Head or body shot

theoben fenman

with a 12ft lb airrifle id go head shot or nothing every rabbit with a airgun ive shot has dropped dead or dropped and done a little bit of spasming

at distance ive had a rabbit go onto its back legs as ive taken the shot and its took a pellet in the chest at 30 ish yards it was far from dead and ment a bit of chasing about not good imo plus disturbs rest of rabbits if they drop with a little muscle spasm you can still take further shots

i know some take body shots but not for me :good:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this also brings up the old .177 or .22 arguement.....

A .22 in the chest might be quicker than a low head shot that lets the rabbit run off and die: I can see a valid case but tend to only go for headshots meself, but I had one recently where I got bugs right through both eyes, and I was chasing it round for about 5 minutes before it stopped.... :no:

also had one like that jacksdad, on the crest of a hill saw its head poking up shot it, got it in the eye, came further over the crest and there were four others, Swear to god quickest quietest reloading ive ever done with a springer, ( got another two, others ran ) but when i picked it it seemed pretty dead, and that could have only been lying there for a minute ? i guess lucky must play some part...

to be honest ive only ever aimed at the head, however ive had one or two that have hit in the neck which just spasm a bit but i guess it breaks the spinal cord?

I would agree with Shropshire Lad, get some sticks if you are having problems with accuracy, I never go out without them.

As for head/chest, well that's up to you but with bunnies I prefer brain shots as you know exactly where to aim, and you don't damage the meat or have big blood clots and theres no chance of feeding your dog any lead (if you remove the head).

With pigeons however, I do use chest/neck shots most beacuse it drops them quick and stops them flapping around and back-flipping too much.

Firstly when i put childish at the start i meant people that were being pathetic and arguing absurdly about it.

There are defiently for and against points which are very strong. And i dont see that people can actually disagree with me as i support both camps therefore making it even (hope that clears that up)

Secondly shooting stick. Most useful advice ive had so far ill try and make myself one (thanks).

And lastly the argument about blood clots and lead in the meat etc Firstly the majority of chest shots ive taken have been mixis and i leave them out for the birds/foxes and dont think the lead in the pellet would kill a fox (please, please correct me if im wrong Yes the blood from a chest shot can be a pain and ssometimes the meat can be ruined however my dad uses his rimfire only for chest shots (on account of his poor vision) and extracting the lead and cleaning the meat has become standard in my house. However admitedly a head shot is a lot better for the meat and the majrity of healthy rabbits i shoot to eat are done with head shots.

And before anyone asks im personally revolted by the idea of eating mixis so don't even bother

Forgot to add i read somewhere that the eye on a rabbit is in front of the brain or just at the start so shots should be placed behing the eye. My sister shot a rabbit through both eyes with the afore mentioned rimfire and it was far from dead Believe me i had to put it out as we didn't have the dog.

All in all a great discussion so far

Edited by theoben fenman

I shoot air (Theoben Fenman funnily enough) and .22 rimmy. I always aim for the head with both. If tail on then I either wait (with air) or aim dead centre (with rimmy) along it's back knowing it will break back hit almost every vital and prob take head out as well.

IMO headshots are the only way to guarantee a clean kill and if I can't hit a target size of 2p at the range I am shooting I shouldn't be shooting at that range. Typically with air I shoot out to 35-40 yards and with rimmy about 70-80 yards but occasionally 90-100 if conditions allow.

Happy shooting.

I shoot air (Theoben Fenman funnily enough) and .22 rimmy. I always aim for the head with both. If tail on then I either wait (with air) or aim dead centre (with rimmy) along it's back knowing it will break back hit almost every vital and prob take head out as well.

IMO headshots are the only way to guarantee a clean kill and if I can't hit a target size of 2p at the range I am shooting I shouldn't be shooting at that range. Typically with air I shoot out to 35-40 yards and with rimmy about 70-80 yards but occasionally 90-100 if conditions allow.

Happy shooting.

wow your doing well mines in .22 and i find that the only decent rnage i can do is about 35 but have ranged at 20 due to the flat trajectory using napier uph. Ive had a load of success with head shots but far too many have been able to run and at short range i find the body shot works because my standing shooting goes as far as about a milk bottle top at 20m

Were does everyone aim on squirrels ?, I find normal side head shots rather ineffective, I either shoot the neck or shoot from below them up through there jaw into there head

Ive only shot one as (funilly enougth) i dont really see many whem ive got a rifle :hmm: but thats the one on my profile page and the side of the head had him out of the tree and kicking his last on the ground. Seemed fairly effective to me but a neck or chest shot may on balance be better for squirrels due to the smaller kill zone on the head and the fragility that i expect their rib cage has.

Like i said earlier severing the wind pipe is hugely effective :good:

Firstly for whomever asked its a labrador

A body shot dosen't normally knock things over outright however several headshots ive taken haven't.

Like one sensible person says do what works for you but i find that occasionaly a body shot is a better option and all the body shots ive taken (i think) have resulted in fast humane deaths (thanks to the dog :D ). If at short range why not take the larger killing area especially when in a bad shooting position and as is the case with my current mercy killing of the mixied rabbits the death is a lot better than dying with no senses.

As i said in the first one some people will only do one however i was expecting at least one body shotter.

Lets not make things personal and just keep the dicsusion to pros and cons and what works for people instead of opinions :good:

You seem to be sort of contradicting yourself saying that you get humane body shots ,but thanks to the dog,now correct me if I am wrong I thought the idea of hunting was to get a clean kill with a bullet/pelet ? thats what is humane ,a disabling shot to the body and letting your hard mouthed lab finish the job is by no means humane in my and I would guess most others eyes.

and if you say you are not getting clean kills with the head shot you are not being accurate enough or you airgun is lacking in power a shot at the back of the eye anywhere to the bottom of the ear will kill them everytime without fail .

wow your doing well mines in .22 and i find that the only decent rnage i can do is about 35 but have ranged at 20 due to the flat trajectory using napier uph. Ive had a load of success with head shots but far too many have been able to run and at short range i find the body shot works because my standing shooting goes as far as about a milk bottle top at 20m

When did you last get your Fenman serviced/chrony'd

Sounds like you may be underpowered?

Try rws superdomes or crossman accupels as I get best results from these accuracy and kill wise.. Bisleys are useless in my Fenman, can't hit barn door from inside..

Also recommend a sling to aid in steadying shot (left forearm around to make tight) and make sure your stance is good

You seem to be sort of contradicting yourself saying that you get humane body shots ,but thanks to the dog,now correct me if I am wrong I thought the idea of hunting was to get a clean kill with a bullet/pelet ? thats what is humane ,a disabling shot to the body and letting your hard mouthed lab finish the job is by no means humane in my and I would guess most others eyes.

and if you say you are not getting clean kills with the head shot you are not being accurate enough or you airgun is lacking in power a shot at the back of the eye anywhere to the bottom of the ear will kill them everytime without fail .

Its more humane than a pellet in the mouth but i can see what you mean but its basically what they used to do when rifles were less accurate. I only do body shots when i think it outbalances the chances of a headshot and in many cases for mixied rabbits a body shot is a more humane death than mixi.

Going to do some more practice today with my standing shots but the point is that body shots present a larger kill area at close range and could be more practicle

When did you last get your Fenman serviced/chrony'd

Sounds like you may be underpowered?

Try rws superdomes or crossman accupels as I get best results from these accuracy and kill wise.. Bisleys are useless in my Fenman, can't hit barn door from inside..

Also recommend a sling to aid in steadying shot (left forearm around to make tight) and make sure your stance is good

I was going to get a chrono recently but my friends one measuerd fps but needed weights and it was an airsofy one. The uph's are the same as superdomes but have pellet lube on (as far as i can work out) i will be getting a sling but a service might be a good idea at the same time.

Thanks for your help

Its more humane than a pellet in the mouth but i can see what you mean but its basically what they used to do when rifles were less accurate. I only do body shots when i think it outbalances the chances of a headshot and in many cases for mixied rabbits a body shot is a more humane death than mixi.

Going to do some more practice today with my standing shots but the point is that body shots present a larger kill area at close range and could be more practicle

Ok, without getting mod'ed, YOUR A TROLL!!

I think the above post was unnecessary!

Perhaps I shall pit it more diplomatically...

Don't shoot anymore at live quarry until:

1) you have confirmed your gun is up to power

2) you can consistently hit a target the size of 2p at your max hunting range (if that's only 20 yards then do not take longer shots)

3) you realise that with air the only appropriate shot is instant kill. Be it headshots, my strong pref or guaranteed heart shot (unlikely)

4) be sure you cam kill cleanly 1st shot, I.e not sending snoopy after it!

Until you can do all the above, you really should stick to can bashing!

Good luck

Firstly im not sure what you mean by troll but if you mean the whole tusks and jaz then as far as i know im not one.

I completely see what you are saying about accuracy and i will tell you that when im lying down or in a good shooting position i can hit a 1p at over 30m. The point in this disscusion was to find out what people thought and not impose a rule on them. I use body shots only when i think that it out ways the headshot be that because of shooting position or wanting to mercifully kill a mixi. Also i would add that i have shot many rabbits with head shots but just find that they are not allways the best way. I can see what you mean by an instant death by rifle but in all honesty everyone has taken a shot before that didnt kill outright and a body shot may not allways kill outright (allthough the ones ive taken that way without the dog have) but has a larger stopping power for snoopy or mutley to catch up with floppsy (if it had got anywhere) and caught him and dispached him as cleanly as a blow to the skull from a skick (or what you will)

If your going to be personal please dont post just make your opinions known so that anyone reading can make there own judgement on the evidence they see.

Again im not a in either camp so your not offending (or whatever the correct word is) me as im on both sides. (You would effectively be contradicting yourself, and the person who said i was that comes with supporting both sides :good: )

• 1 month later...
Guest cookoff013

last time i uses a springer.

cant say the shots were extreme distance, 15yards maximum. the shots were just clean clinical accuracy. head shot behind the eye. really low magnification 3x and it just stopped. no jumping or anything. just lay down.

I use head shots, but I go to the shooting range more than live killing, I've shot well over 3000 pellets there. Have fun and get in mini comps, few quid in the pot buys the drinks for who wins. if you have a pcp and a bipod/sticks/or a tree branch to rest it on then there is no reason not to go for a head shot, especially below 40yrds. Springers can be as accurate and the pellet has normally left before the recoil anyways. Set your sights and get to know the gun, where it shoots at different ranges. Mines set at 35yrds(.22 s410), 4 mill dots up at 60yrds and can hit the £2 coin size target 9/10 times. 2.5 up at 50yrds. Not saying it would be enough power to kill at them ranges but they are certainly accurate to that. You also meet some top chaps Down the range and have a good day using other people's guns aswell. If the rabbit is closer isn't that more reason to get it in the head ? As it's alot bigger at 15yrds than at 35 :s