a mixed group of young and old, male and female, all appearing to be having a good time.

A classic example of "whatever floats your boat", I suppose. :angry:

Edit Note: the line dancing comment made me think, don't we have a Morris Dancer among our members ?

The common law of treasure trove in England, Wales and Northern Ireland was replaced in 1996 by The Treasure Act. The definition of treasure has been extended to include objects found in association with precious metal items, that would have been covered by treasure trove etc.

The common law of treasure trove in England, Wales and Northern Ireland was replaced in 1996 by The Treasure Act. The definition of treasure has been extended to include objects found in association with precious metal items, that would have been covered by treasure trove etc.

Square

I have to confess - I used to have a metal detector in my callow youth.

All part of a get rich quick idea.

I used to visit all the local fields that had annual funfairs, and had lots of success getting huge quantities of 1 penny coins (used on the various stalls).

Also lots of thrupenny bits, tanners, two bobs, half-crowns. I still have bags of them in the loft.

The best find that I made was a Burmese Star medal, that I handed back to its grateful owner.

The metal detectors in those days were not very good at descriminating between the different metals, and can ring-pulls were an absolute pain, as were bottle tops.

I did make a profit - when I sold the detector on to an unsuspecting neighbour whose head I had filled with get rich quick ideas..... I suppose that I should feel guilty about this.

Don

Yeah, it would be better if they got rid of their metal detecting thingies and maybe got some shotguns......

I was in a pigeon shooting hide a few years ago and a metal detector guy came up to the hide and started rambling on about how good this metal detecting mullarky was :P:P

He then told me that if i ever tried metal detecting that i would give up shooting for ever :angry::lol::lol: I think he actually believed that to be true, or maybe he was on summat ?

Needless to say i have never tried it ;)

Yeah, it would be better if they got rid of their metal detecting thingies and maybe got some shotguns......

I was in a pigeon shooting hide a few years ago and a metal detector guy came up to the hide and started rambling on about how good this metal detecting mullarky was :P:P

He then told me that if i ever tried metal detecting that i would give up shooting for ever :angry::lol::lol: I think he actually believed that to be true, or maybe he was on summat ?

Needless to say i have never tried it ;)

Miffy

If you haven't tried it - how can you knock it?

Just speak to John Prescott....

Don

I think you need an anorak and a thermos flask to be part of the gang. You know just wear what you wear when you go train spotting. :angry:

I like to wear my crombie and look professional :lol:

Sounds alright except for the metal detecting bit Cranfield!!

Margate, Broadstairs and Minnis Bay. Lost count of the number of rings, 'tings and bling I have found. I allways go to the rozzers and declare and so far have kept 90% of finds.

People approach me and ask me to look for lost keys etc.

I have had a few thank you letters regarding wedding rings from grateful people and can guarentee, in the summer, I will £20 or so a night after a weekend of evening sweeps.

One day I hope to get the full anorak and start searching for treasure, but not just yet :lol:

Cranfield, it's a compulsive pastime. If you get into it your missus will be like those 'golf widows' Tread carefully or you will find yourself shopping for a anorak, or a new wife ;)

LB

Martin, so if you lose your wallet/watch/ personal possession in a public place it's "treasure trove" is it?

Ft

If I were to lose something in a public place then no it isn't treasure trove, but in this day and age I wouldn't expect to get it back either.

It doesn't make it right I know but what's is lost is lost.

I will never have this problem myself as I don't go Metal detecting and am quite sure that if I did the only thing I would find would be old rusty screws and nails.

Cheers

Martin

Edit Note: the line dancing comment made me think, don't we have a Morris Dancer among our members ?

Don't go there.

The father in law used to do it. I went along once, drank too much ale and nearly signed up. :good:

It was a while before I could drink again. :crazy:

However beating people with sticks has got an appealing quality to it ....................

I used to do it, still have my detector, i found an old muzzle loader barrel, think originated in spain but had the british army stamp on it, it had been cut down and made into a blunderbuss style gun for poachers on a local estate, was told they probably loaded it with gravel or anything else they cud lay their hands to. i found it close to the estate and the pro's reckoned the poachers wer being chased so they dumped the guns in the dark and cudnt find them again. il post a pic later if anyones is interested. Ozo

I used to do it, still have my detector, i found an old muzzle loader barrel, think originated in spain but had the british army stamp on it, it had been cut down and made into a blunderbuss style gun for poachers on a local estate, was told they probably loaded it with gravel or anything else they cud lay their hands to. i found it close to the estate and the pro's reckoned the poachers wer being chased so they dumped the guns in the dark and cudnt find them again. il post a pic later if anyones is interested. Ozo

i'd love to see a pic ozo, sounds great! :good: