Pigeons by moon

M ROBSON

I was doing a moon flight a couple of seasons ago on the Tay, it was a very cold night, about -6. At about one in the morning i was walking off the marsh when i saw a pigeon fly along a hedgerow in front of me and land into a corner of a winter rape field. As i got closer my dog put six pigeon out of the same corner. I would be interested to see if anyone else has seen this before, it could have been down to the long cold spell, we came close to a cold weather ban that year. Could be a new line of sport, Pigeon by moonlight!!

I watched a pigeon shooting video recently and the birds were feeding early morning on a pea field, so the guy shooing(jim whats his name) set up his decoys and hide in the dark before it got light and i am sure the birds started coming in before it got light. However it was about 5 or 6 am.

Crapshot

Woodies are not particularly early risers - in winter you will always see crows a good half hour before the first pigeon appears - their eyesight is not as good as a crow, thats why the first few that appear will often fly straight past the decoy pattern / rotary without so much as a downward glance - i'm convinced that they can't see whats down there until it's fully light.